Stack stability

Hello folks. I just started playing KSP this weekend (even payed $15 for a pre-order and downloaded version .14).

However, in using some of the mods (ie the Nova Launch parts) my vehicle becomes extremely unstable even when it is just sitting on the pad. I know I can use struts and stuff to make boosters more stable when they are attached to the side, but my main concern is that 1.75, 2, or 3m wide tanks become extremely unstable when stacked on top of each other.

Suggestions?

That\'s a general problem with excessively tall rockets in this game. A picture of your rocket would probably be helpful in figuring out if you\'re doing anything really wrong.

As a suggestion, abandon really tall rockets. The way that aerodynamic drag is calculated in the game gives no bonus to skinny rockets over flat pancake rockets (unlike real life) so you might want to try building your rockets squatter first. ;)

Actually, even if you want to build tall rockets, making wider rockets is the first step towards fixing your problem: make the base wider and use struts to connect the wider lower stages to the thinner upper stages.

Also, I think 1.75m, 2m, and 3m parts aren\'t actually less prone to wobbling than the 1m ones. I think they all have the same amount of flexibility in the joint between the parts.

Something I do on my larger craft is to fit side boosters and make sure the bottom of the engines are all level, this spreads the weight better.

A trick I found recently is to fit struts from the bottom to the engines, as it\'s often the engines that are struggling with the weight that is causing the wobble, on my rockets at least, and having decoupler 'feet' also can help.

A lot of the interstage pieces, especially those in NovaPunch are sort of 'hacks' in that they have multiple nodes and allow you to connect even if your collision meshes overlap. So when using those, you MUST take care to connect each end to the proper node so that the parts fit together with as little gap as possible; assume that each part has a solid 'cylinder' just under its visible surface (at leasr for rocket parts like tanks and engines)