Thread: Kraken at the edge of Kerbin's Antarctica

Kraken at the edge of Kerbin's Antarctica

What:
    Crossing the edge of Kerbins Antarctica on the surface destroys the ship, with a potential of crashing the game.

How to reproduce:
    Take a spaceship/plane with landing gear* and try to drive it to the ocean from the icy continent covering Kerbin’s South Pole.

One can find a savegame containing my plane a small distance from the edge here. The package also contains the crash report logs.

My PC specs:
    KSP version: 0.21.1.276
    CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1090T
    RAM: 16 GiB, no page file
    Graphics card: Sapphire Radeon HD 5770
    SM: 30 (Direct3D 9.0c [aticfx32.dll 8.17.10.1191])

*I didn’t test with wheel parts since I’m no fakir when it comes to editing KSP save files neither did I feel like building a ship capable of flying a quarter of Kerbin’s great circle in the atmosphere just to test a bug - not to mention the flying and landing.

More detailed description & background:
    I’m totally guessing yet I think this is not a 100% bug in the first place, but is merely caused by how terrain and ships with wheels/landing gear rolling over it are modelled. However, when I first encountered this, the game crashed so I’m reporting it as one.

The Antarctica of Kerbin seems to be a totally flat icy plane with elevation of a notch over 31 meters. It’s edges are roughly jagged and have no smooth curve down to ocean whatsoever. That is, on the edge one vertex is at 31 meters and the next is on the bottom of the ocean. Whenever a ship taxiing on the surface approaches the edge hell breaks loose and the Kraken smashes the vehicle to pieces. On the first time my velocity on the edge was around 200 m/s and the game crashed. Someone more into save editing might test this more thoroughly by spawning different/simpler vehicles on the Antarctica.

The funny part
    ... is that the plane I encountered this with didn’t have enough lift/torque to lift itself off the flat so I had to “drive” it all the way from the South Pole to the edge. You can just imagine my reaction when the plane disintegrated crashing the game after some 20 minutes of riding the ice... Poor Jeb

Fix suggestion
    Maybe it would be possible to fix this by simply removing a discontinuity in Kerbin’s height maps? Or would it require a higher resolution map?
    Last edited by SPuntte; 26th July 2013 at 15:53. Reason: Fixed the KSP revision