Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.17] [Erkle+ORDA] Orbital Propellant Depot Olympus

I need a little help with it...

First I build my own home station. I used: ORDA SAS module & ORDA Docking Target. Ship are contain a more than one ORDA Docking target parts. Computer and two parts to fuel transfer.
    Second I build little ship with simmilar configuration but with ORDA Docking System.

When i used a AUTO docking with ORDA somethigng goes wrong and two ships now are trajectory to run away from Sun.
    So my question is: What parts are recomended within ship from ORDA to use a AUTO mode? I mean ORDA SAS, ORDA controlable pod and ORDA decoupler.

The People's Technocratic Republic of Vinnland
    Make a kethane version please!

Fantastic!!! I can't wait to download and try.

I downloaded the olympus launcher refuel station and even at stage 5 my laptop is lagging so bad I can't control it.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by Hiatsu2k8 View Post
    I downloaded the olympus launcher refuel station and even at stage 5 my laptop is lagging so bad I can't control it.
    You might want to try the version without mobility enhancers, it's towards the bottom of page 1. It's got something like 150 less parts.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer Festivefire's Avatar
    for a sec i thought you ment 75000 km in your flight plan and i was like "single stage to the mun dafuq?" but im downloading this now and im putting them everywere!
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9816&dateline=1344190  825

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Kethane and propellant depot like this go hand in hand. Without locally produced propellant all depots must be refilled with Kerbin launched tanker rockets. It's hard enough to keep a munar depot fuelled given that tankers must do at the minimum a TMI to bring that fuel to the depot, which means something like for every litre of fuel delivered to munar orbit six litres were burnt just to lift that one litre out there. If you want to keep a depot even further from home, say in orbit around another planet then astronomical amount of fuel and rocket hardware will have to be expanded to deliever a tiny amount of fuel.

However, if you didn't have to lift fuel from deep gravity well of Kerbin surface then the equation changes. At 1/6G fuel produced on Mun could be very cheaply lifted into orbit, even Kerbin orbit by reusable nuclear tankers launched from the Mun's surface. Seen as Kethane engines don't exist yet I think the best place to put the Kethane refinary would be right at the mining site on the surface. So you have a fleet of rovers on the surface. Some drilling for kethane. The extracted kethane gets pumped to a mobile refinary to be turned into bipropellant or monopropellant and then the product is stored in tanker trucks until enough is accumulated for a tanker rocket load. Then you land the nuclear Mun tanker nearby. Have the tanker rovers drive up and fill up the rocket and off it goes to a depot.

Alternatively you could build a orbital kethane refinary with pump, converter, ORDA fuel transfer systems and all three tank types. Equipe the kethane refinary with this ORDA/Erkle docking system on the nose and dock with the propellant depot and use it as an add on module to the depot. I don't want to add kethane refinary capabilities to the depot itself as that's another mod you have to install to get it to work and it kind of dilutes the purpose of the depot. I'll rather we keep different capabilities in different ships and dock them together as required.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer Festivefire's Avatar
    That is a very well thought out statement, and I agree. The only way to have sustainable interplanetary fuel depots is to ship the fuel from the planet they are orbiting, making kethane vital.
    http://kerbalspaceprogram.com/forum/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=9816&dateline=1344190  825

Milky Way, Earth, England, United Kingdom
    Kethane = Helium-3/Tralphium. Or is it Deuterium?
    Last edited by Cydonia; 4th October 2012 at 11:23.
    §________________________________________§
    » "Parking a Delorean, inside a TARDIS, inside the USS Enterprise NCC-1701-E's shuttle bay, cruising at high warp around a black hole, whilst being pursued by the USS Relativity NCV-474439-G, was not considered one of Jeb's better ideas that day..."
    §___________ | _________________§

Spacecraft Engineer
    Any recommended graphics settings that we should use for this? I have a pretty high end PC and this ship killed my framerate.