First things first: Big thanks for RPGprayers "Position/Navigation Lights" AddOn, from which the Aviation Lights originated.
Additional credits go to Deadweasel, Why485, GROOV3ST3R, JDP and J.Random for their great help with this addon.
I've implemented two types of standard aviation lights:
Navigationlights (often called Positionlights) are a safety feature on every plane bigger than an ultra-light. They indicate the orientation of the plane for other air traffic, so they know in which direction you're going. For that, the international standard of a red light on the left wingtip, a green one on the right and a white on the tail was set.
Example for the correct use in KSP:
But, of course, this is KSP. You can just put them on where it looks cool.
Warninglights (More commonly reffered to as "Strobe&Beacon") are flashing lights to enhance detection range in bad weather and to warn other air traffic and ground personnel. Beacons are mostly mounted on tip of the vertical tail on smaller planes, or in the middle of the fuselage (top and/or bottom). They're red, bright and flashing to indicate that parts of the airplane (engines) or the airplanes itself are moving or about to be moved.
Strobes are very bright, white, fast blinking lights which are mounted on the wingtips (next to the red/green navlights) and sometimes on the tail (next to the white navlight) on larger planes. They're in fact so bright, that they remain off until the pilot lines up on the runway, so the ground personnel won't get blinded if they stand right next to it.
Due to popular request, I now also included the amber warning light by Deadweasel, which I just adapted to the new file system and values.
Screenshot with all lights in the pack (click to enlarge):
But, as I said before: Who cares if you just want to built a disco on your deep-space-vessel?
AAAaaand it's done (Well, at least on the ground):
katateochi's Night Club
AAAaaand then he topped it:
katateochi's Club on the Mun
Another great example on Kerbin:
The Aviation Lights Addon is very easy to use. Just download the .zip (link below), and extract it to your main KSP Folder. Every file should go to the appropriate place!
All lights can be found in the 'Utility' section ingame. Just put them on, set Action Groups, and you're good to go.
There are 5 Modes: OFF (standard), FLASH, DOUBLE FLASH and INT (Interval times are measured on those of real airplanes, but can be altered in the .cfgs) and ON.
The Navigationlights come in four different colours: white, blue, red, green. To further differentiate them they also have light grey casings.
The three types of Warninglights include an amber and a red beacon as well as a white strobe, which have dark grey casings and are very bright.
KSP VERSION: 1.0 (0.90, 0.25 should also work)
16DEC14 - Version 3.7 (0.90 Port and fix)
- minimum/maximum_drag values fixed (no more errors, finally)
03MAY14 - Version 3.6 (Pause Bug fix)
- Lights retain their state when the game is paused/unpaused
18OCT13 - Version 3.5 (Double Flash and tech tree integration)
- Implemented a DOUBLE FLASH mode
- Tech tree integration
17SEP13 - Version 3.4 (Fixes and amber light)
- Amber warning beacon by Deadweasel ported to this version
- Halved the energy consumption, lights now consume 0.3 e/min
- Fixed a scaling mistake, lights are now all the same size and ~20% smaller
- Fixed the mass of the lights, new mass is 0.001 (1kg instead of 10kg)
20JUN13 - Version 3.3 (DeadlyReentry compatibility)
- Reduced memory usage ~7% by removing redundant models
- Raised impact_resistance from 8 to 20
- Wrong format for the Drag values in the .cfgs corrected
29MAY13 - Version 3.2 (Bugfix release)
- Interval/Flash timer failed due to overflow if UniversalTime gets too big
23MAY13 - Version 3.1 (0.20 compatibility patch)
- New 3D Model (by JDP)
- Removed old, incompatible 3D Model
- Removed print() action in the OnUpdate method, plugin no longer spams text
20MAY13 - Version 3.0
- Full Action Groups support
- Energy requirement and consumption (adjustable in .cfg)
- Ingame right-click-context menu for each light
- Plugin rewritten from Part class to PartModule class
- Removed staging icons
- Removed all staging dependencies (they work all the time now)
- Adjusted interval timers to be more realistic
- Code cleaned up
- Interval timers are now dependent on timewarp
- Switching modes works 100% of the time now
- Modes now stay persistent even if the craft is not focused
- Modes are now handled per light (different modes on the same craft possible)
14MAY13 - Version 2.0
- New FLASH mode
- Forum catastophe wiped it out until here -
Deadweasel's DeadSkins for Aviation Lights
*: The author of this mod can not be held responsible for problems occuring due to the use of third party texture packs.
This plugin contains code from RPGprayers "Position/Navigation Lights". Used with permission.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 4.0 International License.