STS-7/E Space Shuttle (Stock NASA Replica) Still Flies in KSP 1.4.3 - Re-enters Like the Real Thing!

inigma

STS-7 Space Shuttle

STS-7E (With Solid Boosters) Space Shuttle

BFfKPY0.png

STS-7 (With Liquid Boosters) Space Shuttle

05z7Gel.png

Epic STS-4 Showcase Film:

Introduction

With the plethora of space shuttles on Spacecraft Exchange, you might ask, "why another?"

Inspired by Westi29's, Rune's, and Naito's shuttles, this shuttle is the best of all worlds. NASA realistic with monoprop OMS, as easy to fly as Westi's, large as Rune's, and capable of full orange and yellow tanks to orbit plus hardware well above 120km like Naito's, it also can return abort and land with a full orange and yellow tank in the bay! And if that was not all... you can turn around and fly an empty bay back up only by removing fuel from the lower external tanks and liquid boosters. Easy to load and fly. So easy to fly this craft should be stock! (Hey Devs, how 'bout it? This shuttle is free for anyone to use! No credit needed!)

Convergence of shuttle technology was inevitable. I think I reinvented the wheel several times. 282 part count when empty, and easy to load and fly, this is my non-shuttlecraft magnum opus. I hope to maintain this as well as Mulbin has with his Munbug, each version being a new STS number. Anything you can fit into a large Mk.3 cargo bay, this thing will lift into orbit without a fuss, and no tweaks except fuel.

I wanted to design one of the most beautiful space shuttles ever seen in KSP, while keeping part counts low, and handling and cargo capability practical to the real thing. This design is my first space shuttle, and it has exceeded my wildest dreams.

Special thanks to Claw and Starwhip for rescuing the orbiter from a persistence file when I inadvertently lost all my craft files. You can check out Claw's amazing InflightShipSave mod and save any in-flight vessel as a new craft file. Pretty neat. This shuttle would not have continued development if not for this mod.

If you fly it, take a pic and share it here! Let me see what cargo you're loading up into orbit. Also, if you want to use this shuttle in a youtube video or series, feel free! I made it for you! If you make a video, post it in this thread so I can add it to this OP so everyone can see it! :)

[table]

[tr]

[td]fagZP7S.jpg[/td][td]Gm9RLVR.jpg[/td][td]kNqUcoq.jpg[/td][td]yCCnUU7.jpg[/td]

[/tr]

[/table]

Can you fly the STS Space Shuttle? Then Check out our Challenge thread and EARN STS Forum Badges!

UPDATE Nov 9, 2015: Certified for flights up to 300km orbit carrying 42 tons in KSP 1.0.5. Re-entry is more harrowing - you have to retro burn 1/2 orbit away, and when you start to see plasma, pitch up to 33 degrees - just like the real thing - all the way through the plasma until you see mach effects. Hit up your key of 6 for the split rudder air brake and glide to a solid finish. Whatever they did in KSP 1.0.5 fixed EVERYTHING I didn't like before. This machine is a dream to fly. No rebuild was necessary, though I look forward to a rebuild in 1.1 if they are saying it's coming as soon as they say.

Enjoy!

Craft & Subassembly Files

All crafts and subassemblies are stock KSP unless otherwise noted.

STS-7E Space Shuttle Ranger (UPDATED 6/14/15) - SRB Varient

Dry Part Count: 297 (comes with included STS Elevator and STS Fuel Pod, total part count is 407)

Cargo Capacity: 0-42 Tons

Maximum Cargo Rated Orbit: 42 Ton - 400km

Notes: MechJeb Friendly! FAR Compatible!

Career Cost: ?

Javascript is disabled. View full album

Craft File KerbalX: STS-7E Space Shuttle

Craft File Mediafire: STS-7E Space Shuttle

STS-7 Space Shuttle Yorktown (UPDATED 6/14/15)

Dry Part Count: 243 all stock parts!

Cargo Capacity: 0-42 Tons

Maximum Cargo Rated Orbit: 42 Ton - 400km

Notes: MechJeb Friendly! FAR Compatible!

Career Cost: ?

