[WIP] KopernicusTech - An integration attempt between Kopernicus and KittopiaTech (v0.13 - 03/26/15)

Gravitasi

Glad to know that they are all working. Does the atmosphere on scaled space rim also shows up correctly? And also, have you encountered any problem with the rings?

For your black terrain problem... This might not be the solution, but anyway, have you tried to update your graphic card driver?

OH! I THINK I FOUND THE ISSUE!

-force-d311 and -force-opengl do not work with this mod it seems.

WOOT WOOT!

OH! I THINK I FOUND THE ISSUE!

-force-d311 and -force-opengl do not work with this mod it seems.

WOOT WOOT!

Not surprised about d311, but opengl should work. If it does not, all the linux and mac people have quite the problem for now.

Augustus can you give me a sample config file for Skeltron? I'm still having trouble getting the atmosphere to show up. Do I need to start with an atmospheric planet as my template? (right now it's Tylo)

Also how do you make the .bin files? Do I need to export using Kittopia?

Augustus can you give me a sample config file for Skeltron? I'm still having trouble getting the atmosphere to show up. Do I need to start with an atmospheric planet as my template? (right now it's Tylo)

Also how do you make the .bin files? Do I need to export using Kittopia?

Bin files aren't needed, and you don't need to change anything. If your template is Duna then it will have Duna's atmosphere.

Is the complete editing of stock planets possible with this yet? So far, I've had no luck doing so.

I tried to modify Moho to resemble Mercury in the following way:

1. Modified Moho's properties in the Kopernicus config (radius, orbit).

2. Applied a texture and normal map to Moho's Scaled Space Mesh in the Kopernicus config.

3. Entered the game and saved a copy of Moho's properties to Kittopia's saves folder.

4. Modified the PQS_VertexHeightMap to reference a new heightmap.

5. Added PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend to the file to override the surface color and display the new surface texture.

When I enter the game again to see if the changes have been applied, the physical and orbital parameters have changed, but the textures and PQS modifications have not taken effect.

Am I doing this incorrectly? Or is the mod not set up for that yet?

OpenGL does work, at least for me. The only problem I've had is using Tylo as a template causes no Kopernicus planets to load.

That's strange as the Trans-Keptunian Pack used only Gilly and Tylo as templates and that worked fine for me.

Maybe the OpenGL thing causes Tylo to not work as a template, or does a new planet with an atmosphere need it's template to be one with an atmosphere?

Update: Not opengl, set one of my atmosphere planets to Tylo and none loaded. Huh.

Edited by Lillz

Quick question: Can people add stars (as a physical entity) in KopernicusTech without too many issues? Apologies if I am being annoying, but I remain rather busy, and have a project in mind that would require a few stars to be created.

Quick question: Can people add stars (as a physical entity) in KopernicusTech without too many issues? Apologies if I am being annoying, but I remain rather busy, and have a project in mind that would require a few stars to be created.

Right now they cause KopernicusTech not to load.

:(

Really stinks because I have a few stars I want to convert to this myself.

Is the complete editing of stock planets possible with this yet? So far, I've had no luck doing so.

I tried to modify Moho to resemble Mercury in the following way:

1. Modified Moho's properties in the Kopernicus config (radius, orbit).

2. Applied a texture and normal map to Moho's Scaled Space Mesh in the Kopernicus config.

3. Entered the game and saved a copy of Moho's properties to Kittopia's saves folder.

4. Modified the PQS_VertexHeightMap to reference a new heightmap.

5. Added PQSMod_VertexColorMapBlend to the file to override the surface color and display the new surface texture.

When I enter the game again to see if the changes have been applied, the physical and orbital parameters have changed, but the textures and PQS modifications have not taken effect.

Am I doing this incorrectly? Or is the mod not set up for that yet?

Are you trying to clone stock planets, or actually change the existing moho to mercury? If it's the latter you should just use RSS to do it. One thing to note is that I found trying to use the heightmap from RSS doesn't seem to work, I think it's in a different format, so that may be your issue if you're trying to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

WOOT!

Now all we need is working stars. Right now when I make mine Kopernicus doesn't load.

I'd say we need volonoi craters. I can't seem to get that PQS mod to work.

Are you trying to clone stock planets, or actually change the existing moho to mercury? If it's the latter you should just use RSS to do it. One thing to note is that I found trying to use the heightmap from RSS doesn't seem to work, I think it's in a different format, so that may be your issue if you're trying to do that.

