Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Great Googly Moogly, how I hate Windows

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    I'm not using Windows 8. Whenever forced into using Windows I usually choose the oldest version that fulfills my needs. I do hate Microsoft, because they make lousy products and somehow not only get away with it, but actually turn their mediocrity into a good profit.

In my previous job, if I designed and manufactured something as awful as Windows then there's a good chance someone would have died. Quite noisily and messily, sort of Kerbal stylee
    OK so do you actually just hate old versions of windows then? I love 7/8 but I detest XP and older as most sane people do. You can't judge the quality of a product when you use a 10 year old version.

Rocket Scientist SuperWeegee4000's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Foamy View Post
    OK so do you actually just hate old versions of windows then? I love 7/8 but I detest XP and older as most sane people do. You can't judge the quality of a product when you use a 10 year old version.
    "Sane?" XP was awesome, if they improved the speed by a quarter second it would be perfectly on par with modern systems. I love XP, and always have. Its interface, its style, its programs... one could never recapture the glory of Old Paint, much in the manner that modern America could never recapture the glory of the Wild West.
    Quotables: "This is one small step for a Kerbal, and one giant cupboard of snacks for said Kerbal." "Descending node, stop being useless." "AAAAAH TORQUE" "In space, no one can hear you facedesk."
    Subsidiary of BluPlanet Inc: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/...diary-Division
    #FREEZOKESIA (Not that I'm sure who I'm fighting for)

you know linux suffers from the same problem. if its not configured right, you are going to have a very crappy experience. of course you can always try various distros till you find one you like and if you are really really good you can get any linux to do what you want. i cant recall ever using an os where i didnt need to tweak something so that it does what i want it to do.
    this space intentionally left blank

Blog Entries
    Windows makes me want to bang my head on the wall sometimes. Both my neighbor and my dad had a problem come up where the hard drive was mysteriously filling up. I would look at the properties and it would say something like 350gb used on a 500gb hard drive. I would add up the folders individually and come up with less than 100gb. What the? Turns out, it was windows system restore. The max usage setting on both computers was set all the way to the right, giving windows free reign to copy everything, and copy it again, and again, and again........You couldn't find the problem by showing hidden folders. It took a 3rd party piece of software, I think it was TreeSize, to clue me in to what was going on. Also, all the bloatware that comes on new computers drives me insane.
    Policeman : "Do you know how fast you just went through Bay?"
    My answer just b4 going to jail "Where in the **** is Bay?"

Quote Originally Posted by Otis View Post
    Windows makes me want to bang my head on the wall sometimes. Both my neighbor and my dad had a problem come up where the hard drive was mysteriously filling up. I would look at the properties and it would say something like 350gb used on a 500gb hard drive. I would add up the folders individually and come up with less than 100gb. What the? Turns out, it was windows system restore. The max usage setting on both computers was set all the way to the right, giving windows free reign to copy everything, and copy it again, and again, and again........You couldn't find the problem by showing hidden folders. It took a 3rd party piece of software, I think it was TreeSize, to clue me in to what was going on. Also, all the bloatware that comes on new computers drives me insane.
    See, that is an issue that does not usually happen. It's also an issue that can easily be fixed if you know what your doing.

As for bloatware, yes, this is why I build my own computers. I like full control what hardware and software is in my computer.

Quote Originally Posted by Sid View Post
    I'm not using Windows 8. Whenever forced into using Windows I usually choose the oldest version that fulfills my needs. I do hate Microsoft, because they make lousy products and somehow not only get away with it, but actually turn their mediocrity into a good profit.

In my previous job, if I designed and manufactured something as awful as Windows then there's a good chance someone would have died. Quite noisily and messily, sort of Kerbal stylee
    Windows 8 is more secure and performs better then any past version of windows. If you have problems with it, you are doing something wrong.
    Last edited by Brabbit1987; 14th July 2013 at 01:35.

Meh, the only real problems I've ever had with Windows had to do with the INSANE amount of bloatware/crapware that comes preinstalled with most pre-built laptops/desktop PCs.

I mean, seriously, why include utterly redundant network and audio control centers, which do nothing but change settings in the "proper" control panels built into the OS?
    And that's not to talk about pre-installed trialware, especially antivirus software...

