Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

[0.25+] HexCans - Standardized Resource Canisters 0.7.1 -- Breaking Ground Edition

Introducing radial containers for all of the things! Plus

Downloads available at Github

Link

You can also find the development thread here: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...sters-20-Ready

License

This set of parts are released under CC-BY 3.0, you are free to use, alter, or add to as you desire, you may release your works using HexCans under whatever license you desire though I suggest open source as it's good for the community. You may distribute your works however you like.

Rules of Attribution

To make it simple and concrete I require only one thing to consider your released works sufficiently attributing me.

In the .cfg files for all HexCans parts there is the line
    Code:
    author = Greys
    "Greys" must remain in that field, you of course can add your own name/names and I do not care about the order.

example:
    Code:
    author = BobDole & Greys
    Nothing else is required for the license to be satisfied.

If you can I would like to have a link to either of the HexCans forum threads in your release thread, it does not need to be prominent, and that is not required.

Distribution

You are free to include as much of the base HexCans set alongside your add-on as you like with two conditions:

1. Do not distribute the original part set without modification.
      If you'd like to make modified variants of the stock parts that is fine, either as part of a greater add-on or a derivative HexCans set, but do not distribute the original parts as is. This is to prevent unnecessary confusion from the users and prevent the circulation of outdated assets.

2. Try to include only the assets that you need for your add-on
      Limiting the HexCan assets that are distributed alongside your add-on to those that are necessary has three main benefits:
      It reduces your distribution size which means players have to download less
      It eliminates unused assets which KSP will still load, reducing player's memory load if they don't choose to install the main set (marginally)
      It helps to prevent conflicts with the main set if assets have changed between your version and mine.

If you experience any bugs please let me know ASAP, either in this thread or in the dev thread.

Thanks for your time!
    Last edited by Greys; Yesterday at 23:46.

This could be useful for the SampleReturn plugin. Also Ironcross Life Support.

Been looking for something like this for modular supply vehicles!

Very nice

These will go really nicely into a space station idea I have, any chance crew storage is on the horizon? An entirely hexagonal station or even the smaller ones as one-man escape pods would be a lot of fun to mess around with.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer tek_604's Avatar
    rhoark gave me the heads up on your package. Looks very nice! Is it ok to use these in my mod, as and when I find a use for them? Link below

* Kerbal Space Administration rebooted with 0.20 *
    - Sure, I might fly with MechJeb. But, I don't HyperEdit bad designs into orbit
    My mod development:
    tek Industries Science 0.4.1: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...Science-v0-4-1

What pack are the floats in that can be seen in the last picture?

Quote Originally Posted by tek_604 View Post
    rhoark gave me the heads up on your package. Looks very nice! Is it ok to use these in my mod, as and when I find a use for them? Link below
    Be my guest!

Quote Originally Posted by Camacha View Post
    What pack are the floats in that can be seen in the last picture?
    They're from Firespitter by Snjo, it's also where those propellers come from.

I'm about to upload a new set with some fixes for the Barite cans

Fixed nodes to match the rest of the cans
    Rereverted the texture to what it's supposed to be instead of the generic

The links won't change so just wait 5 minutes and it'll be live, unless mediafire is annoying again

edit: Mediafire is up, Spaceport is up
    Last edited by Greys; 3rd June 2013 at 19:44.

Spacecraft Engineer
    I decided to take a quick look at this mod, fiddle around with the parts a little bit.

A number of things came to mind that seem a bit off to me.
    The main thing being their dry weights seem a bit high. To me, all that extra weight greatly reduces their effective usefulness, especially on smaller craft.

Things I think that could use some tweaking.
    Reduce dry weights of the assorted fuel cans to 20-25% of what they are now, to be closer to stock fuel tank dry weights. (personal opinion)
    Reduce battery cans by a great deal, as they are presently very heavy compared to stock batteries. Larger battery pack (400 energy) is 0.02, Battery Bank (500 energy) is 0.05, compared to even the 'small' battery can being 0.1 with just 29 energy. Rough guess, maybe go with 0.003 for small, 0.012 medium and 0.1 for the large (personal opinion)
    Increase Mono-propellent can capacity by double, to put it a bit closer to stock in terms of capacity (via visual guesstimate).
    Increase Xenon can capacity by 40-50%, again closer to stock in terms of capacity. (more visual guesstimate)
    For SAS/ASAS can weight, reduce small SAS (and ASAS) to 0.08, medium SAS to 0.2, large SAS to 0.6. (personal opinion)
    RTG, seems a tad heavy since it is on par with the stock RTG, maybe reduce it closer to 0.1? Medium and Large RTG cans seem fine compared to their outputs.

Issues.
    Small Xenon can is labeled "HexCan-Xenon" in game, same as the medium size one.

One odd thing I can't figure out, the small oxy can has a dry mass of 2 in the VAB for me. The odd thing being I checked the config, and it says 0.1 there. I have no idea what is going on there.

Suggestions.
    Half length cans, for extra compact/short designs and very small probes.

Kethane Cans. Need I say more?

Compressed Air Cans that store 'Intake Air', because... well... why not?

Weight Cans, small ones with several variations would be handy for things like rovers to help shift the Center of Gravity downward. Medium and Large types could be used both for craft balancing/CoG shifting, and to help test lifting capacities of rockets.

Also, what's on the nose of the 'rover' shown in the OP?
    Boldly going forward, 'cause I can't find reverse.

Doctor Watson; Always proving that being wrong means being one step closer to being right.

A healthy space gaming diet. KSP for Breakfast, Space Station Sim for lunch, and Mars Colony: Challenger for dinner.

Quote Originally Posted by rditto48801 View Post
    I decided to take a quick look at this mod, fiddle around with the parts a little bit.

A number of things came to mind that seem a bit off to me.
    The main thing being their dry weights seem a bit high. To me, all that extra weight greatly reduces their effective usefulness, especially on smaller craft.
    Lighter tanks, check. I don't have them on hand at the moment but i'm pretty sure it's large 0.6t, normal 0.3, small 0.1 so how about 0.4, 0.15, 0.06-0.08, the smaller ones would logically have more tank compared to their volumes so it's not a straight reduction.

Things I think that could use some tweaking.
    Reduce battery cans by a great deal, as they are presently very heavy compared to stock batteries. Larger battery pack (400 energy) is 0.02, Battery Bank (500 energy) is 0.05, compared to even the 'small' battery can being 0.1 with just 29 energy. Rough guess, maybe go with 0.003 for small, 0.012 medium and 0.1 for the large (personal opinion)
    Increase Mono-propellent can capacity by double, to put it a bit closer to stock in terms of capacity (via visual guesstimate).
    Increase Xenon can capacity by 40-50%, again closer to stock in terms of capacity. (more visual guesstimate)
    For SAS/ASAS can weight, reduce small SAS (and ASAS) to 0.08, medium SAS to 0.2, large SAS to 0.6. (personal opinion)
    RTG, seems a tad heavy since it is on par with the stock RTG, maybe reduce it closer to 0.1? Medium and Large RTG cans seem fine compared to their outputs.
    Actually all of the resource amounts are based on a set of measurements i did of the volume of stock parts vs their contents, though i can say without doubt that when I finished the tables and applied them to the tank-section volume of the hexcans, i was immediately disappointed (the shift key on this keyboard appears to be broken...). I'm working on a better set of measurement tools to get more solid measurements for the calculations. I even calculated the weight of battery per electriccharge for mine. That all said, i have no issue with increasing the amounts, but i'd like to get the revised measurements done first so i can at least be sure what the stock of it should be.

Issues.
    Small Xenon can is labeled "HexCan-Xenon" in game, same as the medium size one.

One odd thing I can't figure out, the small oxy can has a dry mass of 2 in the VAB for me. The odd thing being I checked the config, and it says 0.1 there. I have no idea what is going on there.
    Weight values not sticking is something i've battled with several times already, probably what it is is that cfg is setting drymass instead of mass, thought i'd fixed them all... I'll address those both when I get home.

Suggestions.
    Half length cans, for extra compact/short designs and very small probes.

Kethane Cans. Need I say more?

Compressed Air Cans that store 'Intake Air', because... well... why not?

Weight Cans, small ones with several variations would be handy for things like rovers to help shift the Center of Gravity downward. Medium and Large types could be used both for craft balancing/CoG shifting, and to help test lifting capacities of rockets.
    Half length will be tricky, I thing reducing their length significantly will conflict with the rack system and I'd rather not add six more racks, but I'll look into it.

Kethane is something I keep thinking I've already done for some reason... Is there a Kethane symbol?
    (Btw, shift works now?)

I've avoided IntakeAir for a while, but it's easily the most requested tank, even over Kethane. To me it just seems cheaty, intake air isn't stored anywhere but engines because it's supposed to be fleeting and to fake how engines are supposed to be a linear process. Having a tank of compressed air shouldn't let you run a jet engine because the air won't have the proper velocity and you won't have enough of it.

There is actually already a weight can, though it's not quite heavy enough to test weight capacities, the Liquid Barite cans which should be the first ones listed under the Propulsion tab contain the very dense Liquid Barite resource which can be shifted around in flight. it's not actually based on anything real though I did find out that Barite in a liquid slurry is used as a weighting agent in oil drilling, completely unrelated.
    ("What's something that's heavy?" "Bars." "Bars of what?" "Who cares, how'a bout Barite" "But it needs to be liquid" "So liquid Barite" "...")
    I never did any real balancing on the LB hexcans, they could definitely stand to hold more.

Also, what's on the nose of the 'rover' shown in the OP?
    That's the main laser thing from Romfarer's Lazor mod, and the octagonal lighted window pieces from LLL

Ok, so the red is charge, the purple is xenon. The blue is oxidizer? What are the two yellow? What's the grey one?