[1.3.0] Mobile Frame System [MFS] (v0.3.3) [29.05.2017]

riocrokite

cSfMXiL.png

Mobile Frame System

Designed for all your planetary mobile engineering and hauling needs !

WQYazzc.png

Ore delivery. FH and FHX frames in action with awesome ZodiusInfuser's wheels from Infernal Robotics Model Rework mod. Example vehicle:

Javascript is disabled. View full album

fWenBxU.jpg

Some of the parts

Sample usages:

Ore delivery vehicle for MKS base using FTT kontainers (hauling 750t of ore on tracks and when empty get quickly back using 3 x lv-n)

(color pack) Alternate colors for cabin and cargo container:

Development thread:

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/101239-WIP-Mining-and-Processing-Extension-KMPI-resumed?highlight=kmpi

Mod characteristics

• Lightweight - reusing same textures wherever possible
  • Modular - multiple versions of frames lets you build vehicles for many purposes and help to reduce your part count
  • Compact - most parts are merged into one configurable part so the part browser is not cluttered
  • Current status: 86 unique parts grouped into 26 editor parts. KSP memory footprint 15MB.
  • Good for career or science mode - CTT integration included

ctt_small.png

Requirements

This mod requires the latest versions of 3 plugins. Please check before downloading whether you haven't already installed them.

REQUIRED:

• Firespitter.dll plugin by snjo

https://github.com/snjo/Firespitter/tree/master/For release/Firespitter/Plugins

you need only plugin (firespitter.dll).

If original mod is not updated you can alternatively use one bundled by RoverDude's mods.

• JSIPartUtilities.dll by Mihara, maintained by artwhaley and LinuxGuruGamer

Current version download 1.3.0:

https://github.com/linuxgurugamer/PartUtilities/releases/tag/For-1.3

• Infernal Robotics by sirkut and ziw (for moving parts):

https://github.com/MagicSmokeIndustries/InfernalRobotics/releases/tag/2.0.11

SUGGESTED:

• KAS by KospY (for magnet parts)

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/92514-0-24-2-Kerbal-Attachment-System-%28KAS%29-0-4-8-Fixed-for-0-24-2-x86-x64-%29

I suggest keeping all required mods in their original folders / places to avoid duplicate copies of different versions.

Suggested mods:

Stork Delivery System - submod to complement functionality of Modular Frame System

Kerbal Foundries by lo-fi / ShadowMage - tracks and wheels for heavy cargo hauling

IR Model Rework by ZodiusInfuser - great set of wheels for heavy cargo hauling not to mention awesome IR parts

MKS/Karbonite/FTT by Roverdude - for mobile mining and cargo hauling

Extraplanetary Launchpads by Taniwha - same as above plus you can build new vehicles and spacecrafts on the site!

License

CC 4.0 BY-NC-SA

Known issues:

- Parts that use infernal robotics are currently broken.

Version 0.3.3

DOWNLOAD

If you like my mod, consider sponsoring me a Belgian beer (or buy a Belgian chocolate for my wife:))

btn_donate_SM.gif

Spoiler

- changed version to KSP 1.3.0

- added module manager config for cargo containers when CRP is installed. FVC21 and FVXC21 containers can now hold updated MKS/Karbonite resources

• revised attachment nodes
  • added more Hi-Lo adapter parts
  • removed FH21/42 top mount version since there are no attachment limits now
  • all parts with infernal robotics functionality have now new sounds
  • added FVE rail motor - moving hinge for FVE HUB (compatible with FVE HB too)
  • FVE HUB and FVE HUBh (hollow) are now two separate parts with different stats
  • FVE HUB is now extendable (right-click) to allow moving hinge for side unloading/loading
  • balanced FVC containers against stock (less capacity, more weight, they can carry ore/LFO/Monoprop)
  • FH parts now have additional switchable utility nodes (intergation with future utility racks mod)
  • removed module manager dependency

*** before install delete MFS folder (if you have much older versions of either MFS or SDS delete all KermangeddonIndustries folder).

*** new requirement: KAS mod (for magnet parts to work)

- added left and right entrances to KI-2 and KI-3 cabins. In total there are 3 entrances and 1 exit with ladder now.

