Page 12 of 36 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast
Results 111 to 120 of 360

Thread: [0.23] Squad Texture Reduction Pack - B9 and KW Packs also

  1. #111
    This is the latest version of the UNIX script: Debloat script. It was updated when PolecatEZ updated the debloat script for removing stock IVA textures.
    It SHOULD work on Mac with the same instructions for Linux.
    Instructions:
    Paste the contents of the pastebin link into a file in your /Gamedata folder. Call it debloat.sh.
    In a terminal, cd into the /Gamedata folder, and run: chmod 700 [file]
    Now execute the file with: sudo [filename]
    Now follow the rest of PolecatEZ's directions.

    I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but I don't use a Mac so I'm giving the most straightforward directions to running a script on both Mac & Linux.

  2. #112
    So what are the guidelines for mod makers? So far my mods have been small because they are mostly plugin code, but my Life Support mod does have a large number of (currently ugly) parts. What size should I make my textures? For small, medium, and large parts? What type of texture should I make? I know not to use png anymore, but which is best?
    Lead Engineer, Thunder Aerospace Corporation
    Products: Fuel Balancer, Atomic Clock, Self-Destruct, Part Lister, Life Support, Sticky Controls

    Is KSP crashing? Something not working right? Get some help for modded installs or unmodded installs. Help us help you

  3. #113
    Can we calm down about FusTek? Clearly there has been some frick-up in communication but as PoleCatEZ has yet to release a FusTek pack, I suggest everyone cut him some slack.

    I know we all want to be seen to be standing up for modders rights or freedom of whatever or the "lawz of teh NternitZ" but there is actually no issue here. Until someone releases some code all we've got is...well I don't know what you'd call it but its pretty unpleasant.

    But thats just me, sitting here squeezing more mods into GameData.

  4. #114
    Alright, I misunderstood what had happened.

    Here comes a very rare thing; an apology on the internet.

    I, wasmic, OPENLY APOLOGIZE, ON THE INTERNET FOR ALL TO SEE, FOR INDIRECTLY CALLING PolecatEZ A ..... I AM SORRY AND WILL TRY TO RESEARCH BETTER BEFFORE CALLING PEOPLE DICKS NEXT TIME.


    EDIT: Oh, and I have a question. Is it possible to get a version that doesn't downsize the IVA's? I'd like to reduce the part textures, but I'd also like to keep the IVA's as they are.
    Last edited by wasmic; 4th October 2013 at 09:51.

  5. #115
    How can I do it on the Mac?

  6. #116
    Quote Originally Posted by amo28 View Post
    This is the latest version of the UNIX script: Debloat script. It was updated when PolecatEZ updated the debloat script for removing stock IVA textures.
    It SHOULD work on Mac with the same instructions for Linux.
    Instructions:
    Paste the contents of the pastebin link into a file in your /Gamedata folder. Call it debloat.sh.
    In a terminal, cd into the /Gamedata folder, and