[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

19 hours ago, Sudragon said:

At the risk of ridicule... the various parts for this mod, are there other mods that block them from the game? I poked around in the .cfg's and they're all 'catagory = none'. What am i missing?

There should be a custom category created for the OSE parts (the category = none is so they don't show up in any stock categories)

I can understand the relation to the other required mods, but how the FireSpitterCore mod is related to this? I am not really interested in propellers and that specific forum thread seems rather old. Is it really needed?

It would be a tad odd to have to install propellers to be able to use OSE, I do not see those mods being related at all. But I may miss something.

Edited by Frag2000

56 minutes ago, Frag2000 said:

I can understand the relation to the other required mods, but how the FireSpitterCore mod is related to this? I am not really interested in propellers and that specific forum thread seems rather old. Is it really needed?

It would be a tad odd to have to install propellers to be able to use OSE, I do not see those mods being related at all. But I may miss something.

The most common use of firespitter in other mods is it's tank switching functionality.  And you only need the DLL, not all of the parts.

13 hours ago, Frag2000 said:

Would you know which DLL it is? I did not downloaded the mod yet...

CKAN automatically extracts and installs only the Firespitter.dll file when you choose the "Firespitter Core" package.

• 5 weeks later...

Is there a way to link the workshop categories to the custom category areas that some mods generate? For example... MOLE has a custom tag for it's parts, but they also appear in their stock categories. The MKS constellation of mods has a collection of custom tags but doesn't also drop them in their stock categories, making them unavailable in workshops. Is it possible to generate a patch to match up the category lists? 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I really should make a post to appreciate how OSE workshop revolutionized my surface colonization adventures. Specially if you combine it with larger containers and some EVA elbow grease. 

Spoiler

tKYxbR4.png

This base was delivered solely as materialkits and the duna modules, all the inflatables were assembled in-situ. 

What I am experiencing on this method of gameplay is some imbalance on the more expensive and complex parts being too cheap. It seems that the extra cost as rare metals and exotic minerals is hardcoded so far. Maybe on some future version we could define their costs on OSE_recipies something along the line "If object has X module, add Y times basecost of Z resource"

Nervertheless wonderful work. This mod alone has given me many hours of enjoyment. 

Edited by Djohaal

• 2 weeks later...

So... when you say it searches all KIS inventories, and puts it in the first one it finds with enough space... what does that mean exactly? Is it just parts that explicitly include KIS containers? Does it search individual kerbals' personal inventories as well? Does it have a range at which it considers another vessel's inventory as fair game, like within 500m? I'm having a devil of a time finding a battery I made... I swear I've searched my entire colony... :(

Ah. I found it... yes it does include kerbals' personal inventories, which makes for about 20 inventories to search when it builds things... is there a way to make this easier? Maybe build in its own storage capacity and KIS inventory module? Or can it search based on proximity? Or based on decreasing size? My bases typically include one or two big containers, so then at least I'd know it's in one of those.

Edited by FirroSeranel

I am extremely late to the race on this; however this mod has been recommended a couple of times to me.  [currently using KAS/KIS and  USI MKS/LS ] That it would be helpful in my KSP career.  I just watch a YT on this mod and in it, it was demoing it and showing that is uses RocketParts, but I was talk that with MKS it will use Material Kits?

1 hour ago, gamerscircle said:

I am extremely late to the race on this; however this mod has been recommended a couple of times to me.  [currently using KAS/KIS and  USI MKS/LS ] That it would be helpful in my KSP career.  I just watch a YT on this mod and in it, it was demoing it and showing that is uses RocketParts, but I was talk that with MKS it will use Material Kits?

You could read through release notes etc to see that the mod changed from rocketparts to material kits pretty early in its development cycle. (took me about 30 seconds to find when they were introduced).

• 3 weeks later...
On 19.03.2017 at 3:08 PM, FirroSeranel said:

So... when you say it searches all KIS inventories, and puts it in the first one it finds with enough space... what does that mean exactly? Is it just parts that explicitly include KIS containers? Does it search individual kerbals' personal inventories as well? Does it have a range at which it considers another vessel's inventory as fair game, like within 500m? I'm having a devil of a time finding a battery I made... I swear I've searched my entire colony... :(

Ah. I found it... yes it does include kerbals' personal inventories, which makes for about 20 inventories to search when it builds things... is there a way to make this easier? Maybe build in its own storage capacity and KIS inventory module? Or can it search based on proximity? Or based on decreasing size? My bases typically include one or two big containers, so then at least I'd know it's in one of those.

Did you never encounter the "Favor Inventory" button during your acquaintance with KIS?

• 4 weeks later...

With this mod and already have an MKS base and in the process if setting up another one.  If I have the OSE workshop setup [keep in mind I do not] and had access to material kits, would I be able to make MKS Inflatable logistic modules?

8 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

With this mod and already have an MKS base and in the process if setting up another one.  If I have the OSE workshop setup [keep in mind I do not] and had access to material kits, would I be able to make MKS Inflatable logistic modules?

in general if it fits inside a KIS container you can make it

2 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

in general if it fits inside a KIS container you can make it

I put a workshop together, put a couple of level 2 engineers in the shop, had the stuff to make other stuff, opened up the workshop , I saw the categories. [one was empty] , but alas there was no inflatable, I know I can get a kerbal to carry one of these around.

I can see how this would be a great mod to help make small replacement parts combined with the Ground Construction Mod, if you can get a bare bones base up, one would be set.

12 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

I put a workshop together, put a couple of level 2 engineers in the shop, had the stuff to make other stuff, opened up the workshop , I saw the categories. [one was empty] , but alas there was no inflatable, I know I can get a kerbal to carry one of these around.

I can see how this would be a great mod to help make small replacement parts combined with the Ground Construction Mod, if you can get a bare bones base up, one would be set.

I have built inflatables in the past but it has been awhile.  At one point there were mass limits on the workshops (the inflatable workshop not being able to build larger things).  I'd browse through the configs.

10 hours ago, goldenpsp said:

I have built inflatables in the past but it has been awhile.  At one point there were mass limits on the workshops (the inflatable workshop not being able to build larger things).  I'd browse through the configs.

LOL , "Browse through the configs... he says"  Like I know what I am looking for.  You do realize, that I didn't know what the offsetting tools were for, until after my 8th months of playing.  

What would I look for?

2 minutes ago, gamerscircle said:

LOL , "Browse through the configs... he says"  Like I know what I am looking for.  You do realize, that I didn't know what the offsetting tools were for, until after my 8th months of playing.  

What would I look for?

Yes I know, you've played the "I don't know much" card for most of your posting on the forums.

Back before the new "tundra" modules in MKS came out there were 2 workshops.  The inflatable one and the "bigger" one.  I haven't looked in awhile but I Imagine that is still the case.  At that time the smaller workshops had a mass limit to what they could build via OSE.

So go in game. find all the modules that function as an OSE workshop.  If the description mentions a mass limit then great.  If not set them up on the KSC and play around to see which ones can build what you want.  It's not rocket science (well I guess it sort of is, but not really).

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.