- tweaked colliders for KI-1 command cabin (it can also store experiments now)

- changed masses for FH parts (parts are now heavier but can hold more EC; their mass now varies with version)

- upped slightly masses for FV parts

- slight cost and tech tweaks

- renaming most of the FV parts to be more consistent and to work better with 'quick search' mod

- all parts except cabins and docking ports are in 'construction' tab and they are grouped together

- added new parts: FV Wheel 12 and 25 - big rotating wheels connecting undercarriage and rotating base (for excavators cranes etc), FVM HB - horizontal beam with magnet (3 versions), FV HUB (2 versions) to connect up to 4 FVE elements, FVXC Container 21 - wide container version

- slightl change of part descriptions

- changed base color to green (you can still swap it using alternate colors pack)

*** Needs a clean install, delete all KermangeddonIndustries folder before it.

*** New requirement: needs module manager

- techtree redone, now compatible with CTT

- Added multiple switchable attachment nodes for most horizontal and vertical frames

- added frame horizontal ramp and ramp hollow parts

- added multiple parts utilizing IR (Infernal Robotics)

- deprecated docking frame narrow; now there's one docking frame (DFS) with different widths

- added 2 cabins (for 1 Kerbal and 3 Kerbals)

- added a command seat with a rollcage

- added a test cargo container with fuel or other resources if you have CRP installed. It holds then similar resourcs to FTT Kontainers however it is balanced towards more realistic container weight/cargo weight ratios and capacities compared to stock tanks)

- bonus: added color schemes pack for cabins and cargo containers so you can swap them as you like (green,gray,red,duna,yellow)

- added frames: FHfh42/21 (flat hollow)

- added FHX42,FHXw42,FHXf42 frames (extrawide)

- added FVW18 and FVN18 variant to FV18 frame (right-click to toggle between versions)

- added extendable FV-IR18 frame (needs Infernal Robotics to work)

- added moving 'gantry' FH-IR motors (attach to FH top attachment node; needs Infernal Robotics to work)

- added FHNa version

- fixed missing mesh in FHh21t and FHWwh21

- added FH42,FHN42 and FHW42 variants

initial relase

Installation instructions

• Unzip KermangeddonIndustries catalog into the GameData folder
  • Don't forget about checking whether you have Firespitter.dll, JSIPartUtilities.dll and Infernal Robotics installed (newest parts use KAS mod as well)

FAQ

• Where are the other versions of the horizontal frame?

Right-click on the part while in VAB/SPH and switch it.

• Why there are no top/ bottom nodes?

Right-click on the part while in VAB/SPH and show/hide it.

• Where can I find MFS parts?

All parts except cabins (pods) and docking ports (utility) are in construction tab. Moreover many parts have different versions. If in doubt, right-click on a part in editor to see whether it has any other versions.

Credits and Acknowledgments

Mihara , artwhaley , LinuxGuruGamer for JSIPartUtilities

snjo and RoverDude for firespitter

sirkut and ZodiusInfuser for Infernal Robotics

sarbian for Module Manager

KospY and Winn75 for KAS

Edited by riocrokite

If Im reading this correctly this is for making more realistic rovers instead of cylinder tanks with wheels? If you have some kind of trailer/box so I can mount my parts on the inside instead of slapping them on the outside I'm on board.

Yah, hollow-openable and closed cargo containers will come later on (see part II in development thread). For now you can use i.e. RoverDude's FTT kontainers mk1/mk2 for testing purposes.

This one was confusing at first, but after your reply to DigitalProeliator's post, it looks like a very useful idea! No round tank rovers! Because of the initial confusion, can you post some pictures of the parts pack in action?

I'll post some sample builds later on.

Well, original design was to provide frame system for mobile mining drills and stuff (for Karbonite/MKS+ELP). But I'm open to all suggestions since I'm still in the planning phase.

For now main uses would be IMHO:

- mobile crane with body made up from just 2 elements (hollow horizontal frame and vertical frame) to move heavy base elements around

- mobile base / heavy exploration vehicle with engines and center of mass/thrust 'inside' hollow frame in the middle - it could get decent dV since not-hollow frames include fuel tanks inside

- super-heavy truck for moving 1000+t resources to nearby colony when nearer resources exhaust (i.e. for Regolith). For short distances its more effective than using rockets since you need huge amount of fuel to move that kind of load (compared to wheels that don't need fuel).

- mobile-base - just put every module on the frame and attach wheels

After phase II completion it might be used for mobile processing vehicle (crusher/compacter) and super drill vehicle (extendable drill).

For now stock wheels are either to big or too squishy for most of those purposes thus I recommend using lo-fi's tracks (Kerbal Foundries).

Yah, hollow-openable and closed cargo containers will come later on (see part II in development thread). For now you can use i.e. RoverDude's FTT kontainers mk1/mk2 for testing purposes.

Nice. I always hated sticking sensitive stuff on the outside of a rover. First little bump and you break 2-3 experiments off... I'm already thinking of an idea of a scientific bay with experiments you can activate internally using a camera.:cool:

Congrats on the first release! Downloading now to play around with it.

Cheers:) I will be grateful for a feedback.

Nice. I always hated sticking sensitive stuff on the outside of a rover. First little bump and you break 2-3 experiments off... I'm already thinking of an idea of a scientific bay with experiments you can activate internally using a camera.:cool:

Yah. Please let me know if you have any ideas. My concept is to keep everything above frame as low-profile as possible so it fits nicely in fairing and center of mass is lower. Also texture reuse is crucial for me so I plan containers to be in the shape and reuse texture from horizontal frame. Of course you could just stack them horizontally if you wish.

They looks really heavy, not much the type of rover things...you know, most rover looks shinny and fragile

Yah, I planned it to be used for 'heavier' tasks since there are already many small rover frames and designs. So thinking about the name, maybe truck-o-rover? On the other side the frame can't be too heavy itself because players won't see incentive to use it instead of just slapping wheels to tanks.

Were do them c-land type containers come from?

If I understand you correctly they are from RoverDude's Freighter Transport Technologies mod (see first post - suggested mods for a link)

Edited by riocrokite

Okay, these things are awesome! Been messing around with them as baseplates for heavy science rovers, and now I'm inspired to set up a lot more stuff in my KSP saves. Grabbed some Karbonite, and I'm really considering a few other mods to force myself to make mobile mining rigs.

I love the dark-gray color scheme (goes well with the whole "industrial" theme) and only wish there was a proper driving cab for it. Kerbal Foundries tracks look awesome tucked up into the spaces beneath the plates, and stacking lots and lots of cool stuff on top is always good. They're heavy (or at least heavy enough), so I rarely flip rovers anymore, and it really does look rather cool cruising over the Mun with a tracked beast carrying a Karbonite drill, a KAS winch on a crane arm powered by Infernal Robotics, and enough Kerbals to strip-mine a planet.

I do beg your pardon, but is there a download available that is not a .rar file? They give me one hell of a time to open, can't we just have a zip?

Yah, I'll swap rar with zip since it's more popular

- - - Updated - - -

Okay, these things are awesome! Been messing around with them as baseplates for heavy science rovers, and now I'm inspired to set up a lot more stuff in my KSP saves. Grabbed some Karbonite, and I'm really considering a few other mods to force myself to make mobile mining rigs.

I love the dark-gray color scheme (goes well with the whole "industrial" theme) and only wish there was a proper driving cab for it. Kerbal Foundries tracks look awesome tucked up into the spaces beneath the plates, and stacking lots and lots of cool stuff on top is always good. They're heavy (or at least heavy enough), so I rarely flip rovers anymore, and it really does look rather cool cruising over the Mun with a tracked beast carrying a Karbonite drill, a KAS winch on a crane arm powered by Infernal Robotics, and enough Kerbals to strip-mine a planet.

Cheers, there are still a few problems with textures but gray color covers some of them;). They will be finished (+I'll add normal maps) when modelling is done. I'm thinking of a driving cab but it's still in planning phase since I have to finish other elements first (see pic below):

turningradius.jpg

ETF978.jpg

Edited by riocrokite

Maybe mug the LLL for the yellow truck cabins as a temporary solution. Scale it up to 200% and it fits perfectly for the FH sections. Speaking of tweak-scale is it also coming to this? It could be a bit useful. Also not sure if this is a glitch but if you take a FH21 and FHWwh21 turn the extra nodes on they will snap vertically but not connect, staying transparent as if there is a clipping issue. Is this on purpose? I was trying to make a pickup truck style bay out of the two.

Edited by DigitalProeliator

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.