[Stock Helicopters & Turboprops] Non DLC Will Always Be More Fun!

Azimech

My first electric powered plane, also the first time using the @klond variation of the @Majorjim!  :P  of my wheeless design :wink: like bearing. The motor is tiny and the power is awful but it's strangely fun to fly.

I hope to get back into KSP again now.

dPKxoNr.png

Edited by erasmusguy
cus why not?

13 hours ago, erasmusguy said:

I hope to get back into KSP again now.

Welcome back!  I flew the jet version of that one the other day.  Super maneauverable.

-

I got the uh flappy bird started.  Nothing new bearing-wise.  It's a couple different craft.

-frame

-each wing part

-the what-would-you-call-it, center connector?

-and the electric motor

giphy.gif

This is actual speed, but she can't do much more than that.  And with the wings being flat they don't do jack for forward propulsion.

I wanna try another design, but with the thermometers made into tubes like on the mecha-pigeon.

Edited by klond

Can you add a bearing to the wings? You could then use octos mounted to the main frame of the body to turn the wings as they rise and fall by them hitting the wing. I'll make an example later to illustrate. 

Edited by erasmusguy

On 7/18/2017 at 6:06 PM, klond said:

It has begun...

well, a demo anyways - don't get your hopes too high.  It'll probably end up as a jet that flaps but let's give it a go.

I'm gonna need a dozen RCS balls and about 100 thermometers to get this party started.

Good luck

Edited by Gman_builder

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this genius work by @jfrouleau, I'm linking it here

It's a demo vehicle that uses claws to provide articulation for the rotor, making it quite maneuverable and stable high speed.

2017-07-19%2017-38-52.png

Note: I couldn't get the original picture to show up so I posted one of me flying one with my own modifications.

I think this could allow for dramatic performance improvements on stock helis.

How do you propeller propelled plane designers design your propellers? Do you "stick a bunch of blades on and angle them a bit" or do you apply more science than that? I use 8x blades (usually I use short flaps), with an angle of attack of maybe 25 degrees. What do you use, dear reader?

5 minutes ago, Stewcumber said:

How do you propeller propelled plane designers design your propellers? Do you "stick a bunch of blades on and angle them a bit" or do you apply more science than that? <Snip>

While I haven't made a prop plane in a while, I can say that it depends on the design. For small electric planes, from what I've seen that sometimes many small blades offset a bit can make for good flying (mach 1 forever planes if you search around enough).

However what I've seen most effective turboprops is 2-5 larger blades. (Although at times this does cause ground clearance problems)

You can usually get better speed by adjusting the pitch of your blades during flight via the authority limiter. Higher angles of attack do better at higher speed, lower angles of attack at lower speed. This also allows you to "feather," or lie the blades parallel to the air flow for less drag in the case that your engine stops working.

7 hours ago, Stewcumber said:

How do you propeller propelled plane designers design your propellers? Do you "stick a bunch of blades on and angle them a bit" or do you apply more science than that? I use 8x blades (usually I use short flaps), with an angle of attack of maybe 25 degrees. What do you use, dear reader?

There is a trade off between speed and surface, use the aerodynamic overlay to adjust the pitch of the blades, more blade area and pitch will slow down the rotor and you really need it to spin as fast as possible.

7 hours ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Just in case anyone here hasn't seen this genius work by @jfrouleau, I'm linking it here

It's a demo vehicle that uses claws to provide articulation for the rotor, making it quite maneuverable and stable high speed.

Note: I couldn't get the original picture to show up so I posted one of me flying one with my own modifications.

I think this could allow for dramatic performance improvements on stock helis.

Would it help with a swash plate?

Edited by selfish_meme

On 7/19/2017 at 10:47 PM, erasmusguy said:

Can you add a bearing to the wings? You could then use octos mounted to the main frame of the body to turn the wings as they rise and fall by them hitting the wing. I'll make an example later to illustrate. 

I think I get what you mean, but I came up with something different.  Check it out.

On 7/20/2017 at 3:00 AM, Gman_builder said:

Good luck

Thanks.  Here's the best I could come up with.  I'll consider this final.  I was gonna make it a plane but maybe some other day.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

rCbIQaB.jpg

The trailing edges of the wings do move further up and down compared to the fronts.  I feel good in that regard.  I want to think this would have worked in errordynamics.

Each of the tubes there surround RCS balls that go around in a circle.  The front balls (on the left) spin in a larger diameter circle than the rear ones.  The pivot points (RCS balls captured in 8 horizontal and 8 vertical solar panels, twisted) reverses the movement vertically AND horizontally, so up is down, and the larger diameter ball circle in front translates to more movement to the rear of the fin.  (I had it backwards initially until I figured out what was going on - lots of trial/error).  Alot of the frame parts are just for show; to make it look less floaty.

I put wheels on it, but forward motion was nearly zero :(   Mostly just alot of hopping.

I'll tell ya, flapping them just straight up and down is a lot easier, and a little less explodey.  I'm sure there are other ways to to this, but this is all I got.  I still think I like the first version better a few posts back.

Anyway, though you all would like to see :).  On to the next thing.

