Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

[20/11/2014][0.25] FTmN Atomic Rockets

New release! Main differences to the old parts:

• Refreshed art assets; engines look more consistent with each other and no longer use normal maps. This was a choice made with regards to the constant memory limitations of the game and while good normal maps can look great in KSP, they're not essential to the appearance of most parts. I opted to keep things more flat & simple.
    • Textures are now saved as MBM to avoid PNG and TGA bugs.

• Supports Community Tech Tree

• Re-balanced stats. No longer modeled after the stock LV-N, I've bumped up the TWR of all engines while knocking the Isp down more modest ranges. Designed to be more in line with hydrocarbon based NTRs.
    • I decided against a single-propellant option due to the lack of configuration for stock tanks currently.

Changelog

• 20/11/2014: Re-balanced costs of all engines, re-balanced Isp of all engines, added support for Community Tech tree, added new engine BL-40-N

Upcoming Features:

• Advanced engines pack
    • Optional Firespitter (mesh switcher) integration
    • Additional configurations for different propellants (Liquid Hydrogen etc.)

• Further down the line (hopefully), modular engine addons

• Final texture fix for old engines

Old Version (No longer updated.)

[Assets copyright of Kommitz, all rights reserved.]
    Last edited by Kommitz; 20th November 2014 at 03:48.

Very good models, though the idea of spherical solid core nuclear thermal rocket erks me. Do you mind if i use the models for making open cycle gas core ntrs that i think the models would be much better suited for?

I don't mind if you edit the .cfgs for yourself.

I'd originally thought about doing gas core rockets but...they're a bit out of scope of the game at the moment. As far as I know you'd have something with huge Isp, good thrust and not much worse thrust to weight than typical solid core rocket?
    Last edited by Kommitz; 26th April 2013 at 21:39.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
    Finally, a wider variety of nuclear engines! I've been waiting ages for this...nice work.

Kentucky, USA, Planet Earth, Sol System, Inner Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy, The Universe.
    Very Nice! I love the Retro-Future look of the engines too! If only we had some cool spherical fuel tanks to go with them...

"Once the Rockets are up, who cares where they come down? That's not my Department..." says Kerman VonBraun.

Holy cheese, this is amazing. Also, on the spaceport overview picture, what does it mean by the FTmN 240's radioactivity being "probably dangerous"? Should I be concerned as a rocket building company?

Don't use it in atmo. Don't aim exhaust at stations and other ships. Remember this, and you are good to go.
    "Thou shalt not take Murphy's Laws in vain."
    "Duct tape is like the Force. It has light side, dark side, and is keeping the Universe together."
    "No one gets left behind."

Quote Originally Posted by ROFLCopter64bit View Post
    Holy cheese, this is amazing. Also, on the spaceport overview picture, what does it mean by the FTmN 240's radioactivity being "probably dangerous"? Should I be concerned as a rocket building company?
    Oh, no more concerned than you should be sending kerbals into space with no life support systems, water or food

Anyway, here's a single upload of an engine I started a while back which I am currently waiting for the Spaceport elves to process. It does exactly what it looks like it should do.

DoubleNERVA (click to view in 3D)

Admittedly I could add more definition to the textures, but texturing with a mouse does my head in and I don't have many brushes installed in gimp to ease the process so eh.

Also learnt a lot about normal mapping and baking textures the past week or so so I might go and re-map the whole fatman set...eventually. They look good enough for now.

Looking good! I love that you've got a neutron isolation shield between the two like that.

Quote Originally Posted by hoojiwana View Post
    Looking good! I love that you've got a neutron isolation shield between the two like that.
    Well it seemed to fit the black band thing nicely and looked good. I'd love to say it was for scientific accuracy, but...nah.

Quote Originally Posted by UltraVires View Post
    Very Nice! I love the Retro-Future look of the engines too! If only we had some cool spherical fuel tanks to go with them...
    I'm working on things!