[1.4.1] Fuel Tanks Plus 2.0.2 (2018-03-14)

NecroBones

Ok I checked again and my CKAN says they conflict...

The mod I have installed in CKAN is called "FuelSwitch to every tank-default" by micha030201

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123581

CKAN says: The following inconsistencies were found: FuelSwitch to every tank-default 0.3 conflicts with InterstellarFuelSwitch-core 1.15, cant install both.

Ah, interesting. The cores don't conflict, but I guess that one is set up to conflict for some reason. Really, there's no reason that it should conflict with the "core" version of interstellar, since that one just provides capability without applying it to anything itself.

"FuelSwitch to every tank-default" isn't maintained by the Firespitter folks, so he probably just had them set it up that way without realizing the difference. I'll open an issue on CKAN and see what they want to do about it.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, another thought-- this also opens up another temporary fix. Since the Firespitter Core, and the Interstellar Fuel Switch Core don't conflict, what you could do is maintain all of those through CKAN, and manually install the "FuelSwitch to every tank-default", since it's really just a module manager config (I think).

Hmmm, yeah, that's a bit of a pickle. :)

There are a couple of ways around that. One is to install FTP manually. Another is to switch to Interstellar instead of FS, since they have pretty much the same functionality, but Interstellar has some advantages, which they describe on their forum thread, such as better integration with Tweakscale, and better persistence in saves, more GUI options, etc. I switched the preference because of those advantages.

I think it's also possible to edit the CKAN cached data to remove the requirements from your local copy.

It's a tough call in terms of the dependencies, since FTP will support either one, but in CKAN they wanted to list just one of the two as required. If I took the requirement off, then there would be a lot of other CKAN users who would be highly confused that about FTP not working right when they installed it.

May I suggest that you create a MM file which addes the FuelSwitches based on what is installed in the gameData folder? That way it is not a hardwired dependency but optional and should not cause too much conflicts.

May I suggest that you create a MM file which addes the FuelSwitches based on what is installed in the gameData folder? That way it is not a hardwired dependency but optional and should not cause too much conflicts.

Yes, it already works that way. But CKAN doesn't "know" about it.

Does this work with Real Fuels any more? I've got a weird problem whereby the tanks will be OK to fill up with the real fuels propellant, however the tanks then automatically fill up with stock LF + Ox when I change scene. Is there any way around this?

Cheers.

Ok I checked again and my CKAN says they conflict...

The mod I have installed in CKAN is called "FuelSwitch to every tank-default" by micha030201

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/123581

CKAN says: The following inconsistencies were found: FuelSwitch to every tank-default 0.3 conflicts with InterstellarFuelSwitch-core 1.15, cant install both.

OK, this "conflicts" rule has been removed, so it should work now. However, something I noticed is that "FuelSwitch to every tank-default" doesn't check for fuel switching on tanks before adding it, so you may get two sets of buttons for fuel switching on these tanks. But otherwise things should work.

Does this work with Real Fuels any more? I've got a weird problem whereby the tanks will be OK to fill up with the real fuels propellant, however the tanks then automatically fill up with stock LF + Ox when I change scene. Is there any way around this?

Cheers.

That's a good question. The Real-Fuels support was added on their side, rather than mine, so they probably need to update it to work with the 1.0+ versions of FTP. Unless they're having compatibility issues with Interstellar Fuel Switch? I'm not sure exactly. I may go ask them.

Hi,

I just found out that my communications network which was built using the Oscar-100 fuel tank is going to have a problem. specifically, the tank is depreciated, so I can't launch any more and the description says that it will go away soon.

Is this the same size as the Oscar-D, and if so, would it be possible to simply edit my save file? If so, what would I need to change?

Otherwise, I will have to throw this career away and start over.

Thanks in advance

LGG

Hi,

I just found out that my communications network which was built using the Oscar-100 fuel tank is going to have a problem. specifically, the tank is depreciated, so I can't launch any more and the description says that it will go away soon.

Is this the same size as the Oscar-D, and if so, would it be possible to simply edit my save file? If so, what would I need to change?

Otherwise, I will have to throw this career away and start over.

Hi there! Yeah, I was thinking about this very problem. I think there are some solutions.

What I'll probably do is this: Instead of completely deleting the deprecated parts, I'll probably move them to a supplemental pack. It'll be an optional pack that only contains the deprecated parts for compatibility.

