Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: [Stock 0.16] The Eve Project =Guard13007 Industries=

[Stock 0.16] The Eve Project =Guard13007 Industries=

The Eve Project
    =Guard13007 Industries=

So, we all know of these new planets coming with the next update, right? Plenty of new things to shoot rockets at.
    Well, I've decided on planning for one in particular. Eve.
    [Spoiler: The Kerbol System] [Spoiler: Eve] And even better, we're going to make a design that is easy to fly, and allows you to return to Kerbin after the trip.
    This is what we've got to work with so far:

Project Status:

Lifting body: DESIGN NEEDED: There have been many designs, but accidental exploitation of fuel bugs has made this stage uncertain. Right now we have this design (thanks r_rolo1!), but it seems to be exploiting a fuel glitch (unintentionally) so we have to start yet again.
    Orbital transfer: DESIGN NEEDED: Same issues as with the first stage. The X6 does pretty dang good on going out to space actually, but needs further testing. I only took it for a joyride once, and burned straight up instead of doing the sensible thing.
    De-orbit/Landing burn: DESIGN NEEDED: Same issues as with the first stage.
    Lander/Return lifting body: PROTOTYPES IN DEVELOPMENT: The X3 and X5 have performed well in my tests, but probably don't fit the bill. what-the claims this design will return to orbit from Eve.
    Return orbital transfer: DESIGN NEEDED: So far, the idea is to have a 3-Kerbal capsule launch with 2 Kerbals aboard and rendezvous with the lander, then bring all crew back. It should be easy to design a sister-ship once the first one has been designed.
    Return de-orbit/Landing: UNKNOWN: This step should be fairly simple, only one craft needs to be return-capable.

Prototype Rockets:
    (Listed in order of most successful tests.)
    • The Eve 1, designed by r_rolo1 (More info!) (Detailed flight instructions!) - So far this design seems to be closest to what will be needed in the end, but due to accidental fuel glitch use, we are not sure.
    • The X5, designed by Guard13007 - A small lander that works as expected in tests (not sure how well it will work with Eve's higher gravity and drag yet though). Probably a good step, but not final, not at all.
    • The Crossbow, designed by ltpeanuts - It can take off, orbit, land, take off and orbit again. Has some unique design aspects to learn from and could be the upper stages of the final design (or close), but as with everything on here, not finished. (I question the fuel use bug on this one, the designer has stated he used as low as 5% throttle during flight...)
    • The X6, designed by Guard13007 - An untested vehicle launch design for the X5. Probably don't work.
    • The X2, designed by Guard13007 - A prototype launch vehicle with the X1 on top. Needs testing to see how far you can get with it. (My computer is not powerful enough to properly test this design.)
    • The X3, designed by Guard13007 - An improved X1 with more fuel and a better landing system. Currently can land on Kerbin and return to orbit.
    • The X1, designed by Guard13007 - A prototype lander and return rocket (at least return to orbit), can easily get into low Kerbin orbit with two fuel tanks left, and has a parachute, will return from orbit safely.

Downloads:
    (Note that downloads to individual designs are linked to by the post about that design as well.)

Eve Information/Testing Info
    Last edited by Guard13007; 27th August 2012 at 21:25.
    YouTube|Guardian Reviews|my Anarchist Minecraft server|my StarMade server|I also draw stuff
    Also I'm gonna pretend to be elitist and say I'm from 0.14.4 hah!

The X1

This is the first prototype, a rocket designed to touchdown on and return from another planet. I figure that a rocket that can get into low Kerbin orbit with two fuel tanks left can theoretically finish a landing and return to orbit from a small planet (even if that planet has a thicker atmosphere, oops, I forgot about that when choosing Eve as a destination).

The idea is to have a companion vessel that does not land, and instead carries plenty of fuel and an extra seat to return the pilot of the lander. The X1 can meet with this vessel in orbit above Eve, and is discarded.

Takeoff instructions for test flights on Kerbin:
    1. Full throttle and SAS on.
    2. Gravity turn at 500 m/s.
    3. When Apoapsis reaches 80 km, cut throttle.
    4. At 10 seconds from Apoapsis, burn again, finish orbital maneuvers as you want.

Download it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?mcmc8jcbj9kuub7
    Last edited by Guard13007; 20th August 2012 at 03:12.
    YouTube|Guardian Reviews|my Anarchist Minecraft server|my StarMade server|I also draw stuff

The X2

Picture removed, something glitched and it ended up being the wrong picture.
    Also, it turns out there is no picture. I'll have to get one. If I remember.
    The X2, as I have said many times, probably won't work out anyhow.

A prototype design to test capabilities of the current tanks and engines. If the design actually works, here's what needs to happen (and no, I don't expect this design to actually work and be the final design, that'd be far too easy):

Stage 3-4: Get into Kerbin orbit.
    Stage 4-5: Get into orbit of Kerbol, to Eve, and de-orbit.
    Stage 5: Get close to the surface (possibly parachutes are needed), detach just before touchdown.
    Stage 6-7: Get into orbit (stages 6-8 are the X1).
    Stage 8 is currently a parachute, this may be removed if a companion vessel is used for return trips.

