Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Doing it Gemini Style - An Alternate History Mun Mission

Mad Scientist Death Engineering's Avatar

Doing it Gemini Style - An Alternate History Mun Mission

The Gemini spacecraft was a versatile and innovative fighter jet styled step towards a manned moon landing. The original Direct Ascent designs and Earth Orbit Rendezvous missions used variants of the Gemini spacecraft, and was later considered to perform space-taxi missions to space stations.

Stock or Mod entries welcome.

This is a challenge to explore the NASA Gemini Lunar program. There is a base of +20 points for performing the primary mission objective with bonus points awarded for executing the mission in various configurations. Points are balanced with consideration to:

• Mission complexity
    • Accurate Gemini details
    • Accurate lifter details
    • Spacecraft complexity
    • Rescue readiness
    • Crazy 60's details

Primary mission objective (+20):
    • Stock or Mod parts*. Separate leaderboard for each.
    • Using a mission profile of 1-2 launches and a two-Kerbal crew, orbit both Kerbals around the Mun and return the crew to Kerbin.

Possible Launch Profiles:
    1. EOR: 2 Launches. Two spacecraft rendezvous and dock in LKO then proceed to Munar orbit.
    2. LOR: 2 Launches. Two spacecraft rendezvous and dock in Munar orbit and perform a Mun landing.
    3. Direct ascent: Launch one spacecraft and establish a Munar orbit.

Note: An additional launch using Direct Ascent mission profile may be launched if attempting the Munar rescue readiness points ("Got your back" or "We have a reservation").

Bonus points:
    Mission
    • Direct Ascent (+4): Using a single launch, establish a crewed Munar orbit.
    • Earth Orbit Rendezvous (+5): Using two launches to low Kerbin orbit, dock two spacecraft. Once docked, send the docked spacecraft to Munar orbit.
    • Munar Orbit Rendezvous (+6): Using two launches to low Kerbin orbit, separately send two spacecraft to Munar orbit. Once there, dock them together and complete a landing mission.
    • Landing prestige: One Kerbal on the Mun (+7). Second Kerbal on the Mun (+4).
    • Faster, better, cheaper - Rover bonus (+0): You can't afford a rover on the Gemini budget.

Capsule
    • Happy together (+3): Both crew members are never separated by more than 10km
    • We're done with that (+3): Detachable support module (Jettison from command module before Kerbin landing at least three of:RCS cells, electrical systems, lighting, legs, retro package)
    • Just in case (+3): Launch Escape System present

Lifter
    • Is that a Titan II? (+2): At least one of the rockets uses a two-engine cluster first stage and a single engine cluster second stage.
    • Wow, A Titan III!(+3): At least one of the rockets earns 'Is that a Titan II?' and has two strap on SRB's on the first stage.
    • That looks like Saturn 1B! (+4): At least one of the rockets uses a first stage cluster with 8 engines
    • Saturn S-3? That's your full-size (+5): At least one rocket uses a 3 engine first stage and a 4 engine second stage.
    • Won't Apollo miss that Saturn 5? (+6): At least one rocket uses a 5 engine first stage and a 5 engine second stage.
    • That's no bull (+2): Trans Munar injection booster is a two-engine cluster, like the Centaur kicker stage.

Lander
    • On your space bike (+4): At least one open cockpit lander
    • Dropping some weight (+3): At least one of the primary or backup Munar surface return vessels leaves behind its Munar descent stage.
    • Making it count (+2): Earn 'Dropping some weight' and have a powered probe core on the discarded descent stage. Must remain powered at least until the crew lands on Kerbin.
    • Since we're there (+2): If used, the backup Munar surface return vehicle earns 'Dropping some weight' and 'Making it count'.

Recovery
    • Welcome home (+10): Both crew return to Kerbin
    • We can take it (+3): Be able to safely return to Kerbin on water or land without damage.
    • Landing gear down (+5): Perform a parachute assisted landing on deployable wheels or skids

Crazy 60's details
    • We are outta here (+3): The Launch Escape System ejects both crew in their own separate crafts. The Gemini had fighter jet style ejection seats.
    • Easy Rider (+3): Using open cockpit landers ('On your space bike'), land both Kerbal crew members on the Mun independently.
    • Got your back (+6): Another two-crew capable empty Gemini return vehicle can be launched and landed within 10km of the primary mission as an emergency return vehicle. Must completely perform Munar ascent to Kerbin landing, or dock with a return-capable vessel in Mun orbit.
      Or..
    • We have a reservation (+7): Land a crew on the Mun within 10km of a previously landed empty spacecraft. Must completely perform Munar ascent to Kerbin landing, or dock with a return-capable vessel in Mun orbit.

