[1.2] OSE Workshop - KIS Addon: (v1.1.0 - 2016.11.03)

ObiVanDamme

Would it be possible to modify this via MM.cfg to the extent that it would act as a un-kerballed 3D printer that can only create certain simple parts, like trusses?

You can do that by changing the config of the Workshop Module as follows

MODULE

{

name = OseModuleWorkshop

Limits = advConstruction,300,specializedConstruction,1000,advMetalworks,20000 => The numbers represent the maximum volume of a part that can be build in the workshop. Set this to lower values to limit the options

MinimumCrew = 2 => Set this to zero and you can use the Workshop without any Kerbals

}

- - - Updated - - -

Thank you for the mod, this is great - it's the 3D printer my station has been needing :)

I imagine this may well be to do with having Community Tech Tree installed (I'm guessing it's referencing nodes that would be unlocked at this stage in the career), but I can build items from the workshop that I haven't researched yet in my current career save. It's not game breaking, since I don't have to exploit it, but it's still a thing.

I did not have tested the current version with CTT, but as you mentioned this, I think I currently do not check if a part is unlocked at all. The problem should also exist in non CTT games and needs to be fixed. Thank you very much. I will take a look how I can find the parts that are already unlocked and purchased.

- - - Updated - - -

Stupid question but can someone please give me a scenario why I would use this mod? I get what it does but not the benefits.

My initial thoughts for this mod came up, when my first interplanetary mission reached its destination. The moment the craft reached the planet it was already out of date. Primarily in regards to the science experiments. I thought, that it would be very nice if I could add the missing experiments to the craft while I am here. This also was the moment I installed KAS, because in some way it was what I wanted. I was able to upgrade my craft with new small parts while in flight. The problem was, that I had to bring the parts to my craft with a supply mission from kerbin. I wanted to be able to create the experiments in flight and so the mod was born.

Is there part disassembly in this mod? If not, can you add disassembly action that refunds half of the RocketParts? I wish i could use this workshop for recycling old lander engines, legs and other parts on my base into something useful.

I've added in recycling using module manager, since the workshop requires MKS, and MKS has part recycling into recyclables so I've turned the workshop into a recyclables to machinery shop in order to allow upkeep of MKS modules by scrapping and reusing obsolete parts, also theres a machinery to rocketparts shop to allow construction of new parts.

@PART[OSE_Workshop_OKS]:FINAL
{
MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceConverter
ConverterName = Scrap shop
StartActionName = Start scrapping
StopActionName = Stop scrapping
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Recyclables
Ratio = 1
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ElectricCharge
Ratio = 12
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Machinery
Ratio = 0.5
DumpExcess = False
}
}
MODULE
{
name = ModuleResourceConverter
ConverterName = Parts Workshop
StartActionName = Start making Parts
StopActionName = Stop making parts
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = Machinery
Ratio = 1
}
INPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = ElectricCharge
Ratio = 12
}
OUTPUT_RESOURCE
{
ResourceName = RocketParts
Ratio = 1
DumpExcess = False
}
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Recyclables
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1000
isTweakable = True
}
RESOURCE
{
name = Machinery
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1000
isTweakable = True
}
RESOURCE
{
name = RocketParts
amount = 0
maxAmount = 1000
isTweakable = True
}
}

Change [OSE_Workshop_OKS] to [OSE_Workshop] for the ground version.

Keep in mind that MKS gives you half as many recyclables as a part costs in rocket parts, so using this you'll only get 25% back.

I've added in recycling using module manager, since the workshop requires MKS, and MKS has part recycling into recyclables so I've turned the workshop into a recyclables to machinery shop in order to allow upkeep of MKS modules by scrapping and reusing obsolete parts, also theres a machinery to rocketparts shop to allow construction of new parts.

Keep in mind that MKS gives you half as many recyclables as a part costs in rocket parts, so using this you'll only get 25% back.

Where do you have Part Recycling in MKS? I know there is an MKS Part that works with the EL Recycling, but I did not find a version that works without EL. Can you tell me the part or the module?