RSS uses DDS textures. If you install DDSLoader, loading those textures is not an issue. A lot of image editors can also open DDS, after which you can save it to png or something.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96729-0-90-DDSLoader-1-8-%28Dec-15%29-Loads-DDS-Texture-Boringly-fast-edition

RSS uses DDS textures. If you install DDSLoader, loading those textures is not an issue. A lot of image editors can also open DDS, after which you can save it to png or something.

http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/96729-0-90-DDSLoader-1-8-%28Dec-15%29-Loads-DDS-Texture-Boringly-fast-edition

I can load the textures with RSS, but the heightmaps seem to be not a standard format. For example I can't open them in an image editor, and I see no preview image, unlike the normal and color maps.

I just noticed that in PQS KopernicusTech (in this instance the Kittopia part) doesn't work with .dds like RSS did, which is strange because DDS is a native format for KSP. Png works fine though. Maybe there's a bit of code that specifies a png or something.

I just noticed that in PQS KopernicusTech (in this instance the Kittopia part) doesn't work with .dds like RSS did, which is strange because DDS is a native format for KSP. Png works fine though. Maybe there's a bit of code that specifies a png or something.

A goal of mine has always been to add most of the real planets/moons in our solar system to the kerbal system along with the stock planets.

Bin files aren't needed, and you don't need to change anything.

This is subjective I think. Sometimes using a texture and normal map can make the planet look very flat from map view, not to mention it won't pick up any extra noise you add to the terrain with other mods.

Here is an example of a planet done using both techniques, the first is without exporting a .bin file.

D2cnfp5.jpg

And here is after adding a .bin.

WlvQZ64.png

I prefer the second one myself, but choose what works best for you.

Oh, and to create a .bin just use the export scaledspace button in kittopiatech.

As a side note, I also ran into a problem of using Tylo having my planet not show up, even though Flo shows up and it does indeed use Tylo. Pretty odd. The sunlight bug is really bothering me, I wish we could get that squashed.

EDIT: Seems I can't get the .bin to load without having to go to the planet and do a manual update mesh, unfortunate.

Edited by Borisbee

Unfortunately, DDS texture is not yet supported. I don't have much experience working with them at the moment...

This is subjective I think. Sometimes using a texture and normal map can make the planet look very flat from map view, not to mention it won't pick up any extra noise you add to the terrain with other mods.

Here is an example of a planet done using both techniques, the first is without exporting a .bin file.

http://i.imgur.com/D2cnfp5.jpg

And here is after adding a .bin.

http://i.imgur.com/WlvQZ64.png

I prefer the second one myself, but choose what works best for you.

Oh, and to create a .bin just use the export scaledspace button in kittopiatech.

As a side note, I also ran into a problem of using Tylo having my planet not show up, even though Flo shows up and it does indeed use Tylo. Pretty odd. The sunlight bug is really bothering me, I wish we could get that squashed.

EDIT: Seems I can't get the .bin to load without having to go to the planet and do a manual update mesh, unfortunate.

You can control the roughness of the normal by changing the mapMaxHeight parameter on PQS. Setting it to lower value will make the normal map rougher, and vice versa.

For the bin file problem, I have no idea what caused it... Is there any error messages on the KSP.log?

I've managed to get part of my OPM planets and moons converted successfully, but I still have a few issues. My large moon Slate, based on Tylo, is working correctly but my smaller moons Hale and Ovok aren't. I can't even test them properly, since they seem to have a tiny or non-existent SoI now. Those SoIs weren't that large in the non-KT version and some people had issues with their size, but they were there. Removing all the properties (so that it's the same size, mass, etc. as the template) worked for Ovok (based on Minmus) but it didn't work for Hale (based on Gilly). Even when it's properties are made identical to Gilly it won't have an SoI large enough to teleport to it with HyperEdit. Anyone have experiences like that?

I've managed to get part of my OPM planets and moons converted successfully, but I still have a few issues. My large moon Slate, based on Tylo, is working correctly but my smaller moons Hale and Ovok aren't. I can't even test them properly, since they seem to have a tiny or non-existent SoI now. Those SoIs weren't that large in the non-KT version and some people had issues with their size, but they were there. Removing all the properties (so that it's the same size, mass, etc. as the template) worked for Ovok (based on Minmus) but it didn't work for Hale (based on Gilly). Even when it's properties are made identical to Gilly it won't have an SoI large enough to teleport to it with HyperEdit. Anyone have experiences like that?

Set the GeeASL to something manageable.

- - - Updated - - -

Unfortunately, DDS texture is not yet supported. I don't have much experience working with them at the moment...

You can control the roughness of the normal by changing the mapMaxHeight parameter on PQS. Setting it to lower value will make the normal map rougher, and vice versa.

For the bin file problem, I have no idea what caused it... Is there any error messages on the KSP.log?

Gravitasi, stars still don't work.