*I don't know that the use of Mod parts makes the challenge any easier or harder, so no bonus or handicap. Input is welcome.

Stock Parts Leaderboard:
    1. borisperrons - 105 pts
    2. capi3101 - 101pts
    3. FacticiusVir - 86 pts
    4. HueHue - 76 pts
    5. Death Engineering - 69 pts
    6. WooDzor - 63
    7. Franzie360 - 63 pts
    8. Xeldrak - 62 pts

Mod Parts Leaderboard:
    1. CatastrophicFailure - 106 pts *
    2. CalculusWarrior - 83 pts *

References:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advance...#Lunar_landing
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Titan_(rocket_family)
    http://www.astronautix.com/articles/bygemoon.htm

Last edited by Death Engineering; 22nd June 2014 at 10:22. Reason: updated leaderboard

Gemini Style Direct Ascent Landing

The inspiration for this challenge came from my attempt to complete the Doing it Apollo Style challenge using a Gemini style mission. Since the Gemini mission didn't really fit into that challenge, and I've always had a soft-spot for the Gemini spacecraft, I felt this challenge would be a good way to explore some real-world technology and how it could have been used in an alternate history.

My attempt at Doing it Gemini Style:

Primary mission objective (+20)

Mission
    • Direct Ascent (+4): Using a single launch, establish a crewed Munar orbit.
    • Landing prestige: One Kerbal on the Mun (+7). Second Kerbal on the Mun (+4).

Capsule
    • Happy together (+3): Both crew members are never separated by more than 10km
    • We're done with that (+3): Detachable support module (Jettison from command module before Kerbin landing at least three of:RCS cells, electrical systems, lighting, legs, retro package)
    • Just in case (+3): Launch Escape System present

Lifter
    • Won't Apollo miss that Saturn 5? (+6): At least one rocket uses a 5 engine first stage and a 5 engine second stage.

Lander
    • Dropping some weight (+3): At least one of the primary or backup Munar surface return vessels leaves behind its Munar descent stage.

Recovery
    • Welcome home (+10): Both crew return to Kerbin
    • We can take it (+3): Be able to safely return to Kerbin on water or land without damage.

Crazy 60's details
    • We are outta here (+3): The Launch Escape System ejects both crew in their own separate crafts. The Gemini had fighter jet style ejection seats.

Total: 69

I'm going to do it, and I'll try for glorious paraglider return to boot.

edit: By skids, do you mean normal deployable landing gear?
    Last edited by HueHue; 1st September 2013 at 23:20.

Blog Entries
    Hm - I'll might have a try on this one. Sadly there is no two-man capsule.

stick 2 of the 1 man capsules one on top of the other, or use a landercan with a conical thingy to make it look like a capsule

You can use a 3 man capsule and put only 2 kerbals in it =D
    "You can preach reality all you want, but in the end this is a video game we're talking about. You know, one of those things that people use to feel enjoyment? Those things we have for blind fun or immerse experiences for the more Hardcore folks. If you want a truly hardcore experience, become an astronaut or get involved in a space program!"
    -A Semi-Rabid Space Squirrel

Quote Originally Posted by HueHue View Post
    I'm going to do it, and I'll try for glorious paraglider return to boot.

edit: By skids, do you mean normal deployable landing gear?
    That would work. I'm sure that correctly placed landing legs could be presented as skids, as well.

Blog Entries
    Well, I'm working on this challenge - a preview picture of my first testflight, practicing orbital docking:

My Saturn IB first stage may keep exploding for reasons unknown, but at least the LES works...

In the mission objectives it says 1-2 launches, but can there be 4 if I send a backup vehicle?
    "To confine our attention to terrestrial matters would be to limit the human spirit."
    -Stephen Hawking