[1.1.3] Procedural Parts - Parts the way you want 'em - v1.2.5 July 3

OtherBarry

4 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

Was anyone able to find a cause/fix for the problem of the parts list disappearing?  I've tried running the mod both with and without the recompiled .dll.  

To my knowledge there are about 4 reported cases of this (including yours above) so I'm going to have to say no. It doesn't seem to be a common issue. If you post your output_log.txt file I'll try comparing it to @baldamundo's log from earlier on this page and see if I can find a common denominator. (most likely some other mod interacting badly with PP)

You should run the game to the point that you go into the editor and find your parts list empty. (does that happen immediately upon loading a game save and going straight to the editor?)

And is it all parts? Or just some or most of them?

Also: If your game is downloaded through Steam, try verifying the cache files for KSP.

Edited by Starwaster

2 hours ago, Starwaster said:

To my knowledge there are about 4 reported cases of this (including yours above) so I'm going to have to say no. It doesn't seem to be a common issue. If you post your output_log.txt file I'll try comparing it to @baldamundo's log from earlier on this page and see if I can find a common denominator. (most likely some other mod interacting badly with PP)

You should run the game to the point that you go into the editor and find your parts list empty. (does that happen immediately upon loading a game save and going straight to the editor?)

And is it all parts? Or just some or most of them?

Also: If your game is downloaded through Steam, try verifying the cache files for KSP.

Reproduction steps- 

1. start game/resume saved game

2. enter VAB

3. no parts list at all. 

Output log- 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6AubkMOT5rrbEZ5SlBLaDIzLUk

I appreciate you checking it out.  Thanks.  

2 hours ago, jdub3350 said:

Reproduction steps- 

1. start game/resume saved game

2. enter VAB

3. no parts list at all. 

Output log- 

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6AubkMOT5rrbEZ5SlBLaDIzLUk

I appreciate you checking it out.  Thanks.  

I think someone reported a similar issue when using  PP and DRE though I don't recall the entire parts list getting smashed. At the time I released a workaround fix for DRE but I remember thinking at the time that it was something that could easily affect other mods and sure enough, it is.

Pretty sure I know where it's happening. Same error as before but the timing of it seems to be such that it stops the parts list from being initialized.

I'll throw in some sanity checking and put up a new file for download replacing the one in my dropbox. Look for that sometime later today; not sure when I can get to it.

I'll probably end up doing a fork and doing a release on Github unless either of the maintainers show up before then but they don't seem to have been around since October or November :(

29 minutes ago, Starwaster said:

I think someone reported a similar issue when using  PP and DRE though I don't recall the entire parts list getting smashed. At the time I released a workaround fix for DRE but I remember thinking at the time that it was something that could easily affect other mods and sure enough, it is.

Pretty sure I know where it's happening. Same error as before but the timing of it seems to be such that it stops the parts list from being initialized.

I'll throw in some sanity checking and put up a new file for download replacing the one in my dropbox. Look for that sometime later today; not sure when I can get to it.

I'll probably end up doing a fork and doing a release on Github unless either of the maintainers show up before then but they don't seem to have been around since October or November :(

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  By new file, do you mean a new proceduralparts.dll or a new file for DRE?  

Thanks again. 

11 minutes ago, jdub3350 said:

Thanks!  I really appreciate it.  By new file, do you mean a new proceduralparts.dll or a new file for DRE?  

Thanks again. 

New ProceduralParts.dll file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8385vooo95i6c5m/ProceduralParts.dll?dl=1

What's changed:

• Added exception handling for part.Modules.Contains() in ProceduralPart.GetModuleCost()
  • Also updated the version checker to check against KSP 1.2.2 so that the annoying compatibility window stops popping up when you run KSP

Some caveats about this fix:

• I cannot test it since I am currently unable to reproduce it. I'd need to know exactly which mod it's tripping up on. But it should fix the problem of the parts list vanishing or other editor issues that this was affecting.
  • If Modular Fuels or Real Fuels is installed then the cost of those parts might be wrong! That would happen under a very specific set of circumstances where a ProceduralPart contains the PartModule 'ModuleFuelTanks' and also contains as yet unknown PartModules which cause errors when part.Modules.Contains() is called. (i.e. if the error was happening to someone and they download this fix then their PP MFT/RF parts may have the wrong cost - but that's better than the alternative of not having a parts list)

Regarding item #2, I'll look into a better way to do that check instead of just containing the error, if possible. And I'm not even 100% sure that the cost would be affected. Again though, it only affects someone who was having this error AND has MFT or RF installed too. 

@baldamundo including you in on this since you were also having a problem with your parts list getting nuked

Here are the changes that were made to the source code:

https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/commit/0cfe78ffa7b655b6a4cc16ae810440c74360b0a0

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Sovek said:

For some reason the fairings arnt working in 1.2.2 even with the fix. Any way to resolve this?

