134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 49.25%
  • No

68 50.75%
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Do you miss the Space Shuttle Program

Blog Entries
    Do your anti Obama rants somewhere else. Stay away from politics.

Insane part clipper
    Blog Entries
    I am not anti-Obama. I just think that that decision was a very illogical one and I'll-thought. Obama did many good things like finally doing something about the US gun regulation, cuz every pensioner has at least one gun and 11 year olds got their first Glocks, then they ask why so many gun violence.

Insane part clipper
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Shuttle View Post
    Yes.

One of the things I don't understand is why all the astronauts nowadays travel to space by Russkiye Kosmicheskiye Korabli aka russian space vessels. Americans had Apollo capsule in 60s, they now have tons of launch vehicles... Is it so hard to develop Soyuz-style capsule or remake Apollo pod to put on top of one of the existing rockets?
    First in your pic it is the soviet Buran(analog of the space shuttle, it only flew once unmanned). Secondly, why don't you try designing your capsule? That's right, you can't. NASA is currently working on the Orion and in the end of this year(or in the very beginning of 2014) Orion will perform its first orbital unmanned test flight. Although NASA is kind of working slowly because Chinese already made their Shenzhou craft pretty fast and DragonRider is coming up somewhere near 2016, 7 years before the planned Mars One mission. Also google the DreamChaser, it's a new type of space shuttle by Sierra Nevada, launched on top of a rocket.

Voting no because i didn't care about it when it was around and don't care whether we're using US, Chinese, Russian, Ethiopian, or whatever shuttle... it is and should remain an international project. Nationalism is so 1960's ;)

Quote Originally Posted by deadshot462 View Post
    By the time I really got into it, it was in the last few missions. I agree that USA should have had a Soyuz-style capsule strictly for sending people to space. No need to use up a risky shuttle mission just to send astronauts to the ISS.
    Actually, it was an extraordinarily safe method of putting people in space.
    It was ruined by cost cutting and bureaucracy, not by technical problems.

It was also made overly costly by design by those same bureaucrats, congresscritters voting themselves pieces of the construction contracts in order to enrich themselves and their sponsors.
    This made the program the overly expensive monstrosity it became, and fueled the spiraling maintenance cycles that made the envisioned 1 week turnaround impossible that could eacily have been achieved with several of the original proposals.

Those same bureaucrats also, in order to prevent losing their little kingdoms, sabotaged every single effort that could have successfully replaced the SSTS with something cheaper, faster, and even safer.
    Remember the original SSTS was designed to be in use until the mid-late 1980s by which time it was envisioned its replacement would have been designed and built, it was never intended to be in use for 40 years.

Fun fact: Over the course of its lifetime, the Shuttle was about as safe as a normal car in terms of fatalities per distance traveled. 14 deaths/500 million miles is about the same as the motor vehicle fatality per miles driven in the 1980s.

That said, it was very expensive, and very inefficient for sending cargo into space. Of the 104 tons that went into space with each launch, the entire 70 ton orbiter had to come back to Earth, leaving just 24 tons of payload in orbit. Combined with the huge turn-around costs for a "reusable" vehicle, this meant the Space Shuttle was very cost-ineffective. It did look very cool, but I think that's partly a selection bias since it was the only manned spacecraft we saw (at least in the US) in the past 30 years. So I'm glad it was cancelled, as that freed up the significant funds needed to operate the Shuttle to fund a much cheaper way of getting stuff into orbit, which is the current commercial crew program and the SLS.

no way. not in the least. it was misguided and a huge waste of money, and most of all dangerous. let me explain (assuming someone else hasnt already)

it had that giant cargo bay, yet could carry people. what was its purpose? to deliver probes, etc.? it could fly autonomously, so why carry that huge extra weight (and therefore payload limiting) life support systems?

was its purpose to ferry people around in space? in that case what is that giant honkin playload bay doing there?

the idea behind the reusable shuttle was to save money of course. but in order for a landed shuttle to be renovated in order to be spaceworthy again, the cost is about the same of a conventional rocket, which would be a lot safer (as we unfortunately saw with the columbia and challenger disaster).

and that is why i will not be missing the shuttle.
    *Survivor of the 2013 server massacre

"Constructive criticism does not have to be nice... You can be harsh, scathing even, and most importantly brutally honest and still be constructive."
    -Erik Kain

Capsule Communicator
    Quote Originally Posted by iDan122 View Post
    I am not anti-Obama. I just think that that decision was a very illogical one and I'll-thought. Obama did many good things like finally doing something about the US gun regulation, cuz every pensioner has at least one gun and 11 year olds got their first Glocks, then they ask why so many gun violence.
    But it wasn't Obama's decision.

I was pretty sad when I watched the last landing, mostly because I thought "well now what?" but seeing what SpaceX are up to, how ambitious they are and most of all how they seem to be actually progressing like they planned for has really filled the gap - and in the long term I have some hopes for Skylon, although as it's British and I'm British I'm 99% sure it'll just get sold overseas because we're atrocious at funding projects like that, and turn up in some different format. Hats off to NASA for Apollo - I'm just about old enough to vaguely remember Apollo-Soyuz - but after that the Shuttle just sucked all their innovation away, it seems. Given the black hole of it's operating costs, not too surprising.

The shuttle might have done many things averagely well, but it did only need to be one proven launch system to do them all rather than having to design and maintain several.

the program no, the orbiters.. Yes

They where absolutely brilliant and photogenic