...my first question: concerns add-ons and folders

lendo

Greetings..... I'm a newbienaut. Just getting started. I was investigating add-ons, downloaded "Chatterer" and followed instructions to put folder in KSP "GameData" folder. Strangely, I can't FIND a KSP "GameData" folder on my HD. Matter of fact, all I find when searching "KSP" or "Kerbal" is a 1K program link located in Steam folder under Programs. What am I missing here? Are there folders online somewhere through the Steam account? I just don't get it.... HELP!!! :)

Greetings and welcome to the forums! You'll find we're generally a helpful bunch, and to prove this, allow me to direct you to the folder you are looking for.

Since you're running steam, you need to go to the game folder in the steam folder, found in your "program files" folder. The program files folder is found in the C drive. Depending on what windows (I'm assuming you're running windows) you are using, it might be called program files x86 as well.

So, the path you want to take is: C > program files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common > kerbal space program > gamedata

There you just drop the chatterer folder and presto: mod installed.

the pathway I gave you is from memory (I'm at work now, not on my gaming pc) so there may be one or two steps I forgot, but it should be pretty close. In an case, steam>steamapps>common is where you want to be looking. Hope I was clear enough, if not, just ask.

may your exhaust always be hot, your TWR above 1 and your Isp high!

Cirocco

So, the path you want to take is: C > program files (x86) > steam > steamapps > common > kerbal space program > gamedata

the pathway I gave you is from memory (I'm at work now, not on my gaming pc) so there may be one or two steps I forgot, but it should be pretty close. In an case, steam>steamapps>common is where you want to be looking. Hope I was clear enough, if not, just ask.

...Dang, that's good memory, I can confirm that this is the right directory.

The reason search didn't work is, I believe, because program files isn't "Indexed", because normal use of PC's (e.g not installing game mods) generally never needs to use that folder.

tl;dr search didn't work because microsoft devs didn't count on people gaming on them

The pathway is correct for a Steam install. With few exceptions, all mods are designed to be installed by dropping their folder into the GameData folder.

Just to be on the safe side, it is recommended that you copy the Kerbal Space Program folder from the Steam install to another location and do your mod experiments from there. Steam is not required to run KSP.

...Dang, that's good memory, I can confirm that this is the right directory.

hehe, thank you. I have quite a few steam games and I mod several of them, so that pathway sees a loooooot of use.

Just to be on the safe side, it is recommended that you copy the Kerbal Space Program folder from the Steam install to another location and do your mod experiments from there. Steam is not required to run KSP.

THIS. very much this! When modding games, always copy/paste a clean version of the map you are changing to some other location on your computer. Thank you Ron for mentioning it :)