Edited by klond

8 hours ago, klond said:

I put wheels on it, but forward motion was nearly zero :(   Mostly just alot of hopping.

Do you think it created any thrust? 

I tried making a cam to provide the flapping motion but my skills arent up to much and I couldn't get it to hold together long enough to test anything :(

Ill try again on my days off.

7 hours ago, erasmusguy said:

Do you think it created any thrust? 

It really looks like it should, but all the bunny-hopping of the landing gear made detecting any bit of thrust impossible.

This looks REALLY cool! could you possibly create lift/thrust with bendy wings?.. I remember having one of those and the wings on it would tension when flapping down, but become loose and not provide lift when flapping up. I would imagine you could do something like this with multi-part wings

Hey everyone, wanted to drop by and show you the 1st chopper in my second generation of stock Turboshaft copters (at least for "Kermansky Helicopters"). First generation copters only use a single main rotor while my 2nd gen utilize two. Let me know what you guys think. This is my most stable VTOL craft I've come up with surprisingly, even with spool up times considered. Please abuse the hell out of her, she can take a beating and is very nimble! She's, The Kraken Killer.

FBYpuu3.jpgONrni0o.jpg

Spoiler

kj6YHpt.gif

In the above GIF, you can see a quick demo of maneuverability and fast transition between forward flight and a stable hover.

NML8sz0.gif

If for some reason you felt like flying the VTOL-capable Kraken Killer like a plane, you sure as hell can.

Economy mode would be all six engines not afterburning. It feels like flying a hybrid plane/helicopter that has a very low stall speed.

Edited by Krog34
formatting, spelling

Mod request:

A turbocharger system / part that allows small engines like Junos and Wheesleys to produce sea level power up to 20 - 25 thousand feet. Would be great for turboprop planes.

Edit: Could have a PSI boost to increase overall power output. 

Edited by Gman_builder

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Mod request:

A turbocharger system / part that allows small engines like Junos and Wheesleys to produce sea level power up to 20 - 25 thousand feet. Would be great for turboprop planes.

Sounds cool, but when you think about it, adding a turbocharger to a jet engine... does that even make sense? I mean... That's pretty much how jet engines work already...The exhaust drives turbines which power a compressor which gives air to the combustor which produces hot exhaust which powers the turbines and provides thrust and so on... 

35 minutes ago, EpicSpaceTroll139 said:

Sounds cool, but when you think about it, adding a turbocharger to a jet engine... does that even make sense? I mean... That's pretty much how jet engines work already...The exhaust drives turbines which power a compressor which gives air to the combustor which produces hot exhaust which powers the turbines and provides thrust and so on... 

Dude iz just a game. duddnt have to be realistic. Plus when i said it would be great for turboprops i meant cause turboprops mimic piston engine of the real world. The P-47 had a turbo-supercharger system that gave it all 2300 horsepower up to 36 thousand feet. The Cessna 182 Sky lane's turbocharger gives it all 350 horses up to 19 thousand.

Our engines are basically naturally aspirated. So a SSC Ultimate Aero (most powerful naturally aspirated car) would have similar power drop off at altitude as our engines do. That's no way to fly a plane amiright?

4 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

Mod request:

You could just modify the config file to extend the operable range of the engine?

1 hour ago, Gman_builder said:

Dude iz just a game. duddnt have to be realistic. Plus when i said it would be great for turboprops i meant cause turboprops mimic piston engine of the real world. The P-47 had a turbo-supercharger system that gave it all 2300 horsepower up to 36 thousand feet. The Cessna 182 Sky lane's turbocharger gives it all 350 horses up to 19 thousand.

Our engines are basically naturally aspirated. So a SSC Ultimate Aero (most powerful naturally aspirated car) would have similar power drop off at altitude as our engines do. That's no way to fly a plane amiright?

36,000ft is 10km, so the engines seem fairly good to me

8 hours ago, selfish_meme said:

You could just modify the config file to extend the operable range of the engine?

36,000ft is 10km, so the engines seem fairly good to me

What do you mean by good? Our engines lose power exponentially at increasing altitude. I haven't seen any turboprop aircraft that can reach that height.

2 hours ago, Gman_builder said:

What do you mean by good? Our engines lose power exponentially at increasing altitude. I haven't seen any turboprop aircraft that can reach that height.

I might want to try that.

Meanwhile, since I like modding as well, I wouldn't mind adapting a Juno to create just that. But knowing me, I would put in some technical element ... in other words: you'd need the whole system and it wouldn't be easy to use. Special resources, piping, intercooler, heat management, I'd even give it a different sound.

Still interested?

30 minutes ago, Azimech said:

I might want to try that.

Meanwhile, since I like modding as well, I wouldn't mind adapting a Juno to create just that. But knowing me, I would put in some technical element ... in other words: you'd need the whole system and it wouldn't be easy to use. Special resources, piping, intercooler, heat management, I'd even give it a different sound.

Still interested?

Nitrous? :wink:

11 minutes ago, selfish_meme said:

Nitrous? :wink:

Well ... there's a big difference between GM-1/MW50 and a supercharger/turbosupercharger. But I could build both all those  systems.

Edited by Azimech

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.