Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Come back old ASAS - all is forgiven!

Junior Rocket Scientist

Come back old ASAS - all is forgiven!

OK, this is an initial impression, so it may improve when I get used to it, but I hate it, almost to the point where I don't want to play the game any more.

Haven't tried it with rockets yet, but it's making my spaceplanes much harder to fly. Firstly, the claim that it allows you to adjust one axis while keeping the other 2 stable seems to be false. I'm getting phantom rolls when I yaw and pitch, phantom pitches when I do the other two, and so-on.

Secondly, the "lock to heading" functionality is completely gone. The thing will drift, regardless. The old ASAS could be used to pick an angle of attack and hold it, so you could build up speed while in straight and level flight, just below your flameout altitude. That ability is gone now. They drift up and down, wandering about by themselves, so while trying to pick up speed I'm getting random flameouts which I could avoid before. I'd say this is taking 100-200 m/s off my top speed on jets, which when you're trying to save rocket fuel is a *lot*.

Thirdly, even in space it seems it will only hold a heading if your plane is perfectly balanced. It turns out mine has a very slight off centre thrust on its rockets. The old ASAS simply used the pod torque and gimbals to counter this. The new SAS doesn't hold a heading, so the moment I throttle up the direction starts to change and I have to make constant manual corrections. Burning for a manoeuvre node seems to be more or less impossible.

I do appreciate the removal of the random oscillations, but please can we have some sort of heading lock functionality back?

ETA: Some more flying in space. I'm getting phantom rolls. I can understand a slight unbalance causing phantom pitch, but the only thing that's possibly off centre in the roll axis is the fact that I have a ladder on one side. As far as I can tell, SAS is making no effort to counter this at all.
    Last edited by ComradeGoat; 24th July 2013 at 14:33.

All these worlds are yours except Vall. Attempt no landing there.

Sr. Spacecraft Engineer cesarcurado's Avatar
    I think you might have activated trimming accidentally...
    Press alt + x and see if it works now.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    No difference. Still resolutely refuses to hold a heading, still won't lock the other two axes.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Also, it's obviously not trim: the refusal to hod a heading in space only occurs when the vessel is under thrust.

I also agree. From what I have experienced, the new ASAS system seems "weaker" and less responsive. Before, the ASAS will immediately lock into place when I turn it on, but now, when I let go of the controls, it doesn't lock immediately into place like before.

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Landed my test flight. It nearly crashed because SAS wouldn't hold the flare, so I came *this* close to killing Jeb on what should have been a perfectly trivial landing. It's much harder to fly now. I feel like I'm fighting the controls all the time.

you guys realize torque is much weaker now in the built in stuff right? you need to add reaction wheels if you want it glued in place like before. also you may actually need a part with sas built in as i have noticed alot of things don't have it anymore just the wheels etc you have to check the description

I'm not sure if this is the new logic or if it's just a glitch, all the preview videos I have seen show it working fine, right now it just sucks. I mean I'm glad the wobble is gone but that doesn't mean jack squat if my mini space station is going to take a nose dive.

Quote Originally Posted by rryy View Post
    I also agree. From what I have experienced, the new ASAS system seems "weaker" and less responsive. Before, the ASAS will immediately lock into place when I turn it on, but now, when I let go of the controls, it doesn't lock immediately into place like before.
    This is one key difference with the new SAS behavior. The old system would shake a ship apart trying to fight it's way back to a particular heading.

The new system allows us to use the controls to fly and change heading while the SAS is engaged. But it's not a mind reader, so it can't know if you let go of the controls what your intention is... So one of the key differences is that when you've introduced a turn or swing on the controls and let go, SAS won't try to get back to the point that you let go of the controls. What it will do, is try to kill the turn or swing and steady up...and that steady up point is the heading it will attempt to hold.

What this requires from the pilot, is a little bit of work to anticipate your desired course, and let go in advance of reaching your desired heading. If it's going to take SAS 10 degrees before it steady's up, then you want to stop turning when you're 10 degrees from your desired heading. Small ships this anticipation should be fairly trivial. Larger ships, you might want to plan ahead.
    "I hear and I forget, I see and I remember, I do and I understand." - Proverb

Junior Rocket Scientist
    Quote Originally Posted by toril View Post
    you guys realize torque is much weaker now in the built in stuff right? you need to add reaction wheels if you want it glued in place like before.
    This is a plane. It's got control surfaces and is a very stable aircraft. It also has reaction wheels because I pulled it over from 0.20 and its ASAS unit magically became reaction wheels.

It's doing something when I turn it on, but that something isn't doing the job of holding a heading.

Page 1 of 75 1231151 ... LastLast