Craft File KerbalX: STS-7 Space Shuttle

Craft File Mediafire: STS-7 Space Shuttle

STS Spinoff Vessels (Official and User Submitted)

STS Astrovan KerbalX
Angel-125 - Kestrel Shuttle Trainer Aircraft Download
Columbia - Shuttle Carrier Aircraft MediaFire
MattJL - Ares I Launcher (Cargo Rating: 10 Tons to LKO) Dropbox
MattJL - Ares V Launcher (Cargo Rating: 12 Tons to Duna) Dropbox
MattJL - Unmanned Shuttle Derived Heavy Lift Vehicle (Sidemounted Cargo Carrier) (Cargo Rating: 11 Tons to LKO) Dropbox
MattJL - Ares Vc Launcher (42 tons?) Dropbox
Scathalh - Space Shuttle 3 Filedropper
Third_OfFive - Space Shuttle Enterprise (STS-4 Modified with Mk.3 Wings and Landing Gear for KSP 1.0.4) KerbalX

Subassemblies

Official STS Subassemblies (Stock)

• STS Elevator KerbalX
    A stock elevator with rover car for ferrying up Kerbalnauts from ground level to the STS orbiter.
  • STS ComSats (STS-5) (8 Tons) KerbalX | Mediafire
    Launch a pair of spinning communication satellites to geosynchronous orbit modeled after the NASA STS-5 mission.
  • STS Fuel Pod (42 Tons) KerbalX | Mediafire
    The heaviest rated STS cargo, and the standard Heavy Plus cargo of the Space Shuttle Orange Tank to Orbit challenge. A self contained orbital fuel depot. Orange Fuel Tank and Yellow RCS Tank, docking, and maneuvering hardware. Fill all STS tanks and launch it!
  • STS Operations Module (5 Tons) KerbalX | Mediafire
    A standard orbital operations subassembly. Contains an ISS style docking port with Mk2 crew cabin, and two modified Hercules Mk8 MMUs.
  • STS SpaceHab (STS-107) (11.2 Tons) KerbalX | Mediafire
    For science! Last flew on STS-107 Space Shuttle Columbia. A science gathering and processing subassembly that fits neatly in your bay.

Official STS Subassemblies (Mods Required)

• STS ComSats (RemoteTech) (12 Tons) KerbalX | Mediafire
    Three Remote Tech enabled communications satellites for a starter constellation. Requires 6 STS Space Shuttle crew members, and either the STS Operations Module or STS Service Module. Both modules contain a necessary dish antenna to point at your satellites to maintain control of them to their final Kerbin geosynchronous orbits.
  • STS Service Module (11 Tons) (Requires: Infernal Robotics, Kerbal Attachment System, and Kerbal Inventory System) KerbalX | Mediafire
    An STS Operations Module extended to add a modded robotic arm Canadarm style, Kerbal Attachment System winches and attachments, and Kerbal Inventory System containers with default equipment in case you forget to bring spare parts. For all your orbital satellite and station servicing needs.

User Submitted Subassemblies (Stock unless otherwise specified)

Controls

1 - SSMEs

2 - OMS

3 - Cargo Bay

4 - Cargo Bay Forward Lights

5 - Cargo Bay Rear Lights

6 - Tail Air Brake Toggle

7 - Ladder

G - Tail Air Brake Extend, Landing Gear

Backspace/Abort - Disconnects Shuttle from External Tank

Flight Profiles

Your mileage may vary depending on ascent profile and payload. I offer these two profiles, since they represent the minimum and maximum payload ratings for the Space Transportation System. For medium payloads, you will most likely only need to fill the central External Tank, and leave the bottom empty.

0 Ton Cargo Ascent (Default Craft) (UPDATED for KSP 1.0.2)

Fuel Load: Empty center and bottom external tanks, and empty bottom booster tank (if liquid booster).

A. Turn on SAS.

B. Solid booster variant requires a starting reduced throttle throttle of 1/3rd as throttle is used to control pitch during launch. Liquid booster variant requires start at full throttle.

0. Spacebar to drop STS Elevator if attached. Again to launch.

1. Roll straight up to 15k, tail facing ocean. Solid booster pilots throttle up after roll.

2. Liquid booster variant pitch to 45 degrees by 25km. Solid booster variant pitches by itself to 45 by about 20km so don't touch your controls much after roll else you will cancel out SAS and could dip.

3. Separate boosters when empty and cycle to them to deploy their parachutes and then cycle back to the orbiter.

4. Pitch to 0 degrees by 50km.

5. Drop tank when empty or desired apoapsis.

6. Monopropellant OMS to orbit and deorbit.

42 Ton Cargo Ascent: (Carrying the STS Fuel Pod subassembly) (UPDATED for KSP 1.0.2)

Fuel Load: Fill all tanks

A. Turn on SAS.

B. Solid booster variant requires starting game throttle of 2/3rds. Liquid variant requires starting at full throttle.

1. Somewhat immediately after liftoff (or after you stop gawking at the sheer power of the scene) but before 3km begin your roll program, tail facing ocean.

