The Eve Project
So, we all know of these new planets coming with the next update, right? Plenty of new things to shoot rockets at.
Well, I've decided on planning for one in particular. Eve.
[Spoiler: The Kerbol System]
And even better, we're going to make a design that is easy to fly
, and allows you to return to Kerbin
after the trip.
This is what we've got to work with so far:
Lifting body: DESIGN NEEDED: There have been many designs, but accidental exploitation of fuel bugs has made this stage uncertain. Right now we have this design (thanks r_rolo1!), but it seems to be exploiting a fuel glitch (unintentionally) so we have to start yet again.
Orbital transfer: DESIGN NEEDED: Same issues as with the first stage. The X6 does pretty dang good on going out to space actually, but needs further testing. I only took it for a joyride once, and burned straight up instead of doing the sensible thing.
De-orbit/Landing burn: DESIGN NEEDED: Same issues as with the first stage.
Lander/Return lifting body: PROTOTYPES IN DEVELOPMENT: The X3 and X5 have performed well in my tests, but probably don't fit the bill. what-the claims this design will return to orbit from Eve.
Return orbital transfer: DESIGN NEEDED: So far, the idea is to have a 3-Kerbal capsule launch with 2 Kerbals aboard and rendezvous with the lander, then bring all crew back. It should be easy to design a sister-ship once the first one has been designed.
Return de-orbit/Landing: UNKNOWN: This step should be fairly simple, only one craft needs to be return-capable.
Prototype Rockets:(Listed in order of most successful tests.)
- The Eve 1, designed by r_rolo1 (More info!) (Detailed flight instructions!) - So far this design seems to be closest to what will be needed in the end, but due to accidental fuel glitch use, we are not sure.
- The X5, designed by Guard13007 - A small lander that works as expected in tests (not sure how well it will work with Eve's higher gravity and drag yet though). Probably a good step, but not final, not at all.
- The Crossbow, designed by ltpeanuts - It can take off, orbit, land, take off and orbit again. Has some unique design aspects to learn from and could be the upper stages of the final design (or close), but as with everything on here, not finished. (I question the fuel use bug on this one, the designer has stated he used as low as 5% throttle during flight...)
- The X6, designed by Guard13007 - An untested vehicle launch design for the X5. Probably don't work.
- The X2, designed by Guard13007 - A prototype launch vehicle with the X1 on top. Needs testing to see how far you can get with it. (My computer is not powerful enough to properly test this design.)
- The X3, designed by Guard13007 - An improved X1 with more fuel and a better landing system. Currently can land on Kerbin and return to orbit.
- The X1, designed by Guard13007 - A prototype lander and return rocket (at least return to orbit), can easily get into low Kerbin orbit with two fuel tanks left, and has a parachute, will return from orbit safely.
(Note that downloads to individual designs are linked to by the post about that design as well.)
Eve Information/Testing Info