Page 1 of 386 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.23.5] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.13.1, 4/11/14

[0.23.5] Ferram Aerospace Research: v0.13.1, 4/11/14

Update to version 0.13.1!

Scott Manley's original video:

Scott Manley building a spaceplane and explaining a lot of the details:

Features include:

Aerodynamics Properly Based on Shape: Long, thin shapes have less drag than wide, flat shapes; smooth changes in body width results in lower drag. Tall rockets good; pancake rockets bad.

Wing Interactive Effects: Detects wing location relative to other parts and adjusts lift in a realistic fashion (wing pieces at wingtip make less lift and more drag than ones at wing root, leading edge pieces make more lift and more drag than mid-chord wing pieces).

Stall: Wings above a certain angle of attack get a sudden reduction in lift and a large increase in drag. Can cause plane crashes.*

Mach Effects: Lift coefficient increases for a given angle of attack as Mach number increases, drag coefficient increases to a peak at Mach 1 and then drops off, as in real life. Planes at high Mach numbers may suffer minor structural failures during control actuation.**

Body lift: You don't need wings to make something fly. You just need to go fast enough. Yes, a wingless cylinder can fly, you just need to get it up to some serious speed to do it. Can be helpful (or harmful) depending on where your plane / rocket's center of mass is.

*Not my fault if you put it into a flat spin.
    **AKA disintegration.

So you know what's going on, the FAR Flight Systems module is added to cockpits to print out Mach number, atmospheric density, and provide additional simple stability augmentation systems.

Part.cfg changes powered by sarbian & ialdabaoth's ModuleManager plugin.

Toolbar powered by blizzy78's Toolbar plugin.

Installation:
    Copy the GameData and Ships folders into the KSP root directory and merge them with the existing GameData and Ships folders.

Make sure that you copy over everything in the GameData folder. Serious issues will occur unless this is done.

Recent Changelog:
    Code:
    0.13.1v------------------------------------  
    Features:  
    License change to GPL v3.  
    Moved source to Github.  All glory to the Octocat!  
    Tweak to control surface function to prevent weird roll coupling with yaw / pitch inputs for 3-way symmetry  

BugFixes:  
    Fixed issue involving improperly defined engine fairings causing FAR to "crash" inside the game  
    Fixed issue where landing gear could have different drag properties depending on the part they were attached to  
    Fixed issue where EAS and Mach would not display on the navball  

0.13v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Full 0.23.5 compatibility
    Greater limits on control surface deflections
    Animations will cause part aerodynamics to be recalculated
    Implemented special asteroid-handling function
    Official release of all v0.13x1 features
    Updated to Toolbar v1.7.1

0.13x1v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Integrated numerous code optimizations and fixes from a.g.
    Rearward-facing tapered parts will produce less drag at hypersonic speeds, as they should; this may affect the stability of some designs
    Implemented more exact tapering drag based on cones rather than parabolas
    Wing sweep is better accounted for in multi-part assemblies
    Updated to Toolbar v1.7.0

Tweaks:
    Reduction in skin friction drag to more proper levels
    Some changes to control surfaces to make them play better with SAS

Bugfixes:
    Fixed a typo in the config that would allow turboramjets to accelerate without limit

0.12.5.2v------------------------------------
    Bugfixes:
    Removed all code that could possibly result in very large surface areas on load for vehicles not near the floating origin

0.12.5.1v------------------------------------
    Bugfixes:
    Fixed a serious issue where crafts loaded in space would not calculate their surface areas properly

0.12.5v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Updated to Toolbar v1.4.0
    Reduced the severity of the forward aerodynamic center shift in the transonic regime; forward msot location is at .2 chord, as opposed to 0.025 chord (0 is leading edge)
    Moved aerodynamic center of supersonic wings backwards; currently 0.4 chord, was 0.35 chord
    Improved geometry detection for payload fairings, improving the drag simulation on them.
    Settings for the FAR control systems are now saved in the config.xml

Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue where the flap and wing interaction code would cause wings to not apply any forces if the lift coefficient was equal to zero
    Fixed a serious issue where the flap code could cause very large forces to be applied at very low angles of attack
    Fixed an issue where the CoL was not placed properly in the editor and where the editor analysis tab was inaccurate in its data.
    Second attempt at fixing severe supersonic roll twitching

0.12.4v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Updated to Toolbar v1.3.0 and Module Manager 1.5.6
    Increases in body lift; added a new craft, the FAR Ugly Duckling to demonstrate
    Some tweaks to control surface tweakables
    Control surfaces now have a default time constant of 0.25s

Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue that would cause the static analysis panel of the editor GUI to not display accurate pitching moment data
    Fixed an issue that would cause the CoL indicator to be incorrect
    Fixed an issue where sporadic roll twitches would occur in supersonic flight
    Fixed an issue where flaps and spoilers would be limited to control surface deflections rather than the set deflections
    Fixed an issue where control surface interactions with wings were inaccurate, thanks a.g.