2. Liquid booster variant requires you to pitch to 45 degrees by 20-25km, before they run out of fuel. Solid booster variant requires you to go full throttle up just after or even during your roll program, but after this, no major control on your part is needed as long as you have SAS enabled and leave your controls alone for the most part. The solid boosters will naturally curve your trajectory to 45 degrees by about 18km, at which point you can ditch them in a beautiful separation ballet.

3. Cycle to falling boosters and deploy chutes separately then cycle back to shuttle (should maintain heading fine).

4. Pitch to 30 degrees by 40km.

5. Pitch to 10 degrees by 50km and roll belly down then pitch up immediately to 15 degrees.

6. Unlike an empty cargo flight, you will actually raise your periapsis to orbital target altitude while keeping your starting apoapsis marker in the atmosphere (65km or less). Control your pitch to accomplish this by focusing on building speed after reaching 50km, not height.

6. Drop tank when empty or desired apoapsis.

7. Monopropellant OMS to orbit and deorbit.

Craft should easily make 400+km orbit with fully loaded STS Fuel Pod in the bay this way.

Descent and Landing

This Guide is by Frannington:

1) If you're using automation, ignore "Spaceplane Guidance". Instead, use "Landing Guidance" and select the KSC pad. Cancel it once the crosses meet.

2) Come in hot and high. Nothing is as useless as the altitude you don't have. ::Edit:: She's aerodynamic. So if you let the crosses meet, she will overshoot. That's what gives you the wiggle-room when you reach KSC.

3) Use S-turns to get yourself down where you need to be (in other words, do it like NASA did. It's a credit to inigma that this thing behaves so well, though I can't speak to its accuracy having never flown a real Shuttle...)

4) She will want to dive and has an alarming descent rate, so use SAS/thrusters to hold the nose up to bleed off the speed and keep her actually flying.

5) Land her like an airliner, with procedural turns. It's actually easiest to fly past KSC a couple KM to the left of it, then do a base and "upwind" turn.

6) If you get it wrong, the OMS engines have just enough grunt (and fuel) to extend your glide. Use them.

7) Don't hold the nose too high on landing. If you're carrying too much speed, go off the end of the runway. Descent rate is (in this simulation) more important. Those are tiny wheels and won't take anything above 10m/s when they hit the deck.

Videos:

If you make a video using this craft, post it in this thread so I can list it here, and others can watch what can be done with the STS. No credit needed. Just share your vid here!

Latest Video (by totalitor):

STS-1 Launch of STS Fuel Pod Payload (42 Ton Payload)

STS-2 RTLS Abort with STS Fuel Pod Payload (42 Ton Payload)

STS-3 Space Shuttle Columbia Memorial Flight

Angel-125's Shuttle Missions!

Episode 1 -

Episode 2 -

Episode 3 -

ExplorerKlatt's Orbital Challenge

Episode 1 (STS-3):

Episode 2 (STS-4):

Nansuchao's FAR and DRE Run

Fanwork by Columbia:

7CPXPNE.jpg

CUCwhKQ.jpg

This was designed and built in memory of the real STS-1 Space Shuttle Columbia, and its last flight STS-107 Feb 1, 2003.

zVa6xky.png

Render by esinohio

sts107-s-001.jpg

Rick D. Husband

William C. McCool

Michael P. Anderson

Kalpana Chawla

David M. Brown

Laurel Clark

Ilan Ramon

They flew to the stars, and came home to rest in the clouds. May they rest in peace.

Edited by inigma
added tags

VEHICLE ASSEMBLY BUILDING

Future work for release:

STS Space Station Core

STS 51-L Memorial Payload - Naito contributed the basic idea, might adopt his or tweak it myself.

STS-7/E Video Showcase - waiting for finalized STS 51-L subassembly development.

Shuttle Carrier Aircraft - Sampa is working on this for 1.0.x.

CHANGE LOG

STS Astrovan II - Updated to KSP 1.0 parts.

STS Service Module v.6 - Added default spares and equipment to KIS Containers since most people forget to fill them up with useful stuff before launching.

STS-6/E Space Shuttle: Aero update/fix. Airbrakes bound to key 6 as well as to landing gear. Lands beautifully now in 1.0.2 aero.

STS ComSats (RemoteTech) - All new subassembly with three RemoteTech ComSats for starter communications constellations.

STS Operations Module v.3 - Reoriented Mk2. Crew Cabin for right side up cargo bay views from window. Added stock satellite dish to mimic the Ku band antenna found in most NASA orbiter bay configurations.

STS Service Module v.4 - Reoriented Mk2. Crew Cabin for right side up cargo bay views from window.

