Thread: the number of rocket crashes i have

the number of rocket crashes i have

IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

every planet i have attempted to land on, no matter how slow i touch the ground, all of my ships explode. what am i doing wrong? can anyone recommend any good landing manoeuvres or tips on having tall and narrow ships having a successful touch down? thanks. and one more thing, how can stuff explode at a 10 mph impact!? its ridiculous!

The post is coming from inside your house!!!
    10mph is actually pretty fast for running into a solid object like a planet or moon. I mean, what happens to your car if you hit a brick wall at 10mph, right? Anything over 10m/s is likely to cause damage even to a fairly robust design, and remember that the more massive a ship is the more kinetic energy is involved in an impact, even at the same speed that a small ship might survive. Take it from someone who crashed continually for 4 straight days as he was trying to figure out the landing process; it just takes practice.

well for start the landing gear min crash spped is 12m/s anything over and they will be destroyed. engines meanwhile only have a min crash tolerance of 7m/s

All my landings are at 4 m/s or less. I don't have any problems with my ships exploding.
    In the beginning there was nothing. And then it exploded! Terry Pratchett

Triple Blobber
    Try to get your lander hovering, then slowly reduce thrust until it descends slowly
    Searching since June last year to find a good image for my profile.

Quote Originally Posted by EnterElysium View Post
    I already had it in my WWK2 series but never used it... soon though, soon...

It's Mega Absol! Xannari Ferrows's Avatar
    Well, that is about 4.5 m/s. It's a little fast for a landing, don't you think?
    Watch out...

I use SAS on retrograde to land tall ships. This automatically removes your horizontal movement making tipping over on a FLAT surface less likely. There is one small catch to this method.

If you use to much thrust to completely cancel your downward motion, and instead go upwards. You now have a new retrograde direction, and one not conducive to landing. But as long as you keep heading downwards slowly, it works quite nicely. Be sure to turn it off before take-off.

Landing on a slope is still a problem for a tall ship.