Fairings that automatically reshape for any attached payload:
How to use (Imgur album)
Licensed under CC BY terms (attribution)
- Unlike KW Rocketry fairing bases, Procedural Fairings' fairing bases intentionally lack a decoupler, allowing docking nodes, structural parts, multiple payloads, etc. The fairing bases can be so modded as to include a decoupler.
- Compatible with FAR. Will not shield extended solar panels and antennas however, just like any other fairing mods.
- Bug reports, suggestions and any other feedback is welcome!
- Added tweakables.
- Rearranged tech tree, added 3.75m and 5m parts.
- Interstage adapter is available earlier now, but its radius is limited by aerodynamics tech.
- Launch clamps are ignored in payload scanning now.
- Payload scanning doesn't follow surface attachment to the parent part anymore.
- Improved interstage fairing shape when its top is inside payload.
- Added base cone angle limit to make fairings look better.
- Part descriptions and readme text copy edited by Duxwing.
- Improved payload scanning for interstage adapter.
- Recompiled for KSP 0.23.
- Zero-radius payload is now used when no payload attached, so fairings will always reshape.
- Added parts to the tech tree (except 3 and 5m parts).
- Moved fuselage shrouds to Structural tab.
- Changing adapter attachment node size with radius.
- Disabled fuel crossfeed on the interstage adapter because it confuses Engineer Redux
- So added stock decoupler module to the interstage adapter's topmost node as to ease delta-v calculations.
- Improved fairing shape for interstage adapter when fairing top is within payload.
- Added procedural interstage fairing adapter that has adjustable radii and height and decouples from the top part when fairings are ejected.
- Added conic fuselage.
- Fixed another inline fairing shape bug.
- Changed fuselage texture to distinguish it from fairings.
- Fairing and fuselages' shapes can now be locked by mousing over the side fairing/fuselage and pressing L.
- Reduced side nodes size for smaller base rings and 0.625m fairing base (for easier placement).
- Inline fairings no longer make a top cone when they should instead make a cylinder
- Added experimental egg-shaped fuselage (a side fairing without decoupler).
- Moved fairing decoupler code to separate PartModule.
- Auto-struts are now created between the top inline base and side fairings as well: wobbly payloads might still wobble.
- Fixed bug with misplaced fairings on new ring bases.
- Added low-profile fairing bases (base rings) intended for inline fairings. All of them have 4 side fairing attachment points.
- Replaced base model with a lighter-looking one. It has the same size etc., and therefore won't break your existing ships.
- Fuel crossfeed for fairing bases can now be toggled by mousing over them and pressing G in editor or using the right-click menu in flight.
- Automatic strut creation between side fairings can be toggled by mousing over a base and press T.
- Fixed inline fairings' not connecting with the top base sometimes.
- Fixed nested inline fairings' not connecting to the proper base.
- Fairing outline (blue lines) is not displayed now for inline fairings if sides are attached to any of the two bases.
- Inline truncated fairings are now created between two bases (one must be flipped). It won't work properly for off-center bases. If you want it off-center, tell me what for and how it should look.
- Ejection force can now be changed by mousing over a side fairing and pressing F
- Fixed rapid unplanned disassembly of side fairings when going out of time warp sometimes.
- Fixed ejection direction bug - how you place fairings now should not matter.
- So added invisible automatically-placed struts between side fairings as to prevent wobble.
- So replaced ejectionNoseDv with ejectionTorque that all ejected fairings identically move regardless of shape.
- Improved payload scanning for better fitting of mesh and box colliders.
- Radius can now be adjusted by mousing over a base while holding R (the default key can be changed in part .cfg).
- Fixed 'recursion' bug that caused misplaced fairings to uncontrollably grow. (It's also a foundation for future inline fairings).
- Using a (hopefully) better method to offset side fairing center of mass.
- Using proportionally smaller part of texture for 1/3 (and smaller angles) side fairings to reduce texture stretching.
- Renamed "capsule-shaped" fairings to "egg-shaped" to be more Kerbal.
- Fix for future FAR compatibility (needs FAR version 0.9.5.2 or later to actually work).
- Less rotation on eject to reduce collisions with payload and lower stages.
- Conic side fairings added, original ones are made a bit more capsule-shaped.
- Initial release.
- Resize-able fairing base.
- Resize-able engine plate.
- Simple procedural decoupler with shroud for engines that lack built-in fairings.
- More side fairing styles, matching KW Rocketry, AIES, NovaPunch, etc.
- More complicated texture mapping schemes for less texture stretching etc.
- Documentation and tutorial for creating side fairings.
- Explosive charge model in fairing nose.
- Particle effects on jettison.
- Procedural heat shields.
Funding provided by FlexGunship.