STS Service Module v.3 - 1.0.2 compatibility rebuild with new versions of IR, Tweakscale, an KAS/KIS parts (primarily winch rebuilds).

STS-5E Space Shuttle: SOLID BOOSTERS BABY! Same as STS-5, only difference is solid boosters. Performance is amazingly the same.

STS-5 Space Shuttle: KSP 1.0.x major rebuild, single wings, tail, parachutes, internals, and balance pass. External tank sepatron added.

STS-4 1.0.2 - replaced liquid booster engines with more compatible liquid engines.

STS Service Module v.3 - replaced KAS containers with KIS containers, added Tweakscaled KAS winches and magnets to MMUs.

STS ComSat Payload (STS-5) v.2 - All new ComSats now come with spinable Payload Assist Modules (which you can attach other satellites too if desired)

STS SpaceHab (STS-107) v.3 - aesthetics update.

STS Service Module v.2 - Reconstucted MMUs to eliminate cubic struts, and fixed tweakscaled KAS parts.

STS Operations Module v.2 - A non modded copy of the STS Service Module now for better cross development.

STS-4 Space Shuttle: Major aesthetics update to eliminate gaps, correct fuel line alignment, fix light brightness, eliminate wing jitter, and add an default antenna for science transmissions to the orbiter.

STS ComSats (STS-5): Original Release

STS Service Module: Original Release

STS Operations Module: Original Release

STS-3 Space Shuttle: Booster sep more accurate to NASA, decoupler realigned to prevent debris ejection, 0-42 tons rated to 300km orbit.

STS SpaceHab v.2: Adjusted location of crew cabin to allow for easier crew transfer to science module.

STS Fuel Pod: renamed from STS Fuel Depot

STS SpaceHab (STS-107): Original Release

STS Fuel Depot: Original Release

STS-2 Space Shuttle: External Tank fuel line reconnection to allow for STS subassemblies not breaking fuel flow when attached to rear of cargo bay.

STS-1 Space Shuttle: Original Release, 0-42 tons rated to 200km orbit.

Notables for future video cameos:

RedshiftOTF - awesome repper and fan

ilo - posted screenshot of STS-4

Edited by inigma

Part count updated. 270s with empty bay. When I post craft I'll post empty count. Might even go down before release. Aero KSP update will most likely drop count by 37 parts or more since this uses composite wings like Westi's shuttle. A practical use crewed launcher that is fun to make orbit with.

Edited by inigma

Very pretty! hehe there's something extoremely satisfying about building a working shuttle replica ain't there? =)

Hail Columbia!

In all honesty I started out redoing your wings, only to design a new set from scratch, which looked so beautiful that it demanded its own shuttle and launch system. It was demanding but fun. I learned a lot about how fuel tanks empty and all the different ways you can crash or explode. :)

To keep the realistic as possible form factor and still maintain control I installed 20 SAS units in the main tank, and blinged the tank fuel line. I wanted to get this out by Feb 1. Ill work on reducing part count in future versions.

If anything, I wanted to design one of the most beautiful space shuttles ever seen in KSP while keeping it flyable and practical. The final result exceeded my wildest dreams.

Edited by inigma

Well done! I miss the Solid Rocket Boosters, but still, it looks very pretty and I'm sure it glides much better than mine. :P

Rune. I don't design that many noob-friendly ships these days!

I have solids for it.

I spent 6 days developing solid boosters for this thing. They can do the job except lift a full orange and yellow into orbit. Im working on that too for a later release. :) just wanted to get this craft out now in the meantime.

Good job, inigma! I like its wings and RCS-blocks. Partcount is also impressive :)

I have solids for it.

I spent 6 days developing solid boosters for this thing. They can do the job except lift a full orange and yellow into orbit. Im working on that too for a later release. :) just wanted to get this craft out now in the meantime.

Oh, it would be great to see pics of your shuttle with solids!

Good job, inigma! I like its wings and RCS-blocks. Partcount is also impressive :)

Oh, it would be great to see pics of your shuttle with solids!

Your wish is my command. I borrowed Westi's solids and fixed them up to launch heavier and uh...longer. shhsh. Trade secret.

gPkfRkwh.jpg

KSP really needs a solid fuel tank to extend boosters.

Unfortunately though my decision to ditch my beautiful boosters for STS-1 is due to the fact that solids have a hard time lifting the external tank fuel needed to get to the right altitude and speed at separation (15km) that pushes tank and orbiter with a full orange and yellow tank cargo to orbit using three skippers alone. Simply put, I didn't favor a ring of boosters since it doesn't look like the real thing quite yet. I'm working on it though. Perhaps for STS-2 if I can make solids work for ALL payloads - as that is the goal with this shuttle design. I need a booster that can launch this thing both empty bay, and full space fuel delivery tank load to keep it consistent and noob easy.

I also ditched liquid OMS due to a limitation in Stock to not allow fuel flow to be specified by hotkey. It would be preferable to use the 909s for OMS since this would make launching the heavy fuel payload possible with solids most likely, however its not possible in stock KSP yet. Perhaps in a future STS version. Keep watching this thread. :)

Edited by inigma

Yukon: You may publish this shuttle in your catalog. No problem!

Kerdinand: Thank you! I think so too. Let's hope she flies for you as beautiful she looks.

Everyone:

As promised, STS-1 Space Shuttle is now published. Craft file in OP. Updated flight profile and part count. Video recorded. Video editing commencing. This thing makes 200k easily with a full orange and yellow. 276 parts empty bay. Enjoy! Let me know what you fly up! Post your STS Space Shuttle pics or vids here!

Edited by inigma

This is probably the hardest shuttle to fly. Its cargo potential is massive, but it keeps pitching down even if I tune the fuel as well as I can. Edit: Tuned the fuel even weller somehow. Working perfectly and sorry for wasting your time.

Edit two: Somehow made it to suborbital with my LRBs still on. Then I timewarped because I was falling and exploded.

Edit ....: Not enough fuel to make it into orbit with just the OMS. Source: I slammed into the EFT and everyone died probably.

Edit Four/Final: Made it into orbit. Test payload deployed, now to dock it to the ship. Has no RCS or power. DAMN IT.

Edit True Final: Test payload docked. Now for shuttle Ranger to enter orbit and dock. This is for a kerbal-saving test. Two other shuttles- Enterprise and Kuznetsov- are under construction.

Edited by Tangle

This is probably the hardest shuttle to fly. Its cargo potential is massive, but it keeps pitching down even if I tune the fuel as well as I can. Edit: Tuned the fuel even weller somehow. Working perfectly and sorry for wasting your time.

Edit two: Somehow made it to suborbital with my LRBs still on. Then I timewarped because I was falling and exploded.

Edit ....: Not enough fuel to make it into orbit with just the OMS. Source: I slammed into the EFT and everyone died probably.

Tune fuel by removing it from the bottom up depending on payload. Empty bottom booster tank equally with bottom external tank. You only ever need to empty the bottom booster tank. After that, keep the boosters as-is and continue removing fuel from the external tanks from the bottom up until you find the balance point. Usually takes about 2-3 tries.

Also this shuttle in heavy mode is best flown with the idea that you stay at 60k and it remains there while you raise peri on opposite side of globe to target alt. You really have to use your SSMEs to gain speed in order to get peri to orbit rather than lift your ap to orbit. Did you see the video? Its a bit counter intuitive, but mechjeb taught me how. ;) Do my flight instructions in my OP make sense?

------

Edit:

Hey take some pics. I'd love to see! :D Let me know if you like it/hate it, etc. If you see it needs an improvement, let me know too. I'm already planning for an update to this thread with a new version, STS-2, when 1.0 rolls out with new wing parts.

Oh and timewarp+shuttle+launch hardware+atmosphere = you will not go to space. Timewarp with shuttle only, however, works just fine, even in atmosphere.

Edited by inigma

Man I love this thing. My first real cargo mission. On a DMP private server. This is a station core plus attached workbee in the cargo bay. 15 tons. Dump 90% from bottom booster tanks, and dump bottom external tank. easy 120km target orbit.

I've even impressed myself (and that's saying a lot for one who has OCD).

fKnI0zN.png

Btw, the mk2 crew quaters plus docking port is what I would have released standard as the STS-1, but I figured people would appreciate an empty bay or simple fuel depot cargo to rip out instead.

This is cool, but you should know that "dearth" (which I presume is what you meant to type) actually means a scarcity - perhaps the word you really wanted was "plethora". ;)

hehe. nice catch. updated.

Edit:

Hey if any of you guys create any accurate STS payload recreations, let me know too. Share a bay subassembly that can fit in a completely empty bay and I'll include it in the OP.

- - - Updated - - -

RTLS Abort vid posted to OP.

Edited by inigma

I made my own forebit for the shuttle. It has a sr docking port on the back of it so that stable payloads are still possible, and has its own shielded port stalk (and yes, it does have its own mk2 crew can). I even managed to get the Intrepid and Ranger docked!

intrepid_and_ranger_pic_04_by_hgfggg-d8ffjfe.png

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.