I just opened my game that has only mks, the fire spitter dll, community resource definitions, and usi tools installed.

An EVA engineer can disassemble parts into scrap as long as it has no child parts, if it's at the end of a node or radially attached it's good to scrap.

I just opened my game that has only mks, the fire spitter dll, community resource definitions, and usi tools installed.

An EVA engineer can disassemble parts into scrap as long as it has no child parts, if it's at the end of a node or radially attached it's good to scrap.

Ok, I did not notice, that you get recycables back when you scrap a Part. I thought it was only for removal purposes.

I wasn't entirely sure which mod added the scrapping because I have so many Installed, I had to double check.

I previously had my pioneer module making machinery from recyclables, but it makes far more sense using your workshop. :)

I have a question, does the workshop produce filled or empty parts?

Extraplanetary launchpads will only fill up fuel tanks, life support, etc if your base has enough in storage, otherwise you could use the workshop to produce fuel supplies etc which is somewhat wrong.

I wasn't entirely sure which mod added the scrapping because I have so many Installed, I had to double check.

I previously had my pioneer module making machinery from recyclables, but it makes far more sense using your workshop. :)

I have a question, does the workshop produce filled or empty parts?

Extraplanetary launchpads will only fill up fuel tanks, life support, etc if your base has enough in storage, otherwise you could use the workshop to produce fuel supplies etc which is somewhat wrong.

All Parts are created empty

Excellent.

Edit: My log is being spammed with :"[ERR 15:39:08.696] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'OseModuleRecipe'"

One for every part, there may be an error with the module manager config:

@PART

[*]:HAS[!MODULE[OseModuleRecipe]]:FOR[Workshop]

{

MODULE

{

name = OseModuleRecipe

Input = RocketParts,1

}

}

I seem to have broken the workshop, perhaps it was one of my MM patches. My KIS was out of date, I'll try the newest version.

Edit: That fixed it.

Edited by MarcAFK

Excellent.

Edit: My log is being spammed with :"[ERR 15:39:08.696] Cannot find a PartModule of typename 'OseModuleRecipe'"

One for every part, there may be an error with the module manager config:

I seem to have broken the workshop, perhaps it was one of my MM patches. My KIS was out of date, I'll try the newest version.

It looks like MM was not able to apply the patch. Might be the incompatible KIS assembly that prevents the Workshop from being loaded

Well that fixed it, I can see in the log all the parts being modified, and the workshop definitely works now.

Now I just need to sort through my 1.5 mb log and fix the 100 other errors.

Hi! I've had your mod installed for about a week or so, and have put OSE Orbital Workshops onto two of my orbital stations. During preparation for a rescue/contract mission where I would need to install batteries on a base, I realized I forgot a wrench! Silly me, I'll have to send up a supply rocket, but wait! I have a 3d printer on my Munar Station, I thought. The only problem was that, on arriving and docking, the Workshop didn't work properly. I have the workshop attached with Universal Docking Ports to the station core, and there is storage everywhere. When I hit Queue on the Wrench, it goes through to 100, drains rocket parts and electrical charge, but the wrench is nowhere to be found. Inspecting all accessible KIS inventories on the ship (not including empty crew), there were no wrenches. In exasperation I made about 8 wrenches and some batteries. My rocket parts and EC were gone, but I got no parts :\

When I decided to reload the game to see if that could fix things, it properly made the wrench, but the workshop became bugged at 100.5/100 and is now constantly draining EC. I am really confused, I guess it worked now but the situation is not all that better. If you need any logs I can get those.

Edit: Upon crashing and looking at the log, in this case it spewed

"

[ERR 02:24:08.720] [KIS] AddItem error : No free slot available for Wrench

[ERR 02:24:08.721] [OSE] - OseModuleWorkshop_OnUpdate - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

"

until it crashed. Maybe the old items became ghosts in the crew's inventory? It showed that every slot was open except one that was filled with a wrench. Hmm.

