[1.8-1.12] TextureReplacer 4.5.3 (8.2.2022)

shaw

You TRReflection Module is cool :wink: However, I did not find any way to cumulate a reflective shader AND an emissive map. If I set my shader to Reflective/Specular or whatever it is there is no option for an emissive map. And if I add a second material set to KSP/Emissive/Specular with the correct emissive texture the heat animation still doesn't show up. Any ideas?

11 hours ago, Zarbizaure said:

You TRReflection Module is cool :wink: However, I did not find any way to cumulate a reflective shader AND an emissive map. If I set my shader to Reflective/Specular or whatever it is there is no option for an emissive map. And if I add a second material set to KSP/Emissive/Specular with the correct emissive texture the heat animation still doesn't show up. Any ideas?

No, currently there's no shader that would render reflections and emission at a time as far as I know. Maybe someone makes a mod to add such shader.

Hmm

@shaw and @RangeMachine, do you think it will be possible to get the reflection shaders to run alongside the stock highlight and light shaders in 1.1.3? It's been a long running complaint on the WindowShine thread that you can't turn on the interior lights or highlight parts :(. I'll be updating the reflection textures soon and I'm hoping that either of you could have even a vague answer to if it could be fixed?

EDIT:

Also, for those who are curious I just revisited @Endraxial's planet textures and added proper alpha channels to the non-ocean bodies. Everything should look nice and have proper amounts of shine from orbit. Link for ease of access :). Also just updated WindowShine.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

14 hours ago, Avera9eJoe said:

Hmm

@shaw and @RangeMachine, do you think it will be possible to get the reflection shaders to run alongside the stock highlight and light shaders in 1.1.3? It's been a long running complaint on the WindowShine thread that you can't turn on the interior lights or highlight parts :(. I'll be updating the reflection textures soon and I'm hoping that either of you could have even a vague answer to if it could be fixed?

EDIT:

Also, for those who are curious I just revisited @Endraxial's planet textures and added proper alpha channels to the non-ocean bodies. Everything should look nice and have proper amounts of shine from orbit. Link for ease of access :). Also just updated WindowShine.

Hey Joe, the link for Endraxial DDS Conversion goes to a non-existent dropbox file.

Ach just fixed that thanks. It appears as though DropBox generated new links while I was asleep.

EDIT:

Also crap... sorry @shaw for not reading previous comments and then pinging you asking the same thing... what exactly does an "emissive shader/texture" do in KSP? I did a short bit of research and found nothing helpful. is it related to cabin lights? Part highlighting? Reflections? I'd like to squelch my ignorance in this. I hate asking so many questions of you all.

Edited by Avera9eJoe

On 1. 7. 2016 at 4:13 PM, Avera9eJoe said:

Ach just fixed that thanks. It appears as though DropBox generated new links while I was asleep.

EDIT:

Also crap... sorry @shaw for not reading previous comments and then pinging you asking the same thing... what exactly does an "emissive shader/texture" do in KSP? I did a short bit of research and found nothing helpful. is it related to cabin lights? Part highlighting? Reflections? I'd like to squelch my ignorance in this. I hate asking so many questions of you all.

I'm a bit rusty about that, but as far as I remember, there are two textures for emissive parts: the base texture and the emission texture. When the emission is active, the emission texture is added (or blended?) to the base texture. The problem is the ambiguity of the alpha channel in the base texture, there a whole mess about it in Unity. "(Bumped) Specular" and emissive shader treat it as an information about how shiny the part is in the specific pixel. "(Bumped) Diffuse" shader ignores it. Transparency shaders threat is as information about transparency in specific pixel. Stock (Unity's) reflective shader understands it as how reflective a part in specific pixel is ... But what if you want to adjust per pixel transparency AND shininness AND reflectiveness? So that problem arises when you want to create shaders with multiple special features, like reflectiveness + emission.

Usually, game engines use a whole additional texture or two for such purpose. E.g. my game engine uses an additional "mask" texture which defines per-pixel shininness (red channel), emission (green) and reflection (blue). And alpha in the base texture means exactly what it is primarily meant for: transparency.

3 hours ago, shaw said:

I'm a bit rusty about that, but as far as I remember, there are two textures for emissive parts: the base texture and the emission texture. When the emission is active, the emission texture is added (or blended?) to the base texture. The problem is the ambiguity of the alpha channel in the base texture, there a whole mess about it in Unity. "(Bumped) Specular" and emissive shader treat it as an information about how shiny the part is in the specific pixel. "(Bumped) Diffuse" shader ignores it. Transparency shaders threat is as information about transparency in specific pixel. Stock (Unity's) reflective shader understands it as how reflective a part in specific pixel is ... But what if you want to adjust per pixel transparency AND shininness AND reflectiveness? So that problem arises when you want to create shaders with multiple special features, like reflectiveness + emission.

