[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

EDIT: Uhoh, I can click the buttons in the workshop menu, but no parts are showing.

I'm having the same problem in career. I also have a stupid user question.. I made an SC-62 container, which I don't have enough room for (since I only have other SC-62 containers on board). Uh... how do I cancel it?

I can cancel other things that are queued, but unless I can cancel the current production, I basically can't make anything else ever again on that station.

Pic below shows both problems.

sqpM8wR.png

The workshop is also out of power, but the inability to cancel because you don't have space for it to go somewhere finally reared it's head I guess. It was bound to at some point.

As for the container, since those are carryable, it should get sent to one of your kerbals inventories, assuming that they have available space.

Edit: I notice that it's showing 100.2%, which looks like that problem I ran into WAY back here.

Edit2: Deja Vu maybe?

Edited by smjjames

Coolness, I'll check it out, hopefully it's gone too.

(also, I ended up not actually deleting workshop and just left it aside and not use the workshop until an update came out. I did destroy the craft that was at Minmus though.)

Edit: Is it required that engineers are needed to crew it for it to work or can any profession work? Also, do the kerbals stats affect anything?

EDIT: Uhoh, I can click the buttons in the workshop menu, but no parts are showing. Maybe I'll make a new craft or something.

Edit3: Nope, new craft didn't help. I removed the old folder and placed in the new one, so it should all be there. Going to test in a cleaner branchoff KSP. Here's the output log from my main save for the moment.

Output log: http://sta.sh/01xxf7uk6v4y

Edit: Nope, not working in the branchoff save either, I wonder what's wrong with it (besides the obvious)? I grabbed the one off of github. Also, this was in science mode on my main save and in sandbox mode on the branchoff. Haven't tried career.

The ouput log states that there was an error when the workshops tried to figure out the maximum volume of printable parts, but i can't see why. As far as I know the only reason this could happen is if you do not have any inventories on your vessel

- - - Updated - - -

I'm having the same problem in career. I also have a stupid user question.. I made an SC-62 container, which I don't have enough room for (since I only have other SC-62 containers on board). Uh... how do I cancel it?

I can cancel other things that are queued, but unless I can cancel the current production, I basically can't make anything else ever again on that station.

Pic below shows both problems.

http://i.imgur.com/sqpM8wR.png

The item list will be empty if the maximum available space cannot be determined when loading the vessel. I am currently investigating why this is happening.

Your other problem might be caused if you add or remove inventories from your vessel while production is in progress, or if you already printed lots of parts. The available parts list shows all parts that have a volume less than the largest inventories maximum volume. It will not check if this space is actually available. In the conext menu you can see the first part of the "not enough free space" status message. Look at your largest inventory and remove all parts from it to make room for the container in production.

Edited by ObiVanDamme

The ouput log states that there was an error when the workshops tried to figure out the maximum volume of printable parts, but i can't see why. As far as I know the only reason this could happen is if you do not have any inventories on your vessel

- - - Updated - - -

The item list will be empty if the maximum available space cannot be determined when loading the vessel. I am currently investigating why this is happening.

My setup in the branchoff save is this:

screenshot21_zpseku3kh0g.png

screenshot22_zpsxzeqxcwg.png

Aside from the big KIS container and the OSE parts, it's all stock. All inventories on the craft are empty. Although I wonder what happens if..... Edit: Nope, putting something into each inventory has no effect.

Edited by smjjames

My setup in the branchoff save is this:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot21_zpseku3kh0g.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v214/smjjames/screenshot22_zpsxzeqxcwg.png

Aside from the big KIS container and the OSE parts, it's all stock. All inventories on the craft are empty. Although I wonder what happens if..... Edit: Nope, putting something into each inventory has no effect.

that all looks ok. Please wait for the next release. I will rework the code to make it more obvious what is not working. can you please send me the ksp log from the root folder. It might give more hints on what's wrong

that all looks ok. Please wait for the next release. I will rework the code to make it more obvious what is not working. can you please send me the ksp log from the root folder. It might give more hints on what's wrong

Heres the KSP log and output log from a load of the craft and a bit of EVA on the branchoff KSP: http://sta.sh/02g7ypu20kqp

You forgot to change the thread title for the versioning. Anyways, it works in the branchoff KSP, going to check my main game to see if the freeze still happens.

I thought you said you were going to try and change from the scrolling method to paging?

You forgot to change the thread title for the versioning. Anyways, it works in the branchoff KSP, going to check my main game to see if the freeze still happens.

I thought you said you were going to try and change from the scrolling method to paging?

I will in the next major release. I just wanted to get the bugfixes out as soon as possible so you can continue to play with the mod. Reworking the UI takes lots of time because there is no editor or anything, but you have to code everything by hand. When no more emergency fixes are needed I will work on the changed UI topic for the next major update.

No freezeup so far. I did find another bug though, but one that is easily workaroundable. When you go into highest warp, the production freezes, sometimes it'll go through a couple and then freeze, it resumes when you back down. It works fine in the second highest warp.

I'll grab the KSP log and output log using the branchoff KSP for cleaner logs.