However, if you want to future-proof your save now, it can be edited. The main thing is that the part ID/Name changed from "TPtank0mL01875-Grey" to "TPtank0mL01875" (notice that the color was removed from the name).

Secondly, due to the mesh switching, I think you'll need to add the Interstellar data blocks to those parts in the save. You'll notice that those tanks should already have "ModuleJettison" blocks associated with them. Right after those (and before the "RESOURCE" blocks), you'll want to insert the fuel/mesh switching blocks from Interstellar:

MODULE
{
name = InterstellarMeshSwitch
isEnabled = True
selectedObject = 0
EVENTS
{
nextObjectEvent
{
active = True
guiActive = False
guiActiveEditor = True
guiIcon = Next part variant
guiName = Next Variant
category = Next part variant
guiActiveUnfocused = False
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
previousObjectEvent
{
active = True
guiActive = False
guiActiveEditor = True
guiIcon = Prev part variant
guiName = Previous Variant
category = Prev part variant
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}
MODULE
{
name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
isEnabled = True
configuredAmounts =
traceBoiloff = False
selectedTankSetup = 0
selectedTankSetupTxt = LiquidFuel+Oxidizer
gameLoaded = True
configLoaded = True
EVENTS
{
nextTankSetupEvent
{
active = True
guiActive = False
guiActiveEditor = True
guiIcon = Next tank setup
guiName = Next tank setup
category = Next tank setup
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
previousTankSetupEvent
{
active = True
guiActive = False
guiActiveEditor = True
guiIcon = Previous tank setup
guiName = Previous tank setup
category = Previous tank setup
unfocusedRange = 2
externalToEVAOnly = True
}
}
ACTIONS
{
}
}

I haven't tested editing this by hand like this, but those blocks were the new sections I was able to find, based on launching a vehicle with the new "Oscar-100" equivalent with the same appearance.

EDIT: Corrected an issue with the data blocks above.

Edited by NecroBones

Hi there! Yeah, I was thinking about this very problem. I think there are some solutions.

What I'll probably do is this: Instead of completely deleting the deprecated parts, I'll probably move them to a supplemental pack. It'll be an optional pack that only contains the deprecated parts for compatibility.

However, if you want to future-proof your save now, it can be edited. The main thing is that the part ID/Name changed from "TPtank0mL01875-Grey" to "TPtank0mL01875" (notice that the color was removed from the name).

Secondly, due to the mesh switching, I think you'll need to add the Interstellar data blocks to those parts in the save. You'll notice that those tanks should already have "ModuleJettison" blocks associated with them. Right after those (and before the "RESOURCE" blocks), you'll want to insert the fuel/mesh switching blocks from Interstellar:

I haven't tested editing this by hand like this, but those blocks were the new sections I was able to find, based on launching a vehicle with the new "Oscar-100" equivalent with the same appearance.

EDIT: Corrected an issue with the data blocks above.

Thank you.

For now, I have some saved ships which use the old part. While I could certainly rebuild them, it would be nice if I could just continue to use them, but right now I get the message that the ship contains experimental parts that aren't available right now.

Is there anything I can do to get this working easily? I assume it could be as simple as a MM patch.

If I get some time, I'll see if I can hand-edit the files, but due to the saved ships, there are a number of files.

Thanks

Probably the best long-term solution would be to edit the crafts, replacing the tanks with the newer versions in the VAB/SPH (it'll let you load them, just not launch them). Editing the craft files directly also works of course.

However, I've also thrown together the needed MM config to re-enable them, if you want to go that route. I'll include a disabled copy of it in the next release, but here's the config:

@PART[TPtankCube?????|TPtankTri0?|TPtank?mL?????-*|TPtankR??-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPcone?m-*|TPdome?m-*]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@category = FuelTank
@manufacturer = FTP-DEPRECATED
}
@PART[TPtankCube00500|TPtankCube00750|TPtankCube01250|TPtankTri01]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = propulsionSystems
}
@PART[TPtankTri02]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = ionPropulsion
}
@PART[TPtank0mL?????-*]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = precisionPropulsion
}
@PART[TPtank1mL00313-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = basicRocketry
}
@PART[TPtank1mL05625-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPtank2mL00469-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = fuelSystems
}
@PART[TPtankR0?-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPcone2m-*|TPdome2m-*|TPtank2mL05625-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = advFuelSystems
}
@PART[TPtank2mL11250-*|TPtank2mL15000-*|TPdome3m-*|TPcone3m-*|TPtank3mL00938-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = largeVolumeContainment
}
@PART[TPtank3mL05625-White|TPtank3mL11250-*|TPtank3mL15000-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = highPerformanceFuelSystems
}

Hi NecroBones,

It's been a while. I've got a new full time job as a programmer, which leaves less time for KSP than my old secretary job (most of the time, I was doing nothing). Rest assured that I have followed your progress closely and update (using CKAN) your mods daily, even though I rarely get to actually play KSP.