Unfortunately, because my computer isn't powerful enough, I cannot test the X2 effectively. It lags so much that my attempts to make minor corrections are over-corrections and I can't recover. TEST PILOTS NEEDED.

Download it from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?c8kkxpfvhct71t1
    Last edited by Guard13007; 21st August 2012 at 22:12.

Blog Entries
    Rockets look good but do they account for Eve's higher gravity (I think it was 110% of Kerbin's) and the denser atmosphere (500% of Kerbin's)? Add up all the mass and drag of the eve orbitor and add dead weight to account for differences.
    [Spoiler: example]

Quote Originally Posted by what-the View Post
    Rockets look good but do they account for Eve's higher gravity (I think it was 110% of Kerbin's) and the denser atmosphere (500% of Kerbin's)? Add up all the mass and drag of the eve orbitor and add dead weight to account for differences.
    I knew it had a denser atmosphere, but I thought it was something like 200-300% and I thought it had a lower gravity (for some reason I was thinking of it like Mars /derp moment). And now that I hear it's actually overall worse than getting off Kerbin, well, time to scale-up! But still, I either need to design smaller but still capable rockets and/or get others who can test the larger designs.

Something else I would like to point out, your example requires skill and a non-laggy computer to fly, I have a little skill (not much) but a somewhat laggy computer, and I also want my designs to just be easy-to-fly no matter, and more fuel makes it easier (because you can make more mistakes), so I will probably continue to make over-sized rockets for what is actually required.

Sorry if my wording is bad/I am saying something stupid, it is 1 am and I need sleep.

The X3

An improved X1 re-designed for testing the landing and return to orbit stages. It uses 18 parachutes and 1/3 throttle (ending up using half a tank of fuel) to make a safe touchdown on Kerbin. Once it has landed, you can takeoff into a circular 100 km orbit with 3 tanks of fuel left (that's 2 big tanks and 1 half-size tank).

The first three stages (SRBs, outer tanks, inner tank) are to get the test vehicle into the air to for landing. The way I have tested this design is to bring it up to 5 km, drop the 2nd/3rd stage, and burn a little to get above the discarded parts. Now what I think for an Eve landing, we don't need as many parachutes or as much fuel (I'm hoping the very thick atmosphere helps us out with a nice landing).

Landing on Kerbin with the X3 lander stage:
    1. Deploy chutes as soon as possible. Deploy landing gear.
    2. At 2 km up, get throttle up to 1/3 and hold it there. (Be exact! I don't know the effects of being a little off.)
    3. At touchdown, cut engines.

[Spoiler: An example landing/the first landing]
    After this landing has been carried out, the remaining fuel can takeoff and get into a 100 km circular orbit, with enough fuel to then completely stop and fall straight down, with a small tank left even after that. I just love this, I have to repeat it. xD

Takeoff instructions:
    1. Full throttle and SAS on.
    2. Gravity turn at 500 m/s.
    3. Cut engines when Apoapsis is at 100 km.
    4. At 20 seconds from Apoapsis, full throttle.
    5. And finish your orbit to your own judgement.

Download from here: http://www.mediafire.com/?jzs8o0u21phcgrn

Capsule Communicator Giggleplex777's Avatar
    The United Provinces (and Territories) of Canadia
    If you don't care about returning to kerbin, you can make a much smaller rocket than the ones you have here. All you need to do is make a normal sized mun lander and add parachutes to it. The launch vehicle probably only needs an extra fuel tank or two reach escape velocity for an eve transfer orbit using the lander to do some adjustments since you can save some fuel with parachutes. After that things should be pretty straight forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Giggleplex777 View Post
    If you don't care about returning to kerbin, you can make a much smaller rocket than the ones you have here. All you need to do is make a normal sized mun lander and add parachutes to it. The launch vehicle probably only needs an extra fuel tank or two reach escape velocity for an eve transfer orbit using the lander to do some adjustments since you can save some fuel with parachutes. After that things should be pretty straight forward.
    If you'd bothered to read, you would've noticed the whole point of this endeavor is to design a rocket that can get you there and back. "And back."

I am aware than I am designing things bigger than they need to be, and am trying to scale-back a bit, but the whole point, like I said, is to make it back when we're done.

Your X3 would probably win if you used the big parachutes on top of the lateral tanks ...

And may I suggest aerospikes instead of the LVs ? ;) They have by far the best thrust/weight ratio and they ( still (?) ) do not have reduced performance in thick atmospheres, making them the natural engines for a lander stage in a thick atmosphere planet , like Kerbin nowadays and also Eve in .17

Capsule Communicator Giggleplex777's Avatar
    The United Provinces (and Territories) of Canadia
    Sorry, I didn't read the whole thing.