Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Can't Undock Bug, How To Fix

Rocketry Enthusiast whistlehead's Avatar
    Thanks OP, saved my Mün mission!

Junior Rocket Scientist Damaske's Avatar
    I ran into this once before and simply rolled the SSTO till the dock broke off landed it and then destroyed the station and put up a new one.

The one thing i can think of is that the ships were both unnamed and thus has no unique name and shared names docking = confusing and bugging out. THUS i feel that EACH ship even if unnamed/unsaved SHOULD be tracked and given a unique name something like unnamed000001, and so forth till unnamed999999 then it rolls over to unnamed000001. In theory if someone makes and flies 1 million unnamed ships really fast they are troubles.

SQUAD: PLEASE FIX THIS STUPID DOCKING BUG!
    Now streaming on Twitch! My SSTOs: Midget Beta I PLEASE NOTE: I speak my mind if it offends you please don't take it personal!

So the big day is finally here for .23. Was surprisingly able to open my .22 career save and the first thing I tried was to undock all of my stuck ships.

NO JOY!

I have to assume that the fixed docking ports bug described in KerbalKon is only for newly begun careers.

Quote Originally Posted by DMagic View Post
    ... And for anyone having issues with persistance file editing, make absolutely sure that you don't mess up any of the "{" or "}" entries; there are a ton of them, so it can be difficult to keep track. If you delete any of these it will totally screw up your vessel because it breaks how the game interprets the parts and how they connect to each other.
    Wish I'd read that 10 seconds ago - now my refueling station consists of a Stayputnik and one thoroughly misplaced RCS block....

Spacecraft Engineer DeepSpaceDutch's Avatar
    Well damn, I am having a similar problem as the ones described in this thread. Unfortunately it is a bit different and that's why I am not having any luck fixing it. Hopefully somebody here can help me because it's seriously spoiling the fun in setting up my first Kethane infrastructure.

So here's the dealio;

I'm constructing a large Kethane storage station in orbit around the Mun. I thought it would be cool to have a docking module with 4 translating arms (using Infernal Robotics) with docking ports at the ends. However, the instability this module created when a ship docked was a lot less fun, so I decided to use a derelict Kethane Shuttle to disconnect this docking module and replace it with a more conservative non-moving-parts docking module. Here's where the "fun" started, I docked the Kethane Shuttle (below the green arrow in the screenshot) to the docking port on the bottom of the docking module. Then I proceeded to click the Undock toggle on the docking port next to the red arrow. The plan was to back away and have the docking module and shuttle crash on the Mun. As you might have expected nothing happenend, -insert explicit here-.

Luckily I found this thread and started poking around in the persistence file. To my horror I found that my problem is not exactly the same. I did find the buggy docking ports using the trick in the OP (set Fuel transfer on offending docking port to OFF and look for enablexfeed = True)

Here's why;

the code snippet below is the same for the docking ports near the red and green arrow (Undocking the docking module/kethane shuttle is impossible, only undocking the kethane shuttle is also impossible).

There is no DOCKEDVESSEL section for either ports and the state is set to Docked (same vessel). Also I could not find any reference to the original module names (KethStation 1 - Docking Module Mk1 & KethShuttle - Mun 1) of the docking module nor the kethane shuttle in the persistence file.

I'm fearing the problem is that the game now sees my station as one complete craft instead of docked modules.

Anyone got any ideas?

Code:
    				MODULE
    				{
    					name = ModuleDockingNode
    					isEnabled = True
    					state = Docked (same vessel)
    					dockUId = 1753449553
    					dockNodeIdx = 0
    					EVENTS
    					{
    						Undock
    						{
    							active = False
    							guiActive = True
    							guiIcon = Undock
    							guiName = Undock
    							category = Undock
    							guiActiveUnfocused = True
    							unfocusedRange = 2
    							externalToEVAOnly = True
    						}
    						UndockSameVessel
    						{
    							active = True
    							guiActive = True
    							guiIcon = Undock
    							guiName = Undock
    							category = Undock
    							unfocusedRange = 2
    							externalToEVAOnly = True
    						}
    						Decouple
    						{
    							active = False
    							guiActive = True
    							guiIcon = Decouple Node
    							guiName = Decouple Node
    							category = Decouple Node
    							unfocusedRange = 2
    							externalToEVAOnly = True
    						}

<< .... >>

EnableXFeed
    						{
    							active = True
    							guiActive = True
    							guiIcon = Enable Crossfeed
    							guiName = Enable Crossfeed
    							category = Enable Crossfeed
    							guiActiveUnfocused = False
    							unfocusedRange = 2
    							externalToEVAOnly = True
    						}

<< .... >>

}
    					ACTIONS
    					{
    						UndockAction
    						{
    							actionGroup = None
    						}
    						DecoupleAction
    						{
    							actionGroup = None
    						}
    					}
    				}

Screenie:

The fix:

Make a copy of your save and store it somewhere in case this doesn't work.

1. Select "Control from Here" at the docking port of the dockee.

2. Quicksave
    3. Open the Quicksave and look up the vessel ( VESSEL-tag ).
    4. Look up VESSEL.ref and note the number there. This is the uid of the dockee's port.

5. Select "Control from Here" at the docking port of the docker.

6. Quicksave
    7. Open the Quicksave and look up the vessel ( VESSEL-tag ).
    8. Look up VESSEL.ref and note the number there. This is the uid of the docker's port.

9. Look up VESSEL.PART.uid where uid matches uid of the dockee's port.
    10. Within that part, lookup MODULE.state.
    11. Set MODULE.state to "Docked (dockee)".

12. Look up VESSEL.PART.uid where uid matches uid of the docker's port.
    13. Within that part, lookup MODULE.state.
    14. Set MODULE.state to "Docked (docker)".

15. Additionally, add the code below to MODULE for the docker (but not the dockee).
    16. Save the edited Quicksave and Reload from it.
    17. Now select Undock from the docker's docking port and you should succesfully undock.

Code:
    					DOCKEDVESSEL
    					{
    						vesselName = Name (Name of the Docked Vessel before it was docked)
    						vesselType = 5 (Type of vessel expressed as a integer)
    						rootUId = 1234567890 (uid of the docker's port which is a integer)
    					}

Spacecraft Engineer DeepSpaceDutch's Avatar
    Thanks for the reply kalizec! Just to be clear; the docker is the original station and the dockee is the combination that originally docked with that, correct?

EDIT: Nevermind, it was the other way around!! Thank you very very much!!!!!
    Last edited by DeepSpaceDutch; 12th January 2014 at 04:51.

Rocketry Enthusiast
    Damn, have the same issue here; the fix looks complicated.... (and have actually also the same question as DeepSpaceDutch!?)
    Hope I am able to rescue my manned Gilly lander.

Usually I dock my smaller more manouverable craft to my space station.
    In that case the docker is the smaller craft and the dockee is the station.

The fix looked complicated to me at first too. By now I can manage to do it in less than 60 seconds.
    (Had a lot of these bugs, though the latest add-on updates seem to reduce the frequency).

What a fun little bug, I just encountered this on my Jool spacestation... thankfully someone has figured out how to fix it!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast