Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how to get to the mun

Blog Entries

how to get to the mun

hi i got problems getting to the mun i sometimes miss it or crash on it.one time i sucssfuly orbit the moon,but crash and exploded.second,I can't get a pefect transfer orbit.I try every thing and fail.Can anybody help me.

Don't worry about getting it perfect, as long as you're close enough to get within the mun's influence you can always make a small burn to avoid being slingshot back out when you get there.

Generally the advice is to get into an orbit around kerbin once in space point at the 90° marker on the horixon and burn until map view shows your periapsis at <70k) and then wait until munrise (i.e. the mun pops over the horizon ahead of you). Burn until map view shows your apoapsis matches the moon's orbit of 11,400km and then wait until you get close to the moon and the map view shows your trajectory change to one into/around the moon.

At that point don't worry about orbiting the moon, just make sure you're headed towards the surface rather than around and back out. Then point your rocket away from the moon and line it up with the green marker and then it's down to your specific rocket as to how long you need to burn for to stop yourself in time.
    Last edited by EndlessWaves; 28th August 2012 at 12:19.

Spacecraft Engineer
    That pretty much covers it. If possible, you want to try for a dayside landing, and having shadows on. This will make judging distance easier. It's not a huge problem if you end up landing on the night side, it just means you have to be more careful with your landing because you altitude on the altimeter is from above the lowest point on Mun, not above ground level.
    "Earth is the cradle of humanity but mankind will not be in the cradle forever."
    -Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky

On a one man, never ending Crusade against std_logic_unsigned, std_logic_signed, and std_logic_arith.

Blog Entries
    can any me rocket design i made one but,can't work.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Try not to make your rockets too big. One stage to get out of the thick atmosphere, the second stage to put you into orbit, and then transfer you to the Mun. The last stage to land and come home.

Spacecraft Engineer
    Even if I had access to my .craft files (wrong computer), I'd be reluctant to just hand you one of my designs, as I believe a lot of the fun of the game is learning from your failures. However, if you posted a .craft file or at minimum a few screenshots of your design, we'd be more than happy to help you modify and improve your current design.
    "Earth is the cradle of humanity but mankind will not be in the cradle forever."
    -Konstantin E. Tsiolkovsky

On a one man, never ending Crusade against std_logic_unsigned, std_logic_signed, and std_logic_arith.

The middle part of the place with all the states.
    There is a lot of rocket designs in the Spacecraft Exchange http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...craft-Exchange
    Here is one I made: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...y-stock-rocket
    You need the truss pack and mechjeb though. If you want a completely stock ship check out one of these: http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...CK-Munitaur-II
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/...l=1#post246529

However, it is funnest if you just use these designs as a basis or for ideas to make your own. There is nothing quite like using your own design to get to the Mun and back.

And like Tauge said above, you should post screenshots of your current designs. Then we could probably help out.
    Last edited by Nori; 28th August 2012 at 13:35.

Blog Entries
    Wait a minute. How did you sucessfully orbit the mun and then crash and explode? An orbit should keep you constantly above ground.
    ORIGINAL JOIN DATE: JANUARY 17TH, 2012

You cannot ban an idea.
    -------------------------------
    Began playing KSP in December of 2011. My old username was VincentMcConnell

Blog Entries
    it was too late to the landing burn so speed was so high i crashed

Capsule Communicator
    Try to achieve a stable 50km orbit around the Mun before landing. If you start your landing from an orbit that is too low, you might not have enough time to brake.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
    Space is big. You just won't believe how vastly, hugely, mind-bogglingly big it is. I mean, you may think it's a long way down the road to the chemist's, but that's just peanuts to space.