0.12.3v------------------------------------
    Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue where intakes could produce massive amounts of negative drag, causing bad times for all
    Fixed an issue where nullreferenceexceptions would be thrown in the editor when dealing with fairings
    Fixed a conversion error in the Flight Data GUI
    Fixed an issue involving flaps not having the proper scaling
    Fixed an issue where flaps deflected in the editor would cause weird things to happen when they were cloned

0.12.2v------------------------------------
    Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue where the CoL was shifted in the wrong direction by sweep

0.12.1v------------------------------------
    Bugfixes:
    Fixed a gamebreaking issue where parts would initially feel sea-level drag after being decoupled.

0.12v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Update to work with KSP 0.23!
    Control surface attribution handled through tweakables
    Control surfaces can now act as flaps & control surfaces OR as spoilers & control surfaces
    Refactored flap code to be simpler and more deterministic
    Updated supersonic stall characteristics to be less severe

First implementation of atmospheric composition!
        --Density (used for aero calculations) is now a function of pressure, temperature and gas properties, not just an upscaling of pressure
        --Speed of sound is dependent on gas properties, with heavier gases resulting in lower speeds of sound
        --Kerbin is given an atmospphere equivalent to Earth's: ~21% O2, ~78% N2, ~1% Ar
        --Duna and Eve are given atmospheres similiar to Mars and Venus: ~95% CO2, ~5% N2
        --Jool is given an atmosphere equivalent to a gas giant: ~90% H2, 10% He; it's temperature curve is also shifted to create more appropriate temperatures
        --Laythe is given an oxygenated atmosphere with volcanic components: ~21% 02, ~9% N2, ~35% CO2, ~35% SO2
        --Any additional bodies can be modified in the config.xml; properties default to Earth atmosphere

Payload fairing titles can be specified in the config.xml
    Cargo fairing titles can be specified in the config.xml
    Control surface time constant has been reduced to 0.05s to reduce delay and SAS-induced wobbles; can be modified in the config.xml

GUI now integrated with blizzy78's Toolbar plugin, redistributed per the license

Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue where body potential lift was calculated incorrectly, allowing things to fly easily when they should not have

0.11v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Cylinder crossflow drag is now more accurately modeled; cylinders make less drag when the crossflow Mach number is below the critical Mach number (M = 0.4)
    More updates and fixes to Editor GUI and Center of Lift indicator
    Reduced stability of command pods and reentering objects to more reasonable levels; lifting reentries are now easier to manage, but sane mass distributions are required for proper stability
    Optimizations in all constantly-running code and some reductions in memory usage

Update to use ModuleManager 1.5, by sarbian
    Some attach node corrections for stock parts that had incorrect attach sizes, causing poor drag modeling

Ability to modify some aerodynamic properties in the config.xml, including:
        --Area Factor: a multiplier to increase or decrease aerodynamic forces; 1 by default
        --Attach Node Diameter Factor: how many meters in diameter an attach node size applies to; 1.25 by default
        --Incompressible Rear Attach Drag: the drag coefficient of a rear-facing attach node at Mach 0
        --Sonic Additional Rear Attach Drag: additional drag above incompressible at Mach 1

Includes set up for Kerbal Updater

BugFixes:
    Fixed an issue where cargo bays that started closed would not properly shield parts unless it was opened, then closed

0.10v------------------------------------
    Features:
    Many, many updates and fixes to the Editor GUI and Center of Lift indicator, courtesy of a.g., including, but not limited to:
        --CoL indicator offset error fixed
        --Many more options in the static analysis window
        --Moment coefficient zero crossings are marked
        --Fixes to the stability derivative calculations

Code refactoring by sarbian for future interfacing with MechJeb
    Hypersonic body lift is now more properly modeled; lifting reentries with command pods can now be properly done

Bugfixes:
    Fixed an issue where the Editor GUI could end up inaccessible due to the minimize button being hidden by stock GUI elements
    FAQ - Common Questions and Solutions to Common Problems

Does this mod make nosecones and other aerodynamic parts behave realistically?

Yes. Nosecones and such are necessary to make your plane or rocket fly at a decent speed in atmosphere; unaerodynamic shapes will suffer absurdly high drag or stability issues.

I tried to fly my standard gravity turn into orbit and my rocket flipped out. What happened? Is this realistic?
    The standard KSP "gravity turn" is pretty much the worst way to fly a rocket with FAR installed. The 10km vertical climb followed by a 45-degree pitch over maneuver (note: this is not a gravity turn) causes the rocket to become unstable because it can cause the drag and lift of the upper sections of the rocket to overpower whatever stabilizing elements might be at the bottom of the rocket; this can also happen in real life, but normally results in the rocket coming apart due to large aerodynamic forces. Do a proper gravity turn; start it low in the atmosphere and keep aiming prograde through the atmosphere. This should allow you to control your rocket even with the most finicky of designs.

Does this mod fix the "infiniglide" bug with stock control surfaces?
    Yep! Deflecting control surfaces with FAR will increase the drag of your vehicle, not speed it up. Magic turbines, flapping probes, and other infinite-motion vehicles are not possible with FAR installed.