Thanks for the amazing mod :) I'm just trying to get it to work properly :)

Edited by civilwargeeky

Hi! I've had your mod installed for about a week or so, and have put OSE Orbital Workshops onto two of my orbital stations. During preparation for a rescue/contract mission where I would need to install batteries on a base, I realized I forgot a wrench! Silly me, I'll have to send up a supply rocket, but wait! I have a 3d printer on my Munar Station, I thought. The only problem was that, on arriving and docking, the Workshop didn't work properly. I have the workshop attached with Universal Docking Ports to the station core, and there is storage everywhere. When I hit Queue on the Wrench, it goes through to 100, drains rocket parts and electrical charge, but the wrench is nowhere to be found. Inspecting all accessible KIS inventories on the ship (not including empty crew), there were no wrenches. In exasperation I made about 8 wrenches and some batteries. My rocket parts and EC were gone, but I got no parts :\

When I decided to reload the game to see if that could fix things, it properly made the wrench, but the workshop became bugged at 100.5/100 and is now constantly draining EC. I am really confused, I guess it worked now but the situation is not all that better. If you need any logs I can get those.

Edit: Upon crashing and looking at the log, in this case it spewed

"

[ERR 02:24:08.720] [KIS] AddItem error : No free slot available for Wrench

[ERR 02:24:08.721] [OSE] - OseModuleWorkshop_OnUpdate - Object reference not set to an instance of an object

"

until it crashed. Maybe the old items became ghosts in the crew's inventory? It showed that every slot was open except one that was filled with a wrench. Hmm.

Thanks for the amazing mod :) I'm just trying to get it to work properly :)

The Error you describe, where the Workshop stops at 100.5/100 and drains EC usually happends, when the Workshop and KIS Version do not match. The latest release of the Workshop 0.7.3 only works with KIS 1.1.5. All other combinations do not work properly. I currently work on making the code more robust and to such errors and give better explainations why things do not work as they should. Sorry that I cannot help you any more with that problem at the moment

Edit: I think I found the Problem. Patch is on the way

Edited by ObiVanDamme

Version 0.8.0 introduces Recycler Module to the Workshop

- Added Recycler Module to Workshop, to allow scrapping of Inventory Items

- Fixed a bug that caused the Workshop to crash when there is enough space but no free slots in an inventory to place a built part

- Fixed a bug that caused the Workshop to place parts in pod inventories, which where not occupied by a Kerbal

Awesome! Thanks for the quick fix. At first it was still being a bit buggy (it hung with the "No free slot available for wrench" error), but I went into the persistent.sfs file and deleted the wrenches and things from uncrewed parts and then it worked properly and added the wrench to a KIS container. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, the new recycler is awesome :)

Edit 2: However, there is some bug that I am not sure how to activate. I had the Recycler GUI open, then opened the Workshop and I started getting "

[Exception] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[Error] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

"

And then I can't open either GUI :\

Restarting the game and warping forward a bit fixed the issue, and now I can open both GUIs at the same time again. Strange. Not game-breaking at all though :)

Edited by civilwargeeky

Could you add a setting to the configuration file that changes the output % of the recycler?

While a 100% recyclability rate is all well and good I imagine some people might like the added difficulty of a partial refund, also it would allow setting it to be in line with MKS's 50% returns from scrapping, though I can see how having a dedicated workshop would allow improved efficiency, also considering how it restricts you to available volume and research level perhaps a 75%-90% efficiency rate would be acceptable?

Could you add a setting to the configuration file that changes the output % of the recycler?

While a 100% recyclability rate is all well and good I imagine some people might like the added difficulty of a partial refund, also it would allow setting it to be in line with MKS's 50% returns from scrapping, though I can see how having a dedicated workshop would allow improved efficiency, also considering how it restricts you to available volume and research level perhaps a 75%-90% efficiency rate would be acceptable?

The last release was just to make the functionality available and get some feedback. It is not yet balanced. I will reduce the efficiency in the next releases and I might change the output ressource to something different. At the moment the Recycler will recycle to the original components, which does not make much sense.

- - - Updated - - -

Awesome! Thanks for the quick fix. At first it was still being a bit buggy (it hung with the "No free slot available for wrench" error), but I went into the persistent.sfs file and deleted the wrenches and things from uncrewed parts and then it worked properly and added the wrench to a KIS container. Thanks again!

