Thread: How do you make a plane?

How do you make a plane?

My space program is going fantastic but I thought a nice change of pace would be to dabble in the aerospace part of the game so I set about building a nice test plane and flying it and it can... fly... sorta... it just handles really really hard...

Can someone who is a more experienced kerbal aircraft builder take a look at my plane and tell me what the problem is? Or if that's just how the physics engine handles flight? It seems really hard to make soft turns without ending up upside down. Are A,S,D,F, Q,E the right controls? Am I missing something?

screenshot33.jpgscreenshot34.jpgscreenshot35.jpg
    "We must learn to live together as brothers or perish together as fools." -Martin Luther King Jr.

"It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not." -Andre Gide

Quote Originally Posted by CkGordon View Post
    My space program is going fantastic but I thought a nice change of pace would be to dabble in the aerospace part of the game so I set about building a nice test plane and flying it and it can... fly... sorta... it just handles really really hard...

Can someone who is a more experienced kerbal aircraft builder take a look at my plane and tell me what the problem is? Or if that's just how the physics engine handles flight? It seems really hard to make soft turns without ending up upside down. Are A,S,D,F, Q,E the right controls? Am I missing something?

screenshot33.jpgscreenshot34.jpgscreenshot35.jpg
    Handling Sensitivity is dependant entirely on how you build your plane. The reason the plane you've got there is twitchy comes down to several causes:

- large control surfaces far from the centre of roll (For a plane that size, more than a single pair of control surfaces is overkill),
    - the lightweight nature of the plane (big, heavy planes will naturally turn slower), and...
    - too much thrust. The engines you're using reorient themselves to help you steer. For a plane that size, you only really need one engine, two if you're feeling like something faster.

It's a fine first attempt though. A lot better than my early attempts.
    Species: Artificial Life, Real Evolution - A Scientifically-based Evolution Simulator/Indie Game (currently in alpha)

"You don't become great by trying to be great. You become great by wanting to do something, and then doing it so hard you become great in the process."
    - Zombie Marie Curie

Typically, check your center of lift and center of mass. You want the center of mass infront of the center of lift. This will make the plane naturally want to nose down, making it speed up. To get the balance, tilt the "elevator" control surfaces upward (as if the plane was trying to pull up)

This tends to make easy to fly planes. Theres lots of other tricks too, but they aren't relevant to a delta like you are flying here.

Default keys for flying are QWEASD for a QWERTY keyboard, the F key is the SAS temporary toggle.

Removing the engine bodies (which are currently only decorative) may help a little as it'll shift the centre of mass forward relative to the wings.

Quote Originally Posted by TouhouTorpedo View Post
    To get the balance, tilt the "elevator" control surfaces upward (as if the plane was trying to pull up)
    How do you do this?