Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do i get this rover to the Mun?

How do i get this rover to the Mun?

I have been having lots and lots of trouble getting this rover to the Mun :S
    Any help is appreciated!

Screenshots!

I'd split it into 3 modules. Make sure each one has 4 wheels (or 2 wheels + landing gear) so that you can dock them on the Mun.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer little square dot's Avatar
    If you've managed to get it into orbit, you've already leaped over the biggest hurdle. What is causing you difficulty? Lack of fuel? Landing? Transfer?

I'd say you're trying to lift far too much fuel.
    "A small step for kerbal, a giant leap for... hey where's the laddeeeeeeeeeeer"

- Jeb Kermstrong, last words (again).

I think that lifter is holding you back a bit. I'd use asparagus staging for those 6 radial liquid stacks and put some 1m tanks on top of those solid boosters in order to run your liquid engines (throttle them such that your TWR stays near 2 and the tanks run dry just as the boosters run out).

you should radially attach rockets to the rover and land vertically, than decouple the rockets and make sur the rover falls as it should. If any wheel breaks you can fix it. Its not a hard rover to land anyway.

Do you even launch?

Quote Originally Posted by little square dot View Post
    If you've managed to get it into orbit, you've already leaped over the biggest hurdle. What is causing you difficulty? Lack of fuel? Landing? Transfer?
    Well i got into orbit with the tanks and engines attached to the rover itself and nothing else xD

Quote Originally Posted by ThePsuedoMonkey View Post
    I think that lifter is holding you back a bit. I'd use asparagus staging for those 6 radial liquid stacks and put some 1m tanks on top of those solid boosters in order to run your liquid engines (throttle them such that your TWR stays near 2 and the tanks run dry just as the boosters run out).
    ok TWR?
    1m tanks wich ones are those?

Quote Originally Posted by RawChicken View Post
    you should radially attach rockets to the rover and land vertically, than decouple the rockets and make sur the rover falls as it should. If any wheel breaks you can fix it. Its not a hard rover to land anyway.
    don't want to land it vertically :S

Daedric Lord of Rocketry
    You don't need that much fuel or power to land on the Mun. Remember that the Mun only has 1/6 gravity, so you'll only need 1/6 the power that you would need to land on Kerbin. Well, excluding drag, but still. Replace those 2m tanks with some 1.25m ones. Maybe use the orange radial engines.

How many stages are you using? Remember appropriate staging can drastically increase the fuel efficiency of your rocket.

That initial boost stage needs revision. Way too much stuff glued on. Reduce your rocket to the bare minimum required to get your payload to the Mun, then add in a slight safety margin.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    http://www.twitch.tv/carcin0genesis
    I will never assign right or wrong to your style of play. It's not my business. Extend to me the same courtesy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast