Page 17 of 35 FirstFirst ... 7151617181927 ... LastLast

Thread: About the Tech tree

Quote Originally Posted by Necandi Brasil View Post
    Can we expect more capsule types ? I would love a tier three (5-7 crew...) Assuming tier one (single manned or even 2 man crew), tier two (2-3 crew) and beyond
    This higher crew count would help me building my 15 crew Dune mission ...
    It would be really nice/cool to have 2 person Capsules to play with (preferably 1.5m parts).

I'd also like to request eventually getting bigger capsules and parts, 3.5m would be cool. At the least, 2 kerbal capsule please!

Also...well...a non cylindrical landing can...I really want an actual LM type can.

Quote Originally Posted by HarvesteR View Post
    MechJeb's parts will have to be added to a tech node before they can appear in a Career game, so until MJ (and other mods) are updated for Career-friendliness, they won't appear in the parts list.
    For MechJeb specifically, it would be pretty cool to have a bunch of different parts that had blacklisted features appearing at different points in the tech tree, thus allowing a natural progression of autopilots. Non-specifically, this actually opens up a lot of cool modding opportunities with custom cfg files and Module Manager.

I'm going to have to learn Module Manager now...
    I'm one of those players that wants KSP to be Orbiter 2 (Lite). My development thread.

KTLA KNEW!

Quote Originally Posted by regex View Post
    For MechJeb specifically, it would be pretty cool to have a bunch of different parts that had blacklisted features appearing at different points in the tech tree, thus allowing a natural progression of autopilots. Non-specifically, this actually opens up a lot of cool modding opportunities with custom cfg files and Module Manager.

I'm going to have to learn Module Manager now...
    This is something mods have to do, we can only provide the tools do it here.

Anyhow, it should be possible to add a few 'ifs' to a part module or any piece of game logic really, to check if a certain technology is available. That lets you (the mod-maker) restrict functionality until a certain tech is researched.

This is also safe to use in sandbox saves. In sandbox mode, the R&D module isn't spawned, so the code interface falls back to an 'everything is available' mode.

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by HarvesteR View Post
    This is something mods have to do, we can only provide the tools do it here.
    Of course. MechJeb already allows you to blacklist features per part; that was my point. Module Manager is a mod that allows the user/modder to make specific changes to pretty much any part so long as you know its unique name. You can specify changes to stock parts or even other modder's parts, allowing each user to customize their own experience. For instance, if I download a part pack and don't like their tech-tree integration or balancing alongside stock parts, I can use Module Manager to change all of that without manually editing config files.

My post was really just a revelation that your tech-tree is awesome and that already-existing mods can be balanced by the individual user if need be.
    I'm one of those players that wants KSP to be Orbiter 2 (Lite). My development thread.

KTLA KNEW!

KRASH Agency Director HeadHunter67's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seret View Post
    Your first mission is to get into orbit in a vehicle made entirely of struts.
    So, in other words, no change from normal rocket construction?

"Any landing you can walk away from... was not a KRASH landing!" - Jubal Kershaw, Director of the Kerbal Rocketry And Science Headquarters.

Quote Originally Posted by lazarus1024 View Post
    Also...well...a non cylindrical landing can...I really want an actual LM type can.
    I agree with you on that one ...
    Mining operations and Space solutions.

This tech tree is really starting to sound exciting. I'm guessing that doing the missions and being constrained to only using researched parts will make for some very interesting rethinks of several of my tried and true launchers.
    If you thought you had a Kerbal Space Program addiction before you learned to dock....

Rocket Scientist TheCanadianVendingMachine's Avatar
    Harv, if this seems sensible, can you release the code needed for the career mode part module type thing? If you do this, this would make the community happy, and the mod makers aswell.
    Seeing a spacesuited astronaut standing on a platform on the end of the robot arm in space is a crystal-clear sign we live in the future.

You can't fix Stupid with Duct tape
    (Intended to be "Stupid")

Quote Originally Posted by HeadHunter67 View Post
    Why did you divide your tech tree between Apollo 13 and 14?
    It is an obvious historical break point in the Nasa timeline. Modifications to the Apollo rocket happened, and tech from materials research was folded into the mix. Also public perception of the space race changed so goals were realigned.

I figured at would be a good time to solidify the "to the moon" tech parts, and start to look forward to the LKO habitation technologies.

I see the transitions thusly

Chap 1 - unmanned baby steps into space
    Chap 2 - the first breath of manned space flight
    Chap 3 - The second breath after a big scare
    Chap 4 - the first colonizations
    Chap 5 - owning the stars

I thought about it quite a bit and I really think Tech and the underlying thought process behind missions changed dramatically after Apollo 13 and in Nasa the rescue of 13 demonstrated the human (krbal) ability to have extended stays in space. (On purpose or by misfortune)

Alacrity

I wonder something for a while now. Will R&D going to be a "unlock" the part thing only?
    Or does it (maybe not now, but at some point) support upgrades/downgrades of any kind?

Cause it feels just really silly to research a Skipper for instants, and later on the Mainsail. The mainsail is pretty much a upgraded Skipper, or a Skipper is a downgraded Mainsail. Depends on how you look at it. Same for fuel tanks. Right now we have different shapes, and sizes and everything, different tanks for different liquid. But with tweakables coming in the picture someday, you should "tweak" the fuel sort right? There for you only need a different set of tanks in different sizes and shapes. (Maybe not even sizes. You could tweak or upgrade/downgrade that..) I don't see the need/the point of researching ten or twenty fuel tanks and or engines, if you can take just one basic tank/engine and upgrade it to a better one with more power or fuel, or downgrade it with less power or fuel. But again, I wonder because we don't really know what tweakables will be. Maybe we can change all those things in there?
    Last edited by JSD; 14th August 2013 at 17:36.