Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kerbin Landing Chart: Land at KSC consistently from your stations.

Kerbin Landing Chart: Land at KSC consistently from your stations.

Update: New & Improved Chart!

Hi all,

Ever wanted to land at KSC reliably from low orbit? Then this is the chart for you!

NOTE: The x-axis is in units of 100,000 meters!

You must be more or less in a circular orbit before using the chart. Look up your orbital altitude on the x-axis. The corresponding y-coordinate gives you your "landing phase angle".

Basically, you want to burn so that your periapsis is at as close as possible to 0 meters, and at the given angle AHEAD of your target.

It's actually quite simple -- check out the example in the photo album.

Example Photo Album

Awesome Protip:

If you have a station in a fixed orbit, you could mark the relevant angles on a circle of paper, and use it again and again. That's really the way to go.

Let me know what you think!
    Last edited by alterbaron; 23rd May 2013 at 23:20.

Junior Rocket Scientist Scarecrow88's Avatar
    Interesting chart, but most of my low orbits are below 200000m and the graph is difficult to read accurately from that distance and below.
    In the beginning there was nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

interesting, but could you do a scaled down version of this, covering just the 70-200 km range, so that we can see angles more accurately?

it's not like we're going to aerobrake from a 10000 km orbit that often

I updated the chart to cover the more useful range.

Nicely done This is one for the Drawing Board.
    "It seems that perfection is attained not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing more to remove." ~Antoine de Saint Exupéry

The Drawing Board - An unofficial KSP tutorial and resource library for players both new and old. Need help, or just looking for new tricks to learn? Start here!

Meet your moderation team!

So as someone who is not very good at math, can this be broken down barney style please?

Junior Rocket Scientist Scarecrow88's Avatar
    Thanks for making the changes, much more useful (for me anyway) at that range. All I need now is something that can measure the angles for me.
    In the beginning there was nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

Much better (and quite useful), thanks!

Yes, quite useful. If you can, I'd switch the x-axis to be logarithmic. That would make reading the values for low-altitude orbits way easier.

Blog Entries
    Thanks for your presentation! Very interesting, and a fun challenge.

I'm curious about the math behind the chart that you presented. How did you derive your graph? What equations did you use?
    I'd like to be able to calculate reentries without relying upon a chart or mods.