Grayscale Cosmonaut
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
    you know linux suffers from the same problem. if its not configured right, you are going to have a very crappy experience. of course you can always try various distros till you find one you like and if you are really really good you can get any linux to do what you want. i cant recall ever using an os where i didnt need to tweak something so that it does what i want it to do.
    This is actually part of why I love using Linux. I use Arch, which is a very minimal distro. You literally only get a command line, a package manager and a few command line tools. You get to install everything you want/need yourself. It's a bit of a bother to get started, but you get practically zero software bloat since you only install what you want and need, and my finished system with a GUI, good browser, wine, a few native games, and any other tools I might want, takes up less than a tenth of what an equivalent Ubuntu-based distro would, and a twentieth of what Windows would, all the while booting and operating nearly instantaneously thanks to native UEFI support and SSDs, while Windows would take several seconds, since it is awful at optimizing SSDs and can barely run with UEFI in the first place.

So yes, Linux needs a lot of tweaking before you can start using it properly, but once it's up and running, it stays up and running with minimal maintenance, compared to Windows which needs constant disk-upkeep, malware scans, and general tweaking.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brabbit1987 View Post
    Windows 8 is more secure and performs better then any past version of windows. If you have problems with it, you are doing something wrong.
    I am forced to rely on a screenreader for most computer activities. Windows 8 is an interface designed around big images with as little text as possible, and with practically zero backwards compatibility for third party screenreaders. On Windows 7, I could do everything on my computer. On Windows 8, I could barely install a proper browser.
    That is not good software design, everyone needs to realize that.

Quote Originally Posted by satcharna View Post
    I am forced to rely on a screenreader for most computer activities. Windows 8 is an interface designed around big images with as little text as possible, and with practically zero backwards compatibility for third party screenreaders. On Windows 7, I could do everything on my computer. On Windows 8, I could barely install a proper browser.
    That is not good software design, everyone needs to realize that.
    Really have no idea what you are talking about. Sometimes updates break things, that isn't bad design, that is just normal. It is up to the software companies to update THEIR software. That isn't Microsofts fault at all.

As for the interface in windows 8, it's the same thing as windows 7, it has the desktop. The only difference is the whole metro interface which will be able to be changed out come the new update.

On top of that, I was talking about performance and security, not design.

Last but not least, I could have sworn Windows 8 comes with it's own screen reader that works perfectly fine or am I mistaken on this?

Windows 7 > Windows XP. Win7 is just basically WinXP with more features, more optimizations, more awesome (I cannot live without Aero Snap any more). In fact, I will go out on a thick limb to say Win 7 is the greatest OS Microsoft has created so far.

Also, it's really strange, many people have problems with Windows, but just as many people have problems with Mac OSX, and each respective userbase looks at the other and says "I wish I was using that instead of this PoS". The thing with Desktop and Laptop Computers is you're meant to have a massive level of customization ability with them. Literally every complaint for either OS can be disabled. Except for Windows' "Hey, there's an update, instead of asking you I'm just going to restart the computer anyway" nonsense. That's literally my only personal problem with Windows.

Quote Originally Posted by Brabbit1987 View Post
    Sometimes updates break things, that isn't bad design, that is just normal. It is up to the software companies to update THEIR software. That isn't Microsofts fault at all.
    Considering the fact we all play a game where this exact thing happens frequently, and is in fact happening in the very next update, this is a pretty "no-brainer" thing to say on these forums.
    Last edited by AlternNocturn; 14th July 2013 at 07:51.

As Kerbals We Tread Boldy; From Whence We Came We Conquered, And
    Thus Hereon We Conquer Anew.

Quote Originally Posted by AlternNocturn View Post
    Windows 7 > Windows XP. Win7 is just basically WinXP with more features, more optimizations, more awesome (I cannot live without Aero Snap any more).

Also, it's really strange, many people have problems with Windows, but just as many people have problems with Mac OSX, and each respective userbase looks at the other and says "I wish I was using that instead of this PoS". The thing with Desktop and Laptop Computers is you're meant to have a massive level of customization ability with them. Literally every complaint for either OS can be disabled. Except for Windows' "Hey, there's an update, instead of asking you I'm just going to restart the computer anyway" nonsense. That's literally my only personal problem with Windows.
    Think they fixed that in Windows 8. Matter of fact, I used to love to tweak windows, but it just so happens that windows 8 already comes defaulted with all the tweaks you could do to improve past windows. Literally the only change I had to make was the metro interface and use a program called Start8. However, will not even need that soon. Microsoft did a very good job with windows 8.

Funny thing is, I used to believe everyone who ragged on Windows 8. Then one day decided to give it a try myself. I then was like ...

WHAT IS EVERYONE TALKING ABOUT!?!?!? This isn't bad, this is great!

I was pretty shocked. I suddenly remembered why I never trusted anyones biased opinions before.