I noticed an interesting issue with FL-T50, but I cannot seem to find where the problem is in the cfg file:

WK4rnQY.pngi1gFTAY.png

I love the texture switching, and I'm eagerly awaiting CCC adding FTP's color options to the stock tanks.

All the best!

Edited by NBZ
Added second pic to show discrepancy

Hi NecroBones,

It's been a while. I've got a new full time job as a programmer, which leaves less time for KSP than my old secretary job (most of the time, I was doing nothing). Rest assured that I have followed your progress closely and update (using CKAN) your mods daily, even though I rarely get to actually play KSP.

I noticed an interesting issue with FL-T50, but I cannot seem to find where the problem is in the cfg file:

http://i.imgur.com/WK4rnQY.pnghttp://i.imgur.com/i1gFTAY.png

I love the texture switching, and I'm eagerly awaiting CCC adding FTP's color options to the stock tanks.

All the best!

Hey, great to see you here. :) Congrats on the new job!

Yeah, the last few months have been very, very busy for me too. My modding is going at probably less than a third of the rate, compared to what I did over the winter. But I'm trying to keep some things rolling.

I found the problem with the tank. It's a copy-paste error in the fuel switching config. I'll get an update out today.

Also, I'm thinking about the color-choosing on CCC, but haven't decided on the best route yet. Ideally I think the pack should stay lean for people who don't use FTP, and ideally also it should use the FTP textures when doing it. So it could be something that activates only when both are installed. But then, which pack to distribute the alternate models with? They'd be wasted memory in either place if they're not in use by installing both mods. So an alternative is then to make the CCC-FTP "supplemental" stuff a separate pack, that shows up as a recommended choice in CKAN or something. Dunno, still thinking on it.

Finally had some free time. Update is posted:

1.0.4 (2015-07-31) - Tweaks.
- Now including a (disabled by default) Module Manager config for re-enabling deprecated parts in the VAB/SPH.
- This should not be relied upon as a long-term solution.
- Corrected a mistake with dry-mass of the FLT-50-FTP tank in the fuel switching config.

Have you considered taking the tanks out of the SpaceY and putting them here instead? This way SpaceY becomes engines, boosters and misc big hardware, and this becomes all the tanks. That way those that use something like ProceduralParts for tanks can get SpaceY for engines, drone cores, and so on without duplicating the tanks, and those who want the tanks only can do so without loading all the extra parts... Just wondering if a consolidation might make more sense (also add in the color coded tanks as an option to this mod as well, instead of a stand alone).

Have you considered taking the tanks out of the SpaceY and putting them here instead? This way SpaceY becomes engines, boosters and misc big hardware, and this becomes all the tanks. That way those that use something like ProceduralParts for tanks can get SpaceY for engines, drone cores, and so on without duplicating the tanks, and those who want the tanks only can do so without loading all the extra parts... Just wondering if a consolidation might make more sense (also add in the color coded tanks as an option to this mod as well, instead of a stand alone).

Not really, since most people using SpaceY would need the tanks for it, and they might not want everything that FTP provides. Part of the whole point of SpaceY is to be similar to the "ARM" update of 0.23.5 of KSP (which added the 3.75m diameter).

Far a case like this, it's fine to just delete everything in the SpaceY tanks folder (GameData/SpaceY-Lifters/Parts/FuelTanks), except for "SYtank5m-Specular.dds", which is needed by the R7 engine.

Hey NecroBones,

Do you think you could package this up into a small CKAN-supported module? It would make it easier to keep track of.

I could do it, if you like.

LGG

Probably the best long-term solution would be to edit the crafts, replacing the tanks with the newer versions in the VAB/SPH (it'll let you load them, just not launch them). Editing the craft files directly also works of course.