Edit: Also, the new recycler is awesome :)

Edit 2: However, there is some bug that I am not sure how to activate. I had the Recycler GUI open, then opened the Workshop and I started getting "

[Exception] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object

[Error] GUI Error: You are pushing more GUIClips than you are popping. Make sure they are balanced)

"

And then I can't open either GUI :\

Restarting the game and warping forward a bit fixed the issue, and now I can open both GUIs at the same time again. Strange. Not game-breaking at all though :)

I had this problem during testing as well and I think it was because of the random number generator returning the same ID for both Windows. I thought I had that fixed, because after changing to a different solution it worked for me. I hope it had something to do with the first start after an update. Sometimes the existing craft file makes problem while loading a module that changed. When you save the game and restart it seems to work again. Usually swithing the vessel or returning to the KSC is enough. Glad it works for you now

You say that MKS/OKS is a required mod in the OP, but why is this? The only thing that i can think of is the models and textures, but these are included in the mod.

The Models are not included. I just created some textures. If MKS/OKS is missing you will not have the parts. Other than that, you are right. There is no dependency. The reason is, that MKS provides lots of the infrastructure that I cannot provide at the moment like storage and a production chain for Rocket Parts. We are currently working on a way to get rid of this dependency and provide a stand alone version that works without MKS. Stay tuned

I have tried to remove all of the MKS assets and cfgs, except the ones listed in the part cfgs for the workshops. However, upon loading, loading freezes at OSE_WORKSHOP. Checking the log shows a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Is there anything else in MKS that i may have deleted that this mod needs? I can give you the log file if it helps.

EDIT: I have updated this mod and KIS and it still happens.

EDIT2: Here is an extract from the log file from where it occurs:

[EXC 22:07:37.379] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures)
PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor, .AvailablePart partInfo)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

Edited by Whizzkid

I have tried to remove all of the MKS assets and cfgs, except the ones listed in the part cfgs for the workshops. However, upon loading, loading freezes at OSE_WORKSHOP. Checking the log shows a "NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object". Is there anything else in MKS that i may have deleted that this mod needs? I can give you the log file if it helps.

EDIT: I have updated this mod and KIS and it still happens.

EDIT2: Here is an extract from the log file from where it occurs:

[EXC 22:07:37.379] NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
PartLoader.ReplaceTextures (UnityEngine.GameObject model, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 textureNames, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 newTextures)
PartLoader.CompileModel (.UrlConfig cfg, .ConfigNode partCfg, Single scaleFactor, .AvailablePart partInfo)
PartLoader.ParsePart (.UrlConfig urlConfig, .ConfigNode node)
PartLoader+.MoveNext ()

The Models for MKS need some additional textures, which are not listed in the CFG files. Those textures are hard coded in the model file. I only created decals that create a logo on the model, but not a complete texture. I cannot tell you which one it is but it must be something that looks like the generic mks and the oks module

The Models for MKS need some additional textures, which are not listed in the CFG files. Those textures are hard coded in the model file. I only created decals that create a logo on the model, but not a complete texture. I cannot tell you which one it is but it must be something that looks like the generic mks and the oks module

Ok thanks, i'll probably experiment with removing textures to see which one it is.

• 2 weeks later...

Version 0.9.0 has just been released and brings you a stand-alone version with new amazing parts

• Update to be compatible with KSP 1.0.4
  • Removed dependency to MKS (Part configs and assets are still available in the _Optionals_ folder)
  • Removed tech tree progression for part size limit and made it configurable per module (Existing printers do not grow in size when technology advances)
  • Added new MaterialKits ressource that will be used by the workshop
  • Added new parts for workshop (part size limit of 2000), resource processing of Ore -> MaterialKits and storage for MaterialKits.
  • Added workshop module to Mobile Processing Lab (part size limit of 300 liters)
  • Placed all workshop parts in the science branch of the tech tree starting with the small storage container and the Workshop module inside the Processing Lab in the advanced exploration node.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.