Help please

blossm13

can someone please make a ship that

a)is made of only stock parts (or has mods that arent 'cheating' + links)

and

B) can fly to the mun and back with ample fuel (i cant grasp fuel efficiency)

much apreciated

my ships turn out like this

x5Ewr.jpg

THANX HEAPS blossm13

Rocket Science, it just isn\'t easy, not even in this game.

You need to practice and practice more, it\'s so much more satisfying to accomplish it yourself rather than going to the point of asking others for a ship.

Trust me, keep going strong, it\'ll be like a victory when you do it right.

To give some inspiration, here\'s the first craft i landed on the Mun:

bamimakeitlookeasy.png

When it decouples at it\'s various stages to enter the next phase, it always had 1/5-1/4 fuel left, so it\'s pretty safe and has a good error tolerance.

In addition, it is very stable and doesn\'t wobble the slightest, which means it has a good aerodynamic economy and steering reliability, beyond that, it\'s just a stock rocket.

Y\'know, if humans were indestructible, we\'d be able to fly our rockets manually -- it\'s like anything, you just need practice :P

Problem is, if you make a mistake, you\'re dead, so practice and experience is a bit hard to get xD

I suggest that you try to look at some of the others around here. There are many good designs. I\'ll share my first design that made it to the mun and back. Its a little hard to maneuverer with all the stages attached but once you get out of the atmosphere you have plenty of time to adjust and move the rocket around. =) Oh yeah, it has plenty of fuel for errors. :)

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11003858/MoonRocket%208.rar

More than likely, if you can\'t make it to the Mun, you can\'t make a proper orbit (no offense aimed at you!).

Definitely work for an orbit first. It really doesn\'t take a whole lot to get a craft into orbit, and not much more to get it to the Mun

More than likely, if you can\'t make it to the Mun, you can\'t make a proper orbit (no offense aimed at you!).

Definitely work for an orbit first. It really doesn\'t take a whole lot to get a craft into orbit, and not much more to get it to the Mun

i can get into orbit and make my ap get to 11,400,000 metres but from there i start orbiting the mun and fly off never to be seen again (or i hit the mun)

You want your ap to be greater than the Mun\'s orbit. Keep in mind that you need to be close to it to go into orbit but if you put your apoapsis at the Mun\'s orbital radius you\'ll get smacked by the Mun as it comes around. Aim for about 12,400,000~14,000,000m. This will give you a nice free-return trajectory to Kerbin if you don\'t do anything, and will make sure you don\'t hit the Mun. Make sure that once you get into the Mun\'s sphere of influence you burn retrograde at periapsis to get a nice orbit.

For landing, you want to try and kill all of your horizontal velocity and baby it down. Don\'t worry about getting back the first time, just land. You\'ll get a better feel for it with practice. And if you want to come back, make sure you don\'t use a ship that\'s designed to land on its engine. It\'s very easy to lose the engine on landing.

To expand on ferram\'s landing tips here\'s a video demostration of it. (not my video btw)

KSP: Mun landing tutorial

My rocket if flown right has more than enough fuel in it to make many munar orbital translations and to land. It\'s really not an original design so I won\'t post any .craft files for it.

i just got to the moon and the surface was at 1500 and WAS NOT THERE I WENT THRU THE MOON ????? any ideas

What\'s your Planet Detail Factor set to? If it\'s low (especially 0), try increasing it to 70-100%. Performance should still be acceptable, even on a Pentium 4 and Radeon 9xxx equivalent video card.

What? Need to be a little more descriptive, but I think what you\'re after is the graphics settings. From the main menu, go into the options menu and pick the Graphics section.

ohkay and hers one of my designs if a ddecemnt piolit (as i am not one) could tell me if its possible to land and return from moon and please sort if ro my it would be great thanks!.

ohkay and hers one of my designs if a ddecemnt piolit (as i am not one) could tell me if its possible to land and return from moon and please sort if ro my it would be great thanks!.

It is possible to do it! Was nice to use some manual steering again after some while :)

I took some screenshots of my mission to the moon with your rocket:

(I hope the dropbox gallery works for this, if not i can re-upload somewhere else)

https://www.dropbox.com/gallery/9478008/1/KSP-moon-mission-blossm13rocket?h=5becce

Explanations to each picture:

01: Fuel levels after getting into a nice 159x151 km orbit

02: Getting to the Mun (i always go east, 90 degrees on the navball)

03: Fuel levels after adjusting orbit for Mun intercept

04: Fuel levels after a nice 60x55 km Mun orbit insertion

05: First try landing after getting rid of some orbital velocity

06: First try landing after some more breaking

07: Fuel levels for landing

08: Ready for landing nearly zero velocity and very low

09: SURPRISE: solid rocket booster in the next stage ;)

10: New trajectory after solid rocket booster burnout

11: Fuel level after breaking with last stage

12: Nearly landed on the surface, there there are no landing struts :(

13: Abort of landing, let\'s head back home

14: Heading back from Mun

15: Fuel level after getting to intercept orbit for landing

16: Reeintry before landing

17: Using parachute to land

18: Savely landet, everyone still alive :)

Some thoughts:

The RCS in the first stage are useless because the winglets are good enough, I suggest deleting the RCS (and RCS fuel tanks).

Solid rocket boosters are only useful if used very early (first stage), because it\'s not possible to regulate thrust or shut them down, replace with liquid engine and tank.

Get some landing struts on there, balancing on a single engine will end with explosion on the mun.

It\'s a bit difficult to get to orbit with the 4 engines in the second (?) stage, the 4 engines in the middle. They are a bit weak and changing direction is difficult, and they are underpowered for that part of the flight, i suggest shortening the first stage and using gimbaling engines after that.

so this is my moon landing rocket, should be enough to get you there and back. It helps not to jetison the legs+ fuel tanks unless they are out of fuel. If some part fails, sorry, I use a lot of mods but this one should be completely stock.