Usually, game engines use a whole additional texture or two for such purpose. E.g. my game engine uses an additional "mask" texture which defines per-pixel shininness (red channel), emission (green) and reflection (blue). And alpha in the base texture means exactly what it is primarily meant for: transparency.

Hmm... That makes sense. I always thought it odd that the part textures also controlled reflectiveness. I've had to do some interesting layer blending in order to get the textures to still show up while having good looking reflection. As a curious thought, what if you made reflectiveness draw from a separate texture just like the emissive? Could that possibly fix the problems? I'd be willing to redo all my textures if it fixed highlighting and emissive issues.

For some reason this mod is showing as incompatible on CKAN with the latest version of KSP. I'm guessing it's comparing the 1.1.3 version string against the 1.1.3.1289 string that CKAN is extracting from wherever, and noting that they don't match. I'm not sure how you'd fix it, but I thought I'd let you know.

:/ @shaw I sadly have to report a bad new bug with the reflection plugin. It seems as though if the module is added to docking ports, they lose their right-click menus.

From the WindowShine thread:

1 hour ago, Kami_K220 said:

I seem to be having with docking ports with the new release. I can no longer right click and undock or disable crossfeed. Not sure what other information i can give to help

The bug disappears when the plugin is removed. I tested it in a stock install with the plugin and it had the same issue. - For the time being I'll be removing the docking ports from WindowShine :P - I'm sure you've got higher priorities but I hope you can get around to looking at this when you next have ample time?

I have to report another issue with the reflection plugin :P - Landing legs behave extremely weird with the reflection module on them. They "half" lock up after retracting them once and then take like ten seconds before they extend again. They also start extended in the editor...

Reflexes not working on OS X KSP too, but i believe you all know that (OS X is only Open GL).

So, here comes my question, please don't say some one already answer that xxx pages before, because is so much simpler to write the answer than do that comment (rsrsrsrsrsrs).

Have any prediction to if will be working again as before 1.x, and when?

Thank you for your kindness.

:wink:

Edited by Climberfx

On 5/18/2016 at 1:09 PM, Poodmund said:
On 5/17/2016 at 8:28 PM, Gorby1 said:

I like this, and I know you're probably more focused on OPM-VO right now (which is awesome) but have you given any thought to making a nebula skybox that is less "calm", such as one that is Upset or possibly even Angry? As in, something with a lot more filament structure that's maybe more dense and/or brighter? I'd love to fly around a solar system that somehow exists inside of a violent nebula!

Haha, I genuinely laughed when I read your post. :D Possibly, I may have a dabble. As you said I have some more pertinent projects at the moment but maybe when things die down a little in a month or two I could give it a shot. 

Bug me in a month or two's time and remind me. :wink: 

Here I was, updating all of my visual effects mods thanks to the great new Scatterer update, wondering if there's any Angry Nebula skyboxes I could use, and lo and behold - it's been 2 months! :D

I'd still be very interested, if you're up for it. I usually alternate between your Milky Way and Calm Nebula skyboxes but the empty blackness of space is getting to me... clearly I'd never last on a real-life deep space mission.

On 5/17/2016 at 7:48 AM, RangeMachine said:

Finally, I restored visor reflections shader. I spent many time to find a way to render atmosphere layer, but it's no result. So it's like an old reflections, without atmosphere.

You can download updated plugin from my GitHub fork, until @shaw updating his main branch.

Reveal hidden contents

QlhWOBN.jpg

q4agQ4P.png

@RangeMachine, I'm getting an oddity with the reflections.  It doesn't seem to reflect any ground textures during daylight.  It does reflect ground textures of the KSC at night, but not Kerbin ground textures.

Any ideas on this?

2 hours ago, Tomato29 said:

I'm such an idiot that I can't even find the idiot-proof instructions :l

No man, this time is not you. The link on first page/post is wrong or was deleted.

I have the same return here too.

5 hours ago, Climberfx said:

No man, this time is not you. The link on first page/post is wrong or was deleted.

I have the same return here too.

haha okay I'm not that dumb (I hope :o )

edit: damn I found a non-kerbalized smiley :)

Edited by Tomato29

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.