Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A question about the Gimbal

Bottle Rocketeer

A question about the Gimbal

Hey everyone, I just had a quick question about the Gimbal, I\'ve figured out that the symbol on it that shows me my actual heading relative to the way my rocket is facing, but what do the two purple symbols and the other green one mean exactly?

Friendly Neighborhood Mod sal_vager's Avatar

Re: A question about the Gimbal

Hi Magmaros.

The two purple markers point towards and away from the launchpad, while the other green marker shows the direction directly opposite your direction of travel.

Hope this helps

an abandoned missile silo outside Bozeman, MT

Oh, and gimbal is something else. You\'re thinking of the nav ball (a.k.a. 'blob').

Some engines have gimballed nozzles, that gimbal (change angle) to help control the craft.
    Why does the VCR keep flashing 1202 and 1201?

Junior Rocket Scientist

Gimbal is actually (kind of) the correct name for the thing we call 'nav ball', at least in the Apollo program. If you go watch Apollo 13 closely you notice the crew will yell 'gimbal lock!' from time to time. This happens when two of the three pivot axes line up causing the gimbal to lose the ability to track one degree of freedom.

Although to be totally correct, a gimbal is a device that drives the nav ball, that ball\'s correct name is 'Flight Director/Atitude Indicator'. The Apollo crews call it the 8-Ball.

Friendly Neighborhood Mod sal_vager's Avatar

The Gimbals were and are the parts that allowed a gyroscope remain stationary as the craft around it rotates, more info here.

Senior Rocket Scientist

I\'m not sure why everyone thinks the pro and retro indicators are green... They\'re clearly yellow. In addition, the orange parts of the navball is often mistaken for brown.
    Project Mercury
    ---------------
    David Icke = Complete idiot.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer

Off-Topic: I wish that the retrograde indicator color was not identical to the prograde one. Sometimes, despite the inscribed cross, I accidentally tilt my ships in the wrong direction, especially when it hovers over one of the white lines. Differentiating is somewhat hard.

Senior Rocket Scientist

I completely agree. I personally want a different color between the two also.
    Project Mercury
    ---------------
    David Icke = Complete idiot.

Junior Rocket Scientist

I\'m certain that the prograde circle is yellow and the retrograde circle is green. I find them to be quite different colors

Blog Entries

That\'s because they are different colours. If they look the same to you, there\'s something wrong with your monitor. Try adjusting the colour temperature, or get a program that will do it automatically so your eyes don\'t get burned out from a 9500K monitor at midnight. I am, of course, speaking of f.lux (Google it).

The prograde should be yellow, and the retrograde green. The colour difference is easily seen on my monitor, so if it doesn\'t show for you, there\'s something strange going on. Check you don\'t have any strange video card settings (unnecessarily high brightness/gamma settings, etc)