[0.23.5] Spherical and Toroidal Tank Pack (Updated 05/02/14) (New download link)
EVEN MORE OPTIMIZATION!
The Spherical and Toroidal tank packs have been combined into one set. Through the use of the Modular Fuels and Firespitter plugins, you are now able to customize the type and capacity of the contents of each tank. No longer will you have to flip through several pages in the VAB to go through the entire parts list.!
The parts in the pack have also been update to be included in the technology tree introduced in career mode of KSP v0.22
NOTE: In order to use Modular Fuels functionality, you will need to download and install either the Modular Fuel Tanks or Real Fuels Mods. Links to their respective threads:
MODULAR FUEL TANKS
Here is what is included in the pack, along with directions on usage:
The Spherical Fuel Tank Pack has been completely redone. New versions of the tanks are now available, with optimized models and file system!
The Pack now includes the following tanks:
***NOTE*** This is a completely new and redone pack, separate from the previous one. All tanks have new names, so they will NOT overwrite the old files. I suggest you use the new pack, but if you have ships dependant on the old tanks, do not delete the previous pack until you are done with them.
Now available is a set of modular toroidal tanks!
The hubs are separate from the tanks so that you may mix and match tank sizes with attachment point sizes. Due to the narrowness of the hubs, the easiest way to correctly attach the tanks is to place the hub in the correct location on your rocket first, then place the torus after you have build on either side of the hub.
Thank you to Majiir for hosting the downloads, and Thanks go to ialdabaoth and NathanKell for use of the Modular Fuels plugin. View the current forum thread HERE
Thanks also go to Snjo for use of the Firespitter plugin. View his current forum thread HERE
-- Changelog --
- Initial release of combined Spherical and Toroidal tank packs using Firespitter and Modular Fuels plugins
v3.01 (minor update)
- Added toroidal hubs to career mode technology tree
- Added support for TAC Life Support mod resources to storage containers
- Updated tank configurations to be more compatible with MFS standards. Should allow use of these tanks with realfuels more easily.
- Removed MFS plugin from download. If you do not have MFS installed, the only fuel type available on the tanks will be LFO. If you install the MFS mod, then these tanks will support all types that it does. MFS will also be required in order to use the storage tanks (EL/TAC containers under utility tab)
- Updated resources names for TAC Life Support Mod
- Removed support for Ioncross Crew Support Mod due to resource name conflicts
- Compatible with KSP v0.23
- Updated to current version of FireSpitter plugin
- Corrected amounts of TAC waste resources in storage containers
- Updated models, should fix issues with tanks resizing when used as root node
- Updated dry masses of toroidal tanks. (Thanks again to taniwha for the maths)
- Updated masses for toroidal tanks, they are much lighter now (taniwha again to the rescue!)
- Increased node sizes for toroidal tanks and hubs to take advantages to changes in joints introduced by the KSP v0.23.5 update.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.
Last edited by Talisar; 6th May 2014 at 16:05.
Sr. Spacecraft Engineer
Been keeping an eye on this, glad it's updated for .20! I'd love to see a custom mounting bracket, as others suggested in the other subforum.
I'm working on a bracket for it, but have yet to come up with an idea for one that is both feasible and good looking. I'll keep plugging away at it though
aaaaaand.... I believe I fixed the texture issue. Sorry about that to those who downloaded it, the corrected version is up on spaceport now.
Might use this sometime. Looks good, sort of sci-fi ish. And, does it count as a 1.25 meter part or a 2.5 meter part?
I really like the form factor
Could you set us up with smaller variants and monopropellant variants?
For the bracket, I'd suggest styling similar to the stock truss sections, specifically looking at the 1.25-square adapter, making something vaguely shaped like a crescent moon with a square cutout on the inside to fit that band on the tanks, and with the outside having a flattened section where it attaches to the parent part, or being entirely angular on the outside. About as thick as the band on the tanks, and if it were me I'd make extensions on the inside that are not collideable; when the tanks are mounted parallel to the band these extensions will be covered by it, when mounted perpindicular to the band they will appear to be extend to the body of the tank, so it doesn't look like it's floating. you should be able to make it out of two identical blocky meshes, reverse the normals on one of them, and apply the same texture to both; using transparency to create the truss-y appearance.
This one counts as a 1.25 meter part
Originally Posted by wasmic
I am planning on doing just this. I'm going to make them for both the .625 and 2.5 sizes, as well as ones with monopropellant. I just want to make sure this one has no issues before I start (My first part and all )
Originally Posted by willow
I really like this idea. I'll give it a shot tonight.
Originally Posted by Greys
Last edited by Talisar; 23rd May 2013 at 06:07.
Junior Rocket Scientist
It attaches with a 1.25m connection, but its maximum diameter appears to be closer to a 3.75m.
Originally Posted by wasmic
That is exactly correct
Originally Posted by ultrasquid