Edit: Not seeing it in the branchoff save, might have something to do with the fact that I have LOTS of parts.

Output log and KSP log from main game: http://sta.sh/026377z5ih7i

Edited by smjjames

No freezeup so far. I did find another bug though, but one that is easily workaroundable. When you go into highest warp, the production freezes, sometimes it'll go through a couple and then freeze, it resumes when you back down. It works fine in the second highest warp.

I'll grab the KSP log and output log using the branchoff KSP for cleaner logs.

Edit: Not seeing it in the branchoff save, might have something to do with the fact that I have LOTS of parts.

Output log and KSP log from main game: http://sta.sh/026377z5ih7i

Extreme high warp rates can cause problems when the workshop consumes resources, because the amount of resources consumed each "tick" will increase with the timewarp. It might happen, that a single tick tries to consume more ressources than there are available and stop production because of that. I already thought about a cap for maximum consumption each tick no matter how fast you are time warping but did not see a necassity up to now because you can finish parts in a few seconds on time warp around 100x. Might be an optimization for later releases.

Arg! It's still doing the freezing up. I noticed with this iteration and an earlier load of the workshop that theres a big lagspike for a moment when the workshop window is opened which does go away on it's own. Anyways, it froze up while I was scrolling to get to the wrench because I was getting a few produced for the kerbal engineers that don't have them. I had also started up ore drilling and the ore to materialkit converters, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Output log and KSP log: http://sta.sh/01ltgsxiqgp0

Your other problem might be caused if you add or remove inventories from your vessel while production is in progress

Oh I totally did that. :)

I accidentally fixed it by doing the same thing - I detached an SC-62 and then reattached it. The new SC-62 container went inside there, making it 1400/1000 full, lol.

Everything is back to normal for me after updating to 0.9.4, thanks!

Arg! It's still doing the freezing up. I noticed with this iteration and an earlier load of the workshop that theres a big lagspike for a moment when the workshop window is opened which does go away on it's own. Anyways, it froze up while I was scrolling to get to the wrench because I was getting a few produced for the kerbal engineers that don't have them. I had also started up ore drilling and the ore to materialkit converters, so I don't know if that had anything to do with it.

Output log and KSP log: http://sta.sh/01ltgsxiqgp0

I am very sorry, but there are no obvious errors in both logs. It seems like the GUI with all the Icons is just to much for your amount of items. I think you already are very close to the RAM limit and opening the GUI exceeds it. I really hope the switch over to paging will finally solve this problem.

I am very sorry, but there are no obvious errors in both logs. It seems like the GUI with all the Icons is just to much for your amount of items. I think you already are very close to the RAM limit and opening the GUI exceeds it. I really hope the switch over to paging will finally solve this problem.

I suspect that might be it.

It was actually okay at KSC with no other craft around, but when I did it at the minmus base, I started getting some problems. When I went back to the save, I waited a bit for the lag to settle down (which it does after a min or two) after opening the workshop before doing anything and that seemed to help somewhat.

Lol, I changed the size limit from 2,000 to 20,000 so that I could get to the MK5 scout powerpack because the two that I had in a storage exploded when I tried to drop them on the ground, and the game froze pretty quickly. Also saw large fluctuations in memory usage.

Thank you for your feedback. I will take a look at the queue problem. The parts in the list are selected by volume, not by mass. Maybe for some reason the front section is larger than the back section. You can see the volume of a part when you add it to an inventory in the VAB. I don't know why it freezes, but it may have to do with the very long list in your menu. I am already looking for a solution and may implement some kind of paging like in the VAB. This will prevent scrolling, which seems to be very slow as well and reduce the number of parts shown in the menu.

To follow up on this, I took a look at the packrat parts which I mentioned weren't showing up vs the one that was, and guess what, all three have exactly the same reported volume (100l) and dry mass(0.05t), so, selecting by volume doesn't actually explain it.

Edit: Dangit, froze when I tried to go back to KSC to check the name of a part that I wanted to produce, but didn't see in the workshop. Think it would be possible to add some sort of search by name or part of a name?

Edited by smjjames

*slight bump*

Any ETA on the change to paging instead of scrolling?

Maybe next week. I am very busy at the moment and using my rare spare time to actually play KSP on the weekends instead of just programming for it as usual.

I've just installed the mod from CKAN and had a heart attack when I saw the price for MaterialKits containers.

https://github.com/obivandamme/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/Parts/OSE_Containers/ose3000.cfg

https://github.com/obivandamme/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/Parts/OSE_Containers/ose6000.cfg

Is this intended? It's literally cheaper to store MaterialKits in science labs than in the biggest container. Did I install a wrong version?

I've just installed the mod from CKAN and had a heart attack when I saw the price for MaterialKits containers.

https://github.com/obivandamme/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/Parts/OSE_Containers/ose3000.cfg

https://github.com/obivandamme/Workshop/blob/master/GameData/Workshop/Parts/OSE_Containers/ose6000.cfg

Is this intended? It's literally cheaper to store MaterialKits in science labs than in the biggest container. Did I install a wrong version?

Sorry about that, I did not yet adjust the pricing for career mode and did not play in career mode with the mod ever. Might be some copy past thing with the original configs we used to create the ones for the container. The container should not be that expensive. Whats expensive is the MaterialKits, as they allow you to create very expensive parts like engines and command pods like taniwha mentions. I will review the part costs for the next release.

- - - Updated - - -

I just started working on the GUI rework and tha paging feature. Below you can find a sneak peak on what the workbench might look like in the next version. Hope you like it and feel free to comment on that. The sooner I git feedback the sooner you will get it. Also please let me know if you like to have regular updates on the WIP features or if you just want to be informed when something is ready.

pKiCNCD.png

I just started working on the GUI rework and tha paging feature. Below you can find a sneak peak on what the workbench might look like in the next version. Hope you like it and feel free to comment on that. The sooner I git feedback the sooner you will get it. Also please let me know if you like to have regular updates on the WIP features or if you just want to be informed when something is ready.

Nice UI, looks better for me. Maybe selected part name and limits of current workshop placed somewhere could improve it a bit.

WIP features showcases are always interesting to look at but it may take more time than expected so be careful with it.

Btw, what do you think about implementing part module that could apply overrides on cost and tank filling or even exclude part from list. Some parts are too powerful or too cheap or even both so it will be great to have precise control over part parameters for special cases. And tank filling override is sometimes necessary as well - for example, I have part called "portable repair kit" with limited supply of special resource. Main concern is that this resource should not be produced without producing repair kit. With workshop I could get only useless empty repair kit while said resource is just a kind of spare parts so it should be possible to produce it from material kits. I'd like to add module with override "make tank content from material kits" and "pay 50% more material kits for each unit of resource produced" to my part so it could be produced in working state and for balanced cost.

Nice UI, looks better for me. Maybe selected part name and limits of current workshop placed somewhere could improve it a bit.

WIP features showcases are always interesting to look at but it may take more time than expected so be careful with it.

Btw, what do you think about implementing part module that could apply overrides on cost and tank filling or even exclude part from list. Some parts are too powerful or too cheap or even both so it will be great to have precise control over part parameters for special cases. And tank filling override is sometimes necessary as well - for example, I have part called "portable repair kit" with limited supply of special resource. Main concern is that this resource should not be produced without producing repair kit. With workshop I could get only useless empty repair kit while said resource is just a kind of spare parts so it should be possible to produce it from material kits. I'd like to add module with override "make tank content from material kits" and "pay 50% more material kits for each unit of resource produced" to my part so it could be produced in working state and for balanced cost.

Having the option to remove parts from the production is a very nice idea. I had implemented a module that was required for a part to be craftable, but the other way around is much more flexible. I excluded the resource production on purpose because it was like cheating to print liquid fuel. Having the option to create a resource using a special module makes sense in some cases. I will take a look at that for a future release, but I think it will be after the 1.0 version. Thank you for the feedback.

EDIT: The parts name will be in the description box. Adding the max size is also a nice idea. I think I will place it in the Window title.

Edited by ObiVanDamme

I'm glad that you find my ideas useful.

By the way, I have another thing to say while you are working on UI - amount of mods that use their own tab for parts is increasing so more and more parts are marked as having no category. Finding such parts in full list is slow and boring process while you have no "search by name" functionality so I think it may be helpful to have separate tab in workshop UI for such parts, something like "Special" or "Mods" or whatever. Search will be better but it usually takes more time to implement and even more to implement it without lags so I understand why you are not doing it yet.

And is it possible some day to have separate part module or any other way to put any part to your part tab without really converting it into workshop? I'd like to put some production themed parts from other mods there as separate tab for two or three or even five parts looks like overkill to me.

Having the option to create a resource using a special module makes sense in some cases. I will take a look at that for a future release, but I think it will be after the 1.0 version.

Note that taniwha is adding something like that to EL, and has a "recipe" descriptor designed  perhaps you could reuse/share/something? I'd agree it's something that could wait, though, longevity of EL without that feature is proof enough of that ;-)

I'm glad that you find my ideas useful.

By the way, I have another thing to say while you are working on UI - amount of mods that use their own tab for parts is increasing so more and more parts are marked as having no category. Finding such parts in full list is slow and boring process while you have no "search by name" functionality so I think it may be helpful to have separate tab in workshop UI for such parts, something like "Special" or "Mods" or whatever. Search will be better but it usually takes more time to implement and even more to implement it without lags so I understand why you are not doing it yet.

And is it possible some day to have separate part module or any other way to put any part to your part tab without really converting it into workshop? I'd like to put some production themed parts from other mods there as separate tab for two or three or even five parts looks like overkill to me.

I already noticed the problem with uncategorized parts. Because of that I have the EVA filter to filter for EVA items, that have no category by default as well. I currently have no Idea how I can filter for "anything else" but with the new custom tabs feature it might be necessary. The only thing I can think of is to have an additional filter for a special "none" category which can be used by other mod authors to get rid of there items in the VAB categories but still make it available in the workshop.

The current custom category is actually a prototype where I justed wanted to see if the custom category feature works :blush: I will revisit that code and change it so that you can put other items there by using a custom category or something like that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.