(Former) Spirit Style Landing Challenge.

14 hours ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

I'm just going to leave this perfectly good, @killakrust score destroying entry ;)

Welp, I landed a 9 tonne roving science base spirit style last night. Game on!!

I tried ditching the engine after the de-orbit burn, but kept hitting the ground too hard. I ended up doing a suicide burn with the remaining fuel instead.

Edited by killakrust

24 minutes ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Duna's atmo is too hard to fly in. Plus, this challenge is to Lithobrake, MER2 style

You can totally fly on Duna, you just need more lifting surfaces than on Kerbin. And there's no rules against that.

Tatonf. I know this challenge features more "creative" MER2 landing styles, but, remind me, did Spirit fly? Also

Plus, this challenge is to Lithobrake, MER2 style (SPAddict)

MER 2 didn't exactly lithobrake, and the challenge posts themselves deviated a bit from MER 2's actual landing sequence. But that's fine, so long as no one goes overboard with the creativity- the main point is "reenter, crash, survive undamaged".

Edited by 073198681

Finally. SPAddict and Killakrust, please inform me of your attempts' collision velocities and amount of parts broken (SPAddict already informed me of the velocity, but not the broke parts). That way, I can actually give you places on the leaderboard, with stats and descriptions next to your names.

Also, SPAddict, please confirm if you're doing this in combination with the elcano challenge, so that I can award you extra points for awesomeness. Please post the link for the elcano challenge if you can, this needs proof.

Edited by 073198681

1 hour ago, SpaceplaneAddict said:

Elcano is in queue behind Tylo and Dres, so I'm forfeiting those. Broken parts, I'm guessing was only 5 at max. 

That is good, though I will have to cancel the ten point extra score I was about to give you for the Duna elcano; you forfeited it (which I think means that you gave up on it).Your score will be visible on the leaderboard. 

Now, we just wait for Killakrust...

Edited by 073198681

6 hours ago, 073198681 said:

That is good, though I will have to cancel the ten point extra score I was about to give you for the Duna elcano; you forfeited it (which I think means that you gave up on it).Your score will be visible on the leaderboard. 

Now, we just wait for Killakrust...

OK, well tbh I didn't do either of my submissions with points in mind.

The first one with the small rover was:

• Speed: 24m/s
  • Broken parts: 4 cubic struts (no broken parts on rover)

Second one with 9T Science Lab

• Speed: 23m/s
  • Broken parts: 6 cubic struts 2 airbrakes (2 damaged wheels on rover - repaired by kerbal)

7 hours ago, killakrust said:

OK, well tbh I didn't do either of my submissions with points in mind.

The first one with the small rover was:

• Speed: 24m/s
  • Broken parts: 4 cubic struts (no broken parts on rover)

Second one with 9T Science Lab

• Speed: 23m/s
  • Broken parts: 6 cubic struts 2 airbrakes (2 damaged wheels on rover - repaired by kerbal)

Nice. I posted your score. However, only your last attempt counts. Otherwise, the whole page will be filled with scores by the end of this challenge. You got... 15 points? I recommend going for speed next time, and basing yourself less on structural integrity, take SPAddict as a nice example. Also, you may wonder why I omitted the damaged wheels. They don't count, as they can easily be repaired by a kerbal.

Edited by 073198681

• 3 months later...
On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2015 at 1:25 AM, killakrust said:

Welp, I landed a 9 tonne roving science base spirit style last night. Game on!!

I tried ditching the engine after the de-orbit burn, but kept hitting the ground too hard. I ended up doing a suicide burn with the remaining fuel instead.

What mod for the cool atmosphere

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.