[1.4.1] Magico13's Modlets (Sensible Screenshot, Dated QuickSaves, etc.)

magico13

I decided to have the mods I use from this pack in one folder, I chose
GameData\Magico13s Modlets and the subfolders.

The problem is that the mods save their settings in folders directly under GameData and their specific subfolder.

Could this be changed?

These are pure mods, no parts involved, so the folder structure should be no matter.

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

The problem is that the mods save their settings in folders directly under GameData and their specific subfolder.

Could this be changed?

These are pure mods, no parts involved, so the folder structure should be no matter.

Except folder structure absolutely matters with KSP mods.  What you are asking would require an overhaul/recompile of every dll for each modlet, and then they wouldn't work in separate folders.

4 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

That's actually the opposite. I don't believe parts care as much about their folder structure as plugins do, since plugins need to read and write specific files but parts have little to no control over anything as they can't run code (unless there's a plugin with the parts, as some mods have) and they exist only in the loaded memory of the game.

The plugins do not know what folder they live in. It might be possible to extract the folder their running from, so I can look into that, but it's definitely not standard.

even parts mod with stock only modules can break if you don't install them in the right place (for example with a MODEL module targeting a texture somewhere in the gamedata/mod/etc../... )

Editor Time seems to be trying to save its settings to a non-existent folder:

[EXC 23:07:46.903] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EditorTime\PluginData\config.txt".
        System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
        System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)
        System.IO.File.Open (System.String path, FileMode mode)
        ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName, System.String header)
        ConfigNode.Save (System.String fileFullName)
        EditorTime.EditorTime.OnDestroy ()

It seems I have to manually create that folder prior game launch...

12 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

[EXC 23:07:46.903] IsolatedStorageException: Could not find a part of the path "D:\Kerbal Space Program\GameData\EditorTime\PluginData\config.txt".
        System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share, Int32 bufferSize, Boolean anonymous, FileOptions options)
        System.IO.FileStream..ctor (System.String path, FileMode mode, FileAccess access, FileShare share)

Yep, if you want to break one of the basic rules of KSP mod installation you will have to fix things manually.

On 6/29/2017 at 7:08 AM, Gordon Dry said:

17 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

Those are the last 2 things you said, so it seemed you were explaining an issue that arose from changing the default location of the mods.  If they are now in their native folders I guess that is something my mind reading didn't pick up. :sticktongue:

1 hour ago, Gordon Dry said:

Is it safe to assume that your KSP install is in "d:\kerbal space program" ? What folder is EditorTime installed into?

I just checked out the zip install on GitHub, and if you installed it correctly it should be (assuming the above) in the folder it says it thinks it should be in.

Scratch that. PluginData doesn't exist in the zip. I apologize.

Edited by 5thHorseman

Sorry about that. I used to ship the config file with it but didn't want to overwrite people's settings when they update. For now you'll just have to make the folder yourself (although if you're ok with all the default settings then it doesn't hurt to leave it as-is) until I get to a computer later this week.

15 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Between #1 and #2 are a couple of days ...

Do you think I'm stubborn? Of course I changed the folders on Thursday - come on.

First rule of tech support:
"Never assume the customer has any idea of what they are doing."

First rule for getting tech support:
"Accurately describe the situation.  Don't make the support provider guess."

You're right.
Actually I'm kinda strained because of the latest exponential increase of darn NaN issues that curses my actual vessel project.

Every single time when I consider of doing tabula rasa and starting from scratch with a minimal stock install there is a voice in my head that says with a proper 99% influence:
"Stay on RSS, dude! Don't mess with stock, you're not a kid."

@Ship Save Splicer
Is the exported ship identical in every way, e.g. stored Data and processed experiments for a MobileLab?

Presumably an imported ship will pop in on the same orbit as during export - what about copying a space station into a game with enlarged planets? And what about landed ships/bases?

@modlet request
Could you make a modlet that deals with the brakes issue of not toggling by any means in the stock game?
Either double tapping or alt+B? :)
I looked around but could only find quite old mods that did this ...

6 hours ago, KerbMav said:

@Ship Save Splicer
Is the exported ship identical in every way, e.g. stored Data and processed experiments for a MobileLab?

