[1.4.1] Magico13's Modlets (Sensible Screenshot, Dated QuickSaves, etc.)

magico13

Yeah, basically the only reason I made it was because marce was having issues with the tech tree saving its state after using the debug menu and asked me for some pointers. Figured it'd be a fun little distraction for an hour or two ;) Never actually tested it with KCT, so KCT might still be a bit mad about it.

Debug did the same to me Thank You for this.

I meant giving yourself science and money or was that removed from 1.0?

I really hope you 2 saw the white text last time since you quoted me lol :P

Have you ever tried unlocking the tech tree in one go? Sooo many annoying clicks. Magico rules.

I meant giving yourself science and money or was that removed from 1.0?

I really hope you 2 saw the white text last time since you quoted me lol :P

I saw the white text :P I thought you were talking about the new features they added in 1.0 for making changes to the tech tree. Apparently you can unlock nodes with it (I didn't actually try the tools out), but they either don't save or were having issues saving in marce's case. The method this uses seems to stay saved though. You can always just give yourself money/science, but unlocking the whole tree manually, especially with all the new nodes in 1.0, could be quite annoying, haha! :D

Hey! Loving this mod :)

I just have a short feature request, would it be possible to get the MET as an option for the save string?

It was something I had considered putting in, but just hadn't done so. I'll add it in the next time I work on Sensible Screenshot. When you're not flying a vessel, would you rather have it use the current in-game time or would you rather it just be set to 0?

It was something I had considered putting in, but just hadn't done so. I'll add it in the next time I work on Sensible Screenshot. When you're not flying a vessel, would you rather have it use the current in-game time or would you rather it just be set to 0?

Current in game time would be more obvious, I think.

There's an update to Field Experience to version 1.0.1. [snip] Let me know if you find any other weird quirks. I was a bit worried that the experience would accidentally skyrocket to higher than it should be, but limited testing showed that to not be the case.

I'm seeing this. Orbiting Kerbin and planting a flag on the Mun gives you 7 XP total, just shy of enough for level 2, but my crew on return registered 2 and even 3 stars. So far I think it's mostly only when jumping to a ship via Kerbal Alarm Clock, so not huge.

I still think this is the greatest thing, thanks so much for it.

• 2 weeks later...
Re3 update planned or no? Was just reading a thread about fusing docking ports and remembered Re3 did something similar so yeah.. is an update planned?

I'll get an update out today. Might not have any more features than the current version, but I'll at least get it to a functional state :)

Edit: I "updated" Re3. All I ended up doing was change the keys to Alt-F6 instead of F10 and recompiled for 1.0.2. Tested it out and it worked about as well as before. Discovered a fun glitch where you can duplicate half a ship. I need to take some time to properly work on it, but I'm halfway through a new KCT feature.

Edited by magico13

• 2 weeks later...
Installed field experience and had my "Mun-flagged" kerbals at 5 stars, the "Mun-orbited" ones had 3 stars. This would be too high, right? Yes, I am jumping to my ships very often via Kerbal Alarm Clock.

Definitely doesn't sound right. I haven't had that happen myself, but others have mentioned it. I believe they mentioned it happening when jumping to ships with Kerbal Alarm Clock. The good news is it shouldn't be a permanent issue, since FieldExperience doesn't write anything to the save file.

Thanks, this is what I suspected. In the meanwhile, I am getting used to having another incentive to actually bring my Kerbonauts back to the surface once in a while (before they get mad from being indefinitely locked into a can out there...).

I would like to ask (and report a bug) how does the xp is getting calculated ?

Before this flight nobody of the kerbals left the Kerbin SOI.

Some of them were around mun and Minmus and landed on either (but not both). So they should be max lvl 2 (or 3 I think). After being in solar orbit for a day and back they should've been lvl 3.

But as you can see they are counted as 4.

Once I landed they were properly leveled to 3.

I also noticed that a fresh kerbal I just rescued from Minmus surface and stationed him in my science station until a pickup come was lvl 3. Until returning to Kerbing to become lvl 1 and something.

EclaEzd.jpg

Great stuff, Magico :). Any plans on making a way to reduce/eliminate/control the cost of hiring new Kerbals?

I think sarbian has a mod that can do this.

I would like to ask (and report a bug) how does the xp is getting calculated ?

Before this flight nobody of the kerbals left the Kerbin SOI.

Some of them were around mun and Minmus and landed on either (but not both). So they should be max lvl 2 (or 3 I think). After being in solar orbit for a day and back they should've been lvl 3.

But as you can see they are counted as 4.

Once I landed they were properly leveled to 3.

I also noticed that a fresh kerbal I just rescued from Minmus surface and stationed him in my science station until a pickup come was lvl 3. Until returning to Kerbing to become lvl 1 and something.