What fairings are you talking about? The heat shield fairings? I don't see a problem with them. Can you be more precise please?

9 hours ago, Starwaster said:

What fairings are you talking about? The heat shield fairings? I don't see a problem with them. Can you be more precise please?

The payload and stage fairings. They appear to form to parts but there is no stage icon.

On 3/21/2017 at 7:22 AM, jdub3350 said:

I think you want the Procedural Fairings mod.  

Oh, didnt realize that was a seperate mod. 

One other question. Im playing with a different tech tree than stock (engineers) and the longer fuel tanks arnt unlocking yet I have access to long 1.25m tanks. How do i go about removing the tech requirements

13 minutes ago, Sovek said:

One other question. Im playing with a different tech tree than stock (engineers) and the longer fuel tanks arnt unlocking yet I have access to long 1.25m tanks. How do i go about removing the tech requirements

I play with UbM and used the following (from the front page of the Procedural Parts GitHub)- 

How to cheat in career mode have lower tech restrictions

The current tech restrictions have been tailored to closely mimic stock, with a bit of room to alter the original specs. Note that this will not be changed with the out of the box config.

If you'd like more generous limits, you can create a MM patch (ie: cut and paste this into a file called mycheats.cfg in your GameData dir) and tweak to your liking:

@PART[proceduralTank*] 
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralPart]
	{
		@TECHLIMIT,*
		{
			// Increase the max length for all tech levels by 3*
			@lengthMax *= 3
			// Corresponding volume increase
			@volumeMax *= 3

// Increase the max diameter by double
			@diameterMax *= 2
			// Since volume goes up on diameter^2, need to use increase^2
			@volumeMax *= 4
		}
	}
}

This will affect all procedural tanks and the SRB. The name of the Real Fuels SRB is "proceduralSRBRealFuels" so you'll need to make another similar patch for that one if you want to mess with that too.

If you'd like to be able to use all the shapes from the early game then use the following MM patch:

@PART[*] 
{
	@MODULE[ProceduralShape*]
	{
		-techRequired = dummy
	}
}

This will affect all parts.

I don't know if anyone has thought of this or not, but I had an idea for a new mod.  Since it is way past my ability level, I thought I would ask here.

A Procedural Capsule would be a great addition to our suite of procedural parts.  A procedural capsule would allow you to:

• Assign number of occupants
  • Size, Length, Width, Height (which may set the number of occupants)
  • Basic Shape
  • Tank contents
  • Various procedural life support
  • Ablator

And so on...

(I also posted this in add-on discussions)

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/12/2017 at 4:54 PM, Starwaster said:

New ProceduralParts.dll file: https://www.dropbox.com/s/8385vooo95i6c5m/ProceduralParts.dll?dl=1

What's changed:

• Added exception handling for part.Modules.Contains() in ProceduralPart.GetModuleCost()
  • Also updated the version checker to check against KSP 1.2.2 so that the annoying compatibility window stops popping up when you run KSP

Some caveats about this fix:

• I cannot test it since I am currently unable to reproduce it. I'd need to know exactly which mod it's tripping up on. But it should fix the problem of the parts list vanishing or other editor issues that this was affecting.
  • If Modular Fuels or Real Fuels is installed then the cost of those parts might be wrong! That would happen under a very specific set of circumstances where a ProceduralPart contains the PartModule 'ModuleFuelTanks' and also contains as yet unknown PartModules which cause errors when part.Modules.Contains() is called. (i.e. if the error was happening to someone and they download this fix then their PP MFT/RF parts may have the wrong cost - but that's better than the alternative of not having a parts list)

Regarding item #2, I'll look into a better way to do that check instead of just containing the error, if possible. And I'm not even 100% sure that the cost would be affected. Again though, it only affects someone who was having this error AND has MFT or RF installed too. 

@baldamundo including you in on this since you were also having a problem with your parts list getting nuked

Here are the changes that were made to the source code:

https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/commit/0cfe78ffa7b655b6a4cc16ae810440c74360b0a0

Just bumping this post back up so nobody gets confused on searching for it. 

On 3/22/2017 at 10:34 AM, Sovek said:

When you say the longer fuel tanks, which ones are you referring to?  

In other words, could you specify which 1.25m tanks you have access to and which other tanks you don't?

I put together a proper release for Procedural Parts on my Github repository so that people don't have to mess with dropping the dll in. If you already grabbed the one from my dropbox link then you don't need this. Also notified linuxgurugamer so he can update CKAN

https://github.com/Starwaster/ProceduralParts/releases/latest

On 22/03/2017 at 2:49 PM, jdub3350 said:

I play with UbM and used the following (from the front page of the Procedural Parts GitHub)- 

I'm using this MM patch (the one that removes all restrictions in career mode) but the maximum length my tanks can be is still 8m. Do I need to name the .cfg something specific or do I need to put it in a specific folder?