However, I've also thrown together the needed MM config to re-enable them, if you want to go that route. I'll include a disabled copy of it in the next release, but here's the config:

@PART[TPtankCube?????|TPtankTri0?|TPtank?mL?????-*|TPtankR??-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPcone?m-*|TPdome?m-*]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@category = FuelTank
@manufacturer = FTP-DEPRECATED
}
@PART[TPtankCube00500|TPtankCube00750|TPtankCube01250|TPtankTri01]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = propulsionSystems
}
@PART[TPtankTri02]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = ionPropulsion
}
@PART[TPtank0mL?????-*]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = precisionPropulsion
}
@PART[TPtank1mL00313-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = basicRocketry
}
@PART[TPtank1mL05625-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPtank2mL00469-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = fuelSystems
}
@PART[TPtankR0?-*|TPtank1mCone?|TPcone2m-*|TPdome2m-*|TPtank2mL05625-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = advFuelSystems
}
@PART[TPtank2mL11250-*|TPtank2mL15000-*|TPdome3m-*|TPcone3m-*|TPtank3mL00938-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = largeVolumeContainment
}
@PART[TPtank3mL05625-White|TPtank3mL11250-*|TPtank3mL15000-White]:AFTER[FuelTanksPlus]
{
@TechRequired = highPerformanceFuelSystems
}

LGG - you may want to ask the CKAN folks about that - they do have a way of creating a module that gets "locked" as deprecated, but remains available just for people with it in saves (they have to manually install the package). I think one example is the KSPAPI extensions (Im not sure if thats the name, but its something similar), which are deprecated, and locked to KSP 0.90, so people cannot and will not load them because the author wants to move forward, but also wants to allow old users to still be able to get that old version to support career saves. Might want to ask in IRC or on the CKAN thread. Plague006 would be the one to talk to.

Yep, CKAN might have a specific way of handling that.

Some things to keep in mind:

* The config for that should never change (unless we spot a bug, or something missing from it). All it's doing is re-assigning those parts back to their previous settings. So you can put a copy of it anywhere you like (right under GameData, for instance), and not have to worry about it getting overwritten.

* Eventually the parts will be removed from the main FTP mod, but my plan is to make an optional "deprecated parts" pack to contain them for compatibility. They'll still be disabled by default, like they are now, so this MM config could still be useful. I'll still include a disabled copy of it, but it'll move over to the deprecation pack along with the parts.

• 2 weeks later...

NecroBones, I suggest changing the Blue Delta color scheme to the 1.25m fuel tanks, because actually the Delta IV variants (9000 series) are 5m in diameter, so in KSP scale will be about 2.5m. But the Delta II and III are the blue Thor tanks ones, and they are 2.44m so roughly 1.25m in KSP scale. I think you have the color schemes wrong because of the wikipedia wrong Delta Rocket Family picture, this :

CvMHJdQ.png

But in reality the correct color for all the Delta Family Rockets is this :

RjJNv0f.jpg

... Or, I could just rename it. ;) In actuality, here's what happened:

I started out by looking at the "International Space Rockets" poster that I have on my wall at work, and saw that it had mostly white/black/orange rockets, but had a handful with blue or reddish-brown colors as well. I thought it would be cool to have some fuel tanks in the stock sizes that have some of those kinds of colors. So I made them, and then had no idea what to call them, so I referred back to the poster to get some ideas.

They're not meant to actually be historically accurate color schemes. I'm not aware of any historical rockets that have pinstripes, for instance. :) It was just a way to get some interesting new color options with some different details than you get with the stock tanks. Then I took some historical inspiration for the naming scheme.

It would be a lot less confusing perhaps, if I just named them "Blue", instead of "Delta". :) ... and then maybe name the orange ones "Delta" instead of "Jumbo". :)

Edited by NecroBones

Hi Necro, Great job on this mod, adds lots of nice variety options :)

There seems to be a typo in the config for the RP-400 tank. When it switches to LF/OX its mass becomes 125 tons instead of 0.125 tons.

Hah, woops. I also had the dry mass set a little high for the individual fuels on all of the radial tanks. I've posted an update.

1.0.5 (2015-08-23) - Bug fix.
- Moved README and CHANGELOG to mod's folder.
- Fixed a problem with one of the RP-400 radial tank's fuel combinations having a dry mass of 125 tons.
- Lowered the dry mass of radial tanks for non-monopropellant configurations.

- - - Updated - - -

It would be a lot less confusing perhaps, if I just named them "Blue", instead of "Delta". :) ... and then maybe name the orange ones "Delta" instead of "Jumbo". :)

Also, I haven't forgotten about this, but I just haven't decided what to do with it yet. ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.