Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: KSP Steam or Store?

KSP Steam or Store?

Hey there guys. I've been following the game and played it many times whilst with my friend who used to be a major addict. I only really found out about the whole guarantee-for-expansions that ends at the end of April (today) and so have decided to buy in! My only real question is should I buy it on Steam or via the Store? Does either one have limits somehow? Also, I did use a search but could not find any information (may be due to the rollback.) Thanks for the help!

Hey Philip, I've bought KSP on Steam because it is downloadable any time the updates get released at the same time as the store version and I love Steam.
    But I think there's no differences between Store and Steam.

Yeah, it's disappointing the devs have bungled up the widespread release like this. It's not very good to launch on one digital distributor over a month ahead of all the others and cut off the freebies deal before they launch generally. Maybe they will extend the cut off date.

As to the question asked, I'd say the store is easily the better choice. If you go steam then the game won't be supporting steamworks specific features (workshop etc.) because Squad are going to offer the same functionality to everyone but you do get all of the downsides of steam like the DRM and aggressive client (the store version is completely DRM free). You can always run the store version via steam to get the overlay.
    Last edited by EndlessWaves; 30th April 2013 at 16:33.

The KSP store allows for easier maintenance of multiple versions, so I won't have my 19.1 saves wiped out automatically with the release of .20 like I would if I bought it on Steam.

On the other hand, KSP Store updates generally take several days to be fully accessible while Steam has the server capacity.

Quote Originally Posted by cardgame View Post
    On the other hand, KSP Store updates generally take several days to be fully accessible while Steam has the server capacity.
    That's mainly because the website is slow, the download servers are hosted by amazon so they should be at least as realiable as Steam's. Once the new patcher is added in a patch or two updating should be seamless for the store version.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
    It's not very good to launch on one digital distributor over a month ahead of all the others and cut off the freebies deal before they launch generally.
    What are these "all the others" that you are talking about?

To answer the OP; There really isn't much difference other than the Steam version using it's system for distribution vs. ours. The biggest difference is that we get a larger profit off store sales since Steam doesn't get it's small piece of the pie.

Cheers!
    Capt'n Skunky
    KSP Community Manager

Kerbal Comics on Facebook | Follow Kerbal Comics on Twitter. Kerbal Comics is not affiliated with Squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Capt'n Skunky View Post
    What are these "all the others" that you are talking about?
    Desura
    GameFly
    GamersGate
    GamesPlanet
    GamesRocket
    GameStop
    GameTap
    gog.com
    Green Man Gaming
    Mac Game Store
    PC GameStore
    SimulatorCentral

And those are just the english language ones I use or could find in a few minutes, I'm sure there are plenty more.
    Last edited by EndlessWaves; 30th April 2013 at 17:46.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Yes, and your implication that we will be appearing in these locations in a month is based on what information?

Again, you have no idea of what you speak, so best not to open your mouth lest you find the taste of toe cheese good.

Cheers!
    Capt'n Skunky
    KSP Community Manager

Kerbal Comics on Facebook | Follow Kerbal Comics on Twitter. Kerbal Comics is not affiliated with Squad.

For me, the only benefit I saw when I switched to Steam was that it would take a lot for a KSP update to bring down Valve's servers and I don't mind losing saves etc. when it does update. I see the "whole guarantee-for-expansions" as a way to get people off of the Kerbal servers and onto stronger servers and ways to coax over those that can't afford to be buying extra parts of the game

Explorer of the Universe AlteranEmpire's Avatar
    I transferred my copy over to Steam just for convenience. I just always use Steam so, why not?