Others are reporting similar behavior. I'll have to look into it as something may have changed with XP internally between 0.90 and 1.0.2. All Field Experience does is call the Stock function that calculates XP, but for some reason that's not working exactly right. I haven't gotten far enough in my own game to see the bug occur (I don't get to play very often, so I'm not all that far along) so I haven't been able to test it.

If anyone has a mostly stock save that as the problem, please send it to me. As long as the Kerbal/Vessel in question doesn't have any mod parts I think I can load it and test.

Great stuff, Magico :). Any plans on making a way to reduce/eliminate/control the cost of hiring new Kerbals?

Check out KSI-Astronaut-Complex-Overhaul by Oaktree

Hires kerbals based on their stats (stupidity courage affect cost) lets you specify their job, And will hire up to a level 3 kerbals ( for more cost) based on the level of your astronaut complex. (also increases the cost of kerbals based on the number you have killed) But it doesnt scale exponentially like the stock system

How is RE3 coming along? I am looking for a way to edit a ship's root part in flight.

I haven't messed around with it too much lately. My dev time has been spent on my other mods and I've been otherwise preoccupied with other projects and/or work. But it's fairly safe to give it a try since it makes a quicksave (a new one) before it tries to bring the ship into the editor, so if something goes wrong you can always revert back. There's still the Kerbal issue in that it will likely kill any kerbals aboard, but a quick EVA should keep them safe.

Tree Toppler is absolutely unbalanced and cheaty. Me lovey.

I'm actually using it in a pretty realistic career mode by roleplaying a corporation that just buys parts that are developed by other people. Basically, I turned off science and turned on part purchases and just unlock nodes that the R&D center would allow me to based on level. I hate grinding out science so it's made the game much more fun for me :D

I haven't messed around with it too much lately. My dev time has been spent on my other mods and I've been otherwise preoccupied with other projects and/or work. But it's fairly safe to give it a try since it makes a quicksave (a new one) before it tries to bring the ship into the editor, so if something goes wrong you can always revert back. There's still the Kerbal issue in that it will likely kill any kerbals aboard, but a quick EVA should keep them safe.

Well, I tried it in 1.0.4 and it resulted in my station coming back and instantly exploding. Also, While in the VAB nothing could actually be edited. Clicking a part just highlighted it as if selecting it for an action group even though I was in the parts tab.

1TStZIP.png?1

Well, I tried it in 1.0.4 and it resulted in my station coming back and instantly exploding. Also, While in the VAB nothing could actually be edited. Clicking a part just highlighted it as if selecting it for an action group even though I was in the parts tab.

Ah. Unfortunately I'm not really sure if I'll ever be able to get it to work 100% correctly, since it tries to do things that KSP isn't really a fan of (turning Vessels into Ship Constructs), so there's a good chance it won't work for your particular ship then :/ Especially with other mods, there's a lot of things that can go wrong.

What exactly are you trying to do? There might be a way to do it a different way. You said you're trying to edit the root part, but for what reason? If you just want to turn the nav ball around, you can right click on the thing you want to control from and click "Control From Here". If you're trying to swap out parts, you might be able to use KIS (unsure, I haven't tried it).

Ships with things docked to them seem to have more issues, so you might try making a quicksave, then undocking everything you can and then editing it, but there's a good chance other mod related issues will prevent things from working properly. You can send logs if you want, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to really figure anything out right away to fix it.

Ah. Unfortunately I'm not really sure if I'll ever be able to get it to work 100% correctly, since it tries to do things that KSP isn't really a fan of (turning Vessels into Ship Constructs), so there's a good chance it won't work for your particular ship then :/ Especially with other mods, there's a lot of things that can go wrong.

What exactly are you trying to do? There might be a way to do it a different way. You said you're trying to edit the root part, but for what reason? If you just want to turn the nav ball around, you can right click on the thing you want to control from and click "Control From Here". If you're trying to swap out parts, you might be able to use KIS (unsure, I haven't tried it).

Ships with things docked to them seem to have more issues, so you might try making a quicksave, then undocking everything you can and then editing it, but there's a good chance other mod related issues will prevent things from working properly. You can send logs if you want, but I'm not sure that I'll be able to really figure anything out right away to fix it.

I had to undock the module that I needed to fix.

Xhft1iH.png

I got it to work that way and it got back to space just fine, although not exactly inline with the other modules.

What I needed to do was remove the docking port with the lights around it using KIS, take the lights off, then put the port back on. The problem is that when I undock KSP changes the root part to the docking port and KIS won't let me remove it because it technically has other part attached to it.

Using RE3 I was able to change the root part in the VAB to the observation module. After that I was able to use KIS to fix up the docking port because it wasn't the root part anymore! :)

Thanks!

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.