Does this plugin work properly with other mods / part packs?
    Sure; FAR figures out what the properties of the part should be based on its dimensions and some basic aerodynamic assumptions. If you use a mod and suspect that it causes unrealistic behavior, search the thread to see if it has been brought up / addressed by the latest release; if it hasn't, feel free to bring it to my attention. The only exception is with wing parts, which are more complicated and currently must have their properties specified manually.

Does this plugin make payload fairings and cargo bays work properly?
    It is set up to identify parts labelled "fairing" or "cargo bay" and apply the proper effects to them and the other parts the affect. Since all of these parts are 3rd party mods, incompatibilities may occur; if you find an issue like this, bringing it to my attention along with the craft file suffering the problem can go a long way to fix it.

I can't seem to turn off the Flight Assistance Systems... what's going on?
    In the Flight Assistance GUI every button that is pressed activates a control system; when none are pushed down no control systems are active. I suspect that you've actually created a poorly designed craft and that you're attributing aerodynamic forces that you're not used to dealing with to non-existent control inputs.

Do I need ModuleManager?
    Yes; it is used to properly apply aerodynamic properties to stock wing parts and re-balance the stock jet engines to have more reasonable performance. If you do not copy it over FAR will not function properly.

Do I need 000_Toolbar?
    Yes; that's how FAR adds the nice button for its GUIs now. Due to a hard dependency in the code, if you don't install this folder FAR won't load.

I'm using MechJeb and it's telling me that the terminal velocity of my vehicle is *insert huge number here* / Why is MechJeb saying that there is no drag force on my rocket?
    MechJeb does drag estimates based off of the old stock drag model, which FAR zeroes out. Long story short, the reason it's not measuring any drag force is that it's looking at the wrong fields to measure drag; it has no idea that FAR is applying drag now. Sarbian is currently working on code to allow MJ to work with FAR.

I've installed FAR, and the GUI isn't appearing in the Editor or in Flight; what's wrong?
    It's possible that you haven't installed FAR properly. Make sure that the FerramAerospaceResearch folder is properly placed in the GameData folder and that ModuleManager is placed in the GameData folder. If problems persist, make a post containing your output_log.txt so that I can try and find the source of the problem.

The GUIs don't appear to load; what gives?
    It's possible that the GUI has loaded off of your screen. Go into GameData/FerramAerospaceResearch/Plugins/PluginData/FerramAerospaceResearch and delete config.xml. This should fix the problem.

My game lags a lot; what's going on?
    First, check your debug log in game (ALT + F2) to see if any errors are appearing (NullReferenceExceptions are the most common, but anything in red is bad). If there are, then follow the guide below for reporting a bug.

How to report a bug so I can fix it quickly:
    1. Narrow down the plugins and mods that you are using until you can re-create the issue; if the issue is with FAR alone and you're running other plugins narrowing down the source becomes more difficult.
    2. Recreate the issue using the smallest craft possible; this leaves fewer options for the source of the error.
    3. Post detailed and specific instructions on how to recreate the bug, along with the entire output_log and the problem craft; this will allow me to easily recreate the bug on my end.

Please understand that if I don't get this information, your complaint ends up being very non-specific and it makes narrowing down the source immensely difficult. FAR includes (at the time of this writing) 8021 lines of code, which makes narrowing down the particular source of any bug time-consuming, even with information. Bugs can (and have) been fixed with less info but it often includes reading lots of code before the actual source becomes clear. The more information I have, the faster the underlying issue can be identified and fixed and the sooner you can go back to enjoying KSP with proper, bug-free aerodynamics.
    Last edited by ferram4; 11th April 2014 at 22:29.

Awesome! Looks like a great plugin. Keep up the good work.

Rocketry Enthusiast
    C7 needs to see this... At last I can make planes with more realistic post-stall maneuvering
    Royal Kerbal Military and Air Force orbital fighter pilot

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Currently 30,000KM up.... and accellerating fast!
    yay. Finally my planes will actually get lift from uber massive wings at ultra-high altitudes...

Amazing, C7 needs to see this. Might be a very nice addition to the gamer. ;)

Can somebody please send me a link to a modified version of this that removes the ability to specify an axis on a control surface? It is very frustrating to have to change the settings every flight.

Rocketry Enthusiast
    Why would You want that? It's better to change setting every flight that not change them at all
    Royal Kerbal Military and Air Force orbital fighter pilot

Random, I'm currently working on something to fix that, in the mean time, you can switch the axis before physics starts, since you're just waiting there for a few seconds anyway. I agree, it's annoying, but it's currently a means to an end.

Quick question, do I use less fuel the higher I am (not sure if its in the game). Oh and I agree its a little annoying having to change the axis every time but it's amazing that I can actually do it so I'm not too bothered.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Depends on the aircraft. Normal jet engines get more efficient with altitude. Piston engines stay about the same. However, Ramjets and Scramjets get more efficient with speed and remain about the same with altitude, however the limiting factor with them is heat. The lower altitudes cause these types of engines to get hot much faster due to air friction thus they are only really good once you get into the upper atmosphere where you can go faster with less air friction.