Fairings that automatically reshape for any attached payload:
How to use (Imgur album)
Licensed under CC BY terms (attribution)
NOTE: Fairing base has no decoupler (unlike KW-Rocketry ones). This is intentional, to allow placing docking nodes instead of decouplers, structural stuff, multiple payloads or whatever you might want. It's possible to mod it to have a decoupler in the base, but I won't do that.
Compatible with FAR. Will not shield extended solar panels and antennas however, just like any other fairing mods.
Bug reports, suggestions and any other feedback is welcome!
- Improved payload scanning for interstage adapter.
- Recompiled for KSP 0.23.
- Zero-radius payload is now used when no payload attached, so fairings will always reshape.
- Added parts to the tech tree (except 3 and 5m parts).
- Moved fuselage shrouds to Structural tab.
- Changing adapter attachment node size with radius.
- Disabled fuel crossfeed on the interstage adapter - enable at your own risk, it confuses Engineer Redux to death.
- Added stock decoupler module to the interstage adapter topmost node to help with delta-v calculations.
- Improved fairing shape for interstage adapter when fairing top is inside payload.
- Added procedural interstage fairing adapter with adjustable radii and height which decouples from the top part when fairings are ejected.
- Added conic fuselage.
- Fixed another inline fairing shape bug.
- Changed fuselage texture to distinguish it from fairings.
- You can now lock fairing shape: mouse over the side fairing/fuselage and press L.
- Reduced side nodes size for smaller base rings and 0.625m fairing base (for easier placement).
- Fixed inline fairings making a top cone when there should be just a cylinder.
- Added experimental egg-shaped fuselage (a side fairing without decoupler).
- Moved fairing decoupler code to separate PartModule.
- Auto-struts are now created between the top inline base and side fairings as well. NOTE: if you payload is wobbly, the sides might still wobble.
- Fixed bug with misplaced fairings on new ring bases.
- Added low-profile fairing bases (base rings), intended for inline fairings. All of them have 4 side fairing attachment points.
- Replaced base model with one that looks more lightweight. It has the same size etc., so it won't break your existing ships.
- You can now toggle fuel crossfeed for fairing base: mouse over and press G in editor or use right-click menu in flight.
- You can now disable auto-struts between side fairings: mouse over the base and press T.
- Fixed inline fairings not connecting with the top base sometimes.
- Fixed nested inline fairings not connecting to the proper base.
- Fairing outline (blue lines) is not displayed now for inline fairings if sides are attached to any of the two bases.
- Inline truncated fairings are now created between two bases (one must be flipped). It won't work properly for off-center bases. If you want it off-center, tell me what for and how it should look.
- You can now change ejection force by pressing F when mouse is over the side fairing.
- Fixed rapid unplanned disassembly of side fairings when going out of time warp sometimes.
- Fixed ejection direction bug - it shouldn't matter how you place fairings now.
- Added invisible automatically placed struts between side fairings to eliminate wobble.
- Replaced ejectionNoseDv with ejectionTorque so that all ejected fairings have the same motion, regardless of shape.
- Improved payload scanning for better fitting of mesh and box colliders.
- You can now adjust radius by moving the mouse over the base part while holding R (the default key, can be changed in part .cfg).
- Fixed "recursion" bug which caused misplaced fairings to grow out of control. (It's also a foundation for future inline fairings).
- Using a (hopefully) better method to offset side fairing center of mass.
- Using proportionally smaller part of texture for 1/3 (and smaller angles) side fairings to reduce texture stretching.
- Renamed "capsule-shaped" fairings to "egg-shaped" to be more Kerbal.
- Fix for future FAR compatibility (needs FAR version 0.9.5.2 or later to actually work).
- Less rotation on eject to reduce collisions with payload and lower stages.
- Conic side fairings added, original ones are made a bit more capsule-shaped.
- Initial release.
- Simple procedural decoupler with shroud, intended for engines which have no built-in fairings.
- More side fairing styles, matching KW Rocketry, AIES, NovaPunch, etc.
- More complicated texture mapping schemes for less texture stretching etc.
- Documentation and tutorial on creating your own side fairings.
- Actual explosive charge model in the nose.
- Particle effects on jettison.
- Procedural heat shields.
Funding provided by FlexGunship.