Thread: Landed rocket slicing

Blog Entries

Landed rocket slicing

Hello,

My rocket landed on non horitontal ground. It s sliDes a bit. Is there any tips to inscrease vessel stability?
    I need to fill a bit of Kethane before leaving^^

Edit: It slides!! Not slicing^^
    Last edited by brienne; 30th April 2013 at 08:33.

What do you mean by slicing?

Capsule Communicator
    Two floors below ground, sitting down and facing front
    Build 'em squat and wide; if you've got a lander that's shaped like a beer can, you can expect it to tip over and slide like one (especially if you land on a hillside). Try widening the base a bit - attaching FL-T200s is a good way to do this; your landing gear should attach to them. Only other thing I can tell you is to make sure you've killed all your horizontal velocity when you finally touch down. RCS can be a last resort if you tip over; I've been able to complete many missions because I was able to use RCS to re-upright the lander.

(Pretty sure that's what you're talking about; I hope I've answered the question. If not, ignore me.)
    My first account was splashed in the Great Coffee Spill of 2013.

(0.23) Kosmokerbal Commendation (Mün), Advanced Pilot Precision Award 1stClass

In space, no one can hear you pass gas...

Blog Entries
    Actually, my vessel slided on the side of a hill. It sounded ok when I choosed to land there, but it was not.
    I managed to drill a bit, and moved 500m away.

Thanks for your help. In fact, there s no special feature to avoid this kind of difficulty. Just choose wisely the place you re landing.

PS: I managed to crash a pod just by touching it with a kerbal while EVA. Thanks god F5-F9

this lander is an extreme example. it can land in slopes where kerbals are unable to walk
    One 2.5 meter tank with four 1.25 meter in the corners, put landing legs on them, I usually put the tanks on vertical separators and put rcs tanks on top. drain the side tanks first. This gives me the the option to jettison the side tanks if low on fuel, dumping of rcs tanks is part of the strategy, dropping legs makes the lander non reusable so I can just as well do an spacewalk to mothership and leave / deorbit it.

Blog Entries
    Nice lander. Mines are not so big. May go that way. Thanks.

I don't have any payload fairings that big, maybe I could do something like that if the legs were attached to 1m tanks. Also, the proper past tense of slide is slid. "Slided" makes me teeth hurt.