Presumably an imported ship will pop in on the same orbit as during export - what about copying a space station into a game with enlarged planets? And what about landed ships/bases?

@modlet request
Could you make a modlet that deals with the brakes issue of not toggling by any means in the stock game?
Either double tapping or alt+B? :)
I looked around but could only find quite old mods that did this ...

It's as-if you were to copy and paste the ship out of the save file and into another save file. It takes the entire Vessel node, so that should include all data. If you import a ship into a save with bigger planets you'll probably have a bad time if it was in an orbit that was too low, but if the orbit was high enough it should be fine. The ships get written to a file, so you could alter the orbital parameters in the file to account for that. Landed things would probably be ok as long as the latitude and longitude are still reasonable, but I haven't actually tried that. If it's suddenly on the side of a cliff, or in the ocean, then you might have a bad time. I'd recommend making a quicksave before importing them.

I can look into that but I'm fairly busy. It sounds like it should be really straightforward though. Does the UI button not toggle it?

1 hour ago, magico13 said:

I can look into that but I'm fairly busy. It sounds like it should be really straightforward though. Does the UI button not toggle it?

Of course it does, but it requires to let go of the keyboard and reach for the mouse - not always a good idea/possible and mainly a bother when it should just work easier (and did in the past if I remember correctly).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I did a little bit of work on NIMBY tonight but it's not quite ready for release, probably tomorrow. I fixed a bug where it was accidentally using a longitude instead of a latitude in an equation which resulted in incorrect distance measurements, and I also added a WIP module for mobile recovery beacons. Right now they require ModuleManager, a command pod, a science lab, and any antenna (including the built in one, I want to change that to a bigger one though). They also only work when within 2km of a vessel, in the flight scene only, and cannot recover themselves. I'm trying to get the flight scene requirement (they have to be loaded) eliminated since it also is causing them not to show up as the closest beacon when they're more than 2.5km away.

You can grab it from here if you want to play around with it before I get it finalized: http://magico13.net:8080/job/Modlets/

Edit: The NIMBY update is now released and doesn't require the vessel to be loaded to work, meaning it will work from the tracking station and will properly tell you if a mobile beacon is nearby.

Edited by magico13

• 2 weeks later...
20 hours ago, awang said:

Just curious, how difficult do you think it would be to add the ability to have time pass at different rates in the editor, a la time warp?

It would actually be pretty easy to do since all of the passage of time in the editor is handled by Editor Time. I just haven't gotten around to it yet

On 19/08/2017 at 4:04 AM, awang said:

Just curious, how difficult do you think it would be to add the ability to have time pass at different rates in the editor, a la time warp?

Also just curious; what mechanism would decide the "warp factor"? (if it is done manually only, you might as well warp outside of the editor).

On 8/19/2017 at 6:57 PM, magico13 said:

It would actually be pretty easy to do since all of the passage of time in the editor is handled by Editor Time. I just haven't gotten around to it yet

Awesome! If you have any hints, I may be able to take a look

14 hours ago, Rodhern said:

Also just curious; what mechanism would decide the "warp factor"? (if it is done manually only, you might as well warp outside of the editor).

I was thinking it'd be done manually. I didn't want to warp outside of the editor since warping is realllyyyyy slow on my machine, and because it gives the KCT delays a bit more meaning compared to just warping through them, without having to spend way too much time in the editor designing things.

On 8/20/2017 at 8:38 PM, awang said:

Awesome! If you have any hints, I may be able to take a look

EditorTime is extremely simple, just a single source file. The actual code that changes the time in-game just looks at the change in real time since the last run, multiplies that by the "time ratio" and then tacks that onto the current in-game time. Warping would just be changing the time ratio, plus you'd want to have the UI update. The real issue with warping is stopping the warp at important times (like Alarm Clock alarms), which is something that should be implemented at the same time. Thankfully KAC has an API for that, but I haven't felt any real desire to spend my time on Editor Time when I've got other stuff to work on.

EditorTime source: https://github.com/magico13/Modlets/blob/master/EditorTime/EditorTime.cs

KAC wrapper: https://github.com/TriggerAu/KerbalAlarmClock/blob/master/KerbalAlarmClock/API/KACWrapper.cs

Edited by magico13

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.