The K Prize challenge is to make the obvious craft, a spaceplane, and make it work. All those who succeed will be included on the roll of honour and get a free back stage pass to hang with Kay Kool and the Kerbettes after their next live performance at the Dog and Booster (where free beer will be available).
1. The craft may not lose any parts in flight, no decoupling allowed.
2. The craft must lift off horizontally, reach orbit (PE > 70,000m) and land intact ready for 'refuelling'.
3. All fuel tanks, wings (lift generators) and engine parts must be stock, for fairness.
Provisos to rule 1.
A. Payloads may decouple from the craft providing all payload tanks are full on decoupling and any thrust generators on the payload were not used prior to decoupling.
B. Docking is permitted providing no fuel is transferred (net per fuel type) into the K-Prize craft (it can be transferred out). Crew transfers are permitted providing they do not alter flight characteristics of the K-Prize craft.
1. Smallest ship (by weight). Minimalist record.
2. Largest ship (by weight). Maximalist record.
3. Highest orbit. Altitudinalist record.
4. Landing on KSC terrain. Pilot proficiency medal.
5. Landing on any KSC runway. Advanced pilot precision award.
6. Visiting other SOIs. Kosmokerbal Commendation.
7. Planetoid landings. Astrokerbal Distinction.
8. Payload to orbit. Utilitarial Commendation.
9. Payload to planet surface. Utilitarial Distinction.
Prefixes: Exploratory applies to planetoid missions and Expeditionary applies to planetary lander missions outside Kerbin's sphere of influence.
(Roll of Honour.)
Kuris Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with an unnamed small and agile spaceplane.
Maxed Rockets Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award 1st Class, Utilitarial Commendation (36T) with SPO-18A, SPO-28 & SPO-48.
pa1983 Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction to (36T to Duna) with Falcon X Jumbo Transport (video).
- Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction (10.98T to Laythe) & special lifetime awesome award...
+ Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award to island runway with Falcon X Jumbo Transport (video).
- Expeditionary Utilitarial Distinction to (43.26T to Duna) with Falcon X Jumbo Transport (video).
+ Maximalist Record (v0.19) with 210.81T take off weight.
- and again.
zekes with Belle I.
- Exploratory Kosmokerbal Commendation with Debulist.
admiralducksauce Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Hot Dog II.
Tarsus Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award 1st Class with X-4.
AmpsterMan Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Daedelus.
Rosarium Astrokerbal Distinction with Nettuno SSTO.
SirJodelstein Pilot Proficiency Medal with Space Dragonfly.
boolybooly Astrokerbal Distinction, Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Gnat.
SecondGuessing Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award, Kosmokerbal Commendation with Almalgest I 'Swift'.
kahlzun with SSTO Prototype III.
Plur303 Astrokerbal Distinction, Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Nuke SSTO MK III.
JebDynamics Utilitarial Commendation, Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Extended Range.
pinolallo 2x Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award 1x Pilot Proficiency Medal with 3KPrize (triple mission).
bsalis Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with VTOL SSTO.
BikeKayakSki Advanced Pilot Proficiency Award with Better Glider.
(Dodged the bouncers.)
Stevenator1, borrowed someone else's spaceship...
sss, the public inquiry blamed a computer malfunction...
keptin, wings fell off...
dogon11, denies ever using black market engines...
Baneblade, engines dropped off at an inconvenient moment...
Phoenix Aerospace, confessed to using counterfeit rockets...
Shazi, advertising situations vacant in 'KSP Piloting News' jobs section...
Suzaku, still refusing to pay airport tax...
a7i20ci7y, insists that using uncertified boosters is perfectly safe...
Hooligan Labs, acquitted on all charges...
Maxed Rockets, didnt want to come back anyway.
evilC, denied accusations of short measures saying "I found it like that."
Climberfx parts did not conform with KU common market standards policy.
pinolallo, confessed to using experimental technology.
To start the ball rolling (I previously posted) a little screeny of one I made earlier. This space plane is in orbit, but it has yet to land successfully... can you do better :p