Thread: Big Parachute Problem

Rocketry Enthusiast Deusoverkill's Avatar

Big Parachute Problem

Hello there!
    well i will try my best to describe the problem. here it goes:

pixeled cause i dont want to spoil the surprise 8)

i buit a new parachute, but the problem is that is rotated 90 deg in the x axis, i dont know why.
    im exporting in obj format an everything else seems to be right.

facts: (correct me if im wrong please):

1)parachute deployment is a mater of scaling in all axises: first y(up) an then XZ when inflates.

2)the scale of the object when im exporting it is 0.01 cause i work in centimeters; but i think thats not the problem cause in game looks right

3)im using max, and my mesh names are node_collider(collision mesh), base, cap, canopy(the parachute), just as the stock one from game

4)this objects are at 0.0.0 coordinates each, and i flip z-y when exporting.

5)the parachute as it is, behaves itself as it where off center, plus to the rotated thing. (apears to be a thing of 'how the program gets the mesh')

6) the most weird thing is that the base,cap,and node_collider, all are well positioned (see the first caption); the only one rotated is the canopy(the parachute mesh).

maybe its a problem of the obj format, cause every time i try to export it as a .DAE(collada) the part doesnt work in the parts lab, and the game of course hangs at loading screen.

Soo please any ideas?
    is better to export as .DAE?

Thanks in advance.

Re: Big Parachute Problem

I am by far an expert on this stuff, but I noticed when exporting from Max to DAE it takes into account the rotation of the local pivots. So if you rotate something you should reset your pivots.

Hope this helps.

I've had this problem too with the custom parachutes (see this thread for more), and I've tried mucking about with rotation origins and it just doesn't want to work - the parachute constantly deployed beneath the capsule upside-down.

I even flipped the mesh so it was in the position it keeps deploying (thinking it might mirror), that didn't work either.

esd: yeah i did tried everything you said, twisting, turning, and messing with the parachute pivots and meshes to obtain an aproximation to a good deployment and nothing worked, thanks for the info thou.

Ordosis: i just downloaded some export plugs to see if i can do something about the pivots and the .DAE thing, otherwise this parachute is gonna land stright to the garbage can, unless somone like HarvesteR give us 'THE TRICK' about the parachute modding.

anyways, thanks for your comments i will keep trying. :'(

So, here is a pic of the parachute, just to make things interesting again, if someone knows how the parachutes work ingame and how to mod/export em from max please tell us. i can upload the model and texture for you to try an export. if someone wants of course please pm me, to give ya a link.
    Cheers!

If you provide the files I'm sure someone could take a look at them... (I would, but not sure if it would be of any help )

Spherical Scientist NovaSilisko's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Deusoverkill View Post
    So, here is a pic of the parachute, just to make things interesting again, if someone knows how the parachutes work ingame and how to mod/export em from max please tell us. i can upload the model and texture for you to try an export. if someone wants of course please pm me, to give ya a link.
    Cheers!

I'll do it, or at least try! I've made parachutes before.

Just promise you won't overshadow me with your godlike modeling skills.

Senior Rocket Scientist

Quote Originally Posted by Deusoverkill View Post
    Cheers!

This is a beast of a parachute, and as soon as it functions, I want it. Immediately.
    Kerbals and bits, anyone? -SynMonger

Rocketry Enthusiast

That thing is beautiful.