Page 1 of 19 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: [WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

Junior Rocket Scientist BahamutoD's Avatar

Post [WIP] Bahamuto Dynamics (Dockable Fairings) 11/5/13

Hello everyone. You may have seen me post videos and craft files on the forums, but one thing I've always wanted to do was create parts and addons. This is my first real attempt at modeling and texturing ever, and so far it has been quite fun.
    The first part I've made is an engine/fuel tank/RCS/landing legs combo which is intended to fit seamlessly with the 3 man Mark1-2 Command Pod.
    It's gonna have a bunch of different modules crammed into one part to serve as a platform for me learning how to implement them all.
    Eventually I will create a bunch of different parts and release the package, but for now, one part at a time.
    The goal is good balance, stock compatible appearance, and functions with style.

Heatshielded Senior Docking Port
    Download v0.1
    Included are 3 configurations of the large docking port. Two that start closed (one of which opens 180 degrees and one opens 270 degrees), and one that starts 270 degrees open.

Hollow Docking Rings/Fairings
    Download v0.2.1
    These are parts in which things can be mounted. The black rings on the rim also work as docking ports, allowing you to dock rockets with the engines hidden, or hide small parts within a stack.
    Comes in 1.25m, 2.5m, 3.75m
    Also includes a 1.25 hollow docking ring which, among other things, can be used to mount directly under a rocket while still allowing thrust through. You can also part clip a parachute unto it so you can have a docking port and parachute in one piece.

Short Demo:

Todo: Texture/model improvement.

Mk1-2 Propulsion System
    Download v0.3

0.3 Notes: Switched to a more modular setup to fix leg and thruster problems. Now has 4x 0.625 engine mounts. Included new Engine with swiveling nozzle.

0.2c Notes: Did a workaround for the pesky sticking problem. Thanks, Cheebsta, I used your 'one large collider' solution for now. You were right, it does land a little funny but its the only solution that works right now. I guess you can't have more than one moving collider touching the ground.

v0.2a video:

Open to suggestions.

Some of the parts in action:
    Last edited by BahamutoD; 11th November 2013 at 11:31.

Junior Rocket Scientist BostLabs's Avatar
    Oh I don't know. I think the wide landing legs stance would help with tipping issues when landing.Looks awesome!
    Beagle Flight - A story of skill, luck, risk, intrigue and high stakes in airless space.
    AAR - Beagle Flight Completed.
    AAR - Beagle Flight - Duna. - Coming Soon.

Shadows are so hard to get right sometimes. - The Director

Very nice first part Yes, it is ideal for landers on light gravity bodies. And yes, i like wide stance of legs too - no more capsules tumbling head over heels when they land on a slope. Now suggestion: add four built in RCS blocks and some monopropellant - it will make for a pretty, simple service module.
    "Thou shalt not take Murphy's Laws in vain."
    "Duct tape is like the Force. It has light side, dark side, and is keeping the Universe together."
    "No one gets left behind."

There are a few tutorials on landing legs in Hoojiwana's info collection thread in Add-on Development.

I like the part! Does the bottom fit 3.75m parts? That would be snazzy.

The only thing I see is that the first shot you posted looks a little odd. Did you use smooth shading? Sometimes that can get weird if you don't dampen its effects with edge split/smoothing groups.
    Modding, noun: The act of enjoying a game so much that you stop playing it for months on end in order to play it slightly differently.

Rocketry Enthusiast blubbermonkeys's Avatar
    Nice! It reminds me of the SpaceX dragon landing.

Rocketry Enthusiast
    Great Job! I'm always looking for stockish mods to add. I don't have anything against other art styles but when people make objects that fit the style of stock it really takes the cake, thanks!

It's a lovely part, and I wouldn't care much for landing legs, a sufficient number of smallest AIES landing legs look nice and keeps it at the perfect distance from the ground. FASA Gemini landing legs will do even better

But dV is a bit low, which limits it's applications considerably.

Quote Originally Posted by Scotius View Post
    Very nice first part Yes, it is ideal for landers on light gravity bodies. And yes, i like wide stance of legs too - no more capsules tumbling head over heels when they land on a slope. Now suggestion: add four built in RCS blocks and some monopropellant - it will make for a pretty, simple service module.
    Thanks! I was going to do add RCS but thought the reaction wheels were more than enough... Forgot about docking though! I'll add that next along with possible legs.

Quote Originally Posted by Torminator View Post
    There are a few tutorials on landing legs in Hoojiwana's info collection thread in Add-on Development.

I like the part! Does the bottom fit 3.75m parts? That would be snazzy.

The only thing I see is that the first shot you posted looks a little odd. Did you use smooth shading? Sometimes that can get weird if you don't dampen its effects with edge split/smoothing groups.
    Ah, not sure how I missed those lander leg links. Thanks. The bottom fits 2.5m still. After I finish this part, I'm thinking of making a big brother version that's larger with stronger engines and goes from 2.5m to 3.75m.
    Which parts look odd? I did smooth shading with edge split, but I will probably learn how to use smoothing groups (I assume that means choosing which parts to smooth).

Quote Originally Posted by blubbermonkeys View Post
    Nice! It reminds me of the SpaceX dragon landing.
    That was the inspiration!

Okay so the built-in landing legs are slowly coming along. I've overcome tons of random and strange problems and finally have the part in game with the animations working, but now it gets stuck to the ground whenever it lands. Whether or not the gear is down, it will be stuck to the ground even at full throttle and wont be released until the extend/retract animation is played (hitting G). So odd...

Edit: Using ModuleLandingGear instead of ModuleAnimationGeneric or w/e seemed to do the trick. On to RCS.
    Last edited by BahamutoD; 7th September 2013 at 19:46.

I think smoothing groups are a 3ds/maya thing, while edge split is a Blender thing. I've always just used Edge Split. The only part that really looked odd was the upper circumference in the first screenshot. Could just be the angle, though.
    Modding, noun: The act of enjoying a game so much that you stop playing it for months on end in order to play it slightly differently.