Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Protractor - Rendezvous Plugin - Under New Management!

Quote Originally Posted by mrenigma03 View Post
    New update!

Changes in 2.2.2
    - improved scaling of the closest approach line so as to be visible on the map when zoomed out
    - tweaked ejection burn adjustment values to work with low thrust/mass ships
    - adjust ejection now works for transfers between moons
    - closest approach now styled to reflect distance - bold for close, bold and italics for intercept
    - significantly improved GUI
    - code optimization
    - fixed crash related to 0 thrust/mass ratio and adjust psi

Spacecraft Engineer
    Quote Originally Posted by whatisthisidonteven View Post
    Duna's orbit is eccentric, you will need to do mid-course corrections most of the time.
    Then how am I supposed to know how to get to Duna? I don't even know what course corrections I'm supposed to be doing and when, I just burn at the time when it tells me too and that apparently won't get me there?

Quote Originally Posted by Olsson View Post
    Then how am I supposed to know how to get to Duna? I don't even know what course corrections I'm supposed to be doing and when, I just burn at the time when it tells me too and that apparently won't get me there?
    No, the tool is designed as instrumentation. It has to use simplified versions of the orbits to do the math. The result is that it gets you 95% of the way just by following the numbers. That last 5% requires an understanding of space flight so you can make the necessary corrections. There are a lot of really good guides littered about the forums, and you can always join the #KSPOfficial channel and ask for help.

Quote Originally Posted by Neomatt View Post
    Sorry, I meant: if your navball is pointing at 90°, and you reached the minimum distance, try N/180° or normal/antinormal (the ones at the "top and bottom").
    To test/affine those, I use RCS with H and N: H is "going in that direction", N is "going reverse". You can also use IJKL to try if translations are improving or not the distance.

And instead of using all my RCS fuel to go "forward", if H works, I cut off the RCS and thrust slowly (with one finger on X to cut everything when I reach the minimum).
    Usually, if the target is not on my current trajectory (i.e. still on Kerbin's SOI while I'm going to Jool), I can reach about 5 or 10 Gm to the body. Then, I time-warp to the middle/two-thirds of the "road", and do the final corrections until intercept (and maybe a bit more to get a low periapsis, but you have to correct again once in the system, so you can just wait).

If you missed Duna with the old plug-in, it means you're close but still out of the SOI.
    What you can try is to go at half the trajectory and do corrections in North/180° (to line up the trajectory with the orbit), or normal/antinormal (to move the center of your ellipsis).

It's much better to get the new plug-in however, since you know from a small push if you're going the right way or not.
    Well, using your mod, and following your post like a tutorial, this complete inept fool has only gone and landed on Duna!! (kinda, see pic)

This mod is incredible, I've been waiting for something that makes it this simple to plan missions and yet still lets you fly it yourself!!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Banned
    Blog Entries
    Most of these updates wont break old ships right?

Quote Originally Posted by Sbowyer28 View Post
    Most of these updates wont break old ships right?
    Pretty sure any plugin version post 2.0.0 works on any ship built since 2.0.0 (1.x.x weren't even released on these forums).

I leave a lot of ships in certain orbits to test the mod, so I'd notice if it broke backwards compatibility. If that happens, I'll let you know. Unless it's a major feature update (or caused by Squad updating something), I wouldn't introduce anything that breaks old ships.

Quote Originally Posted by amore555 View Post
    Well, using your mod, and following your post like a tutorial, this complete inept fool has only gone and landed on Duna!! (kinda, see pic)

This mod is incredible, I've been waiting for something that makes it this simple to plan missions and yet still lets you fly it yourself!!
    That's what I like about it: you could get the same result by keeping a spreadsheet or calculator around you, and putting a protractor on the screen, but it's much nicer to have the values displayed (and still make all the burns/corrections by yourself).
    I also use the map to be sure I'm not missing widely; if my apoapsis is on the planet's orbit (both viewed from the top and the side; you don't want to come in too low or too high), that's a very good indicator that I'm getting closer for the final, mid-course corrections.

And thanks, I tried to explain the best I could. Glad you landed once; I'm still trying to do a return trip here.
    Last edited by Neomatt; 1st October 2012 at 17:39.

Yeah I have a ship on the way to rescue my guys from Duna, the command module uses RCS to put itself in an 80k by 80k orbit, help is on the way! This mod has made the game 5 x as fun for me

Spacecraft Engineer
    Alright so I got to Duna. However once I got into orbit or an escape trajectory out of duna I had a very big inclination so I was like beneath Duna, not very efficient, how do I make sure this doesn't happen again. Also once I got into Duna I had a high velocity so I had to spend alot of fuel to slow down, how can I make sure that I use the least amount of fuel possible to get to Duna?

Quote Originally Posted by Olsson View Post
    Alright so I got to Duna. However once I got into orbit or an escape trajectory out of duna I had a very big inclination so I was like beneath Duna, not very efficient, how do I make sure this doesn't happen again. Also once I got into Duna I had a high velocity so I had to spend alot of fuel to slow down, how can I make sure that I use the least amount of fuel possible to get to Duna?
    1) Land on Duna near its equator, then take off heading east (just like you would from Kerbin).
    2) As far away from Duna as possible, start fine tuning your approach. The earlier you correct, the less fuel you have to use. Start tuning from Kerbin, then do more adjustments 10 days before you enter Duna SOI. This should leave very little work for you to do once you're in Duna's SOI. Eventually you want to aim to have a periapsis around Duna of between 9 km. and 10 km. Use parachutes. If you do it right, you won't have to spend a drop of fuel from your lander. If you're trying to get to Ike, use a periapsis of above 12 km. That will aerobrake you but not so much that you don't leave Duna's atmosphere. Mechjeb landing module predicts your apoapsis after an aerobrake, so use that as a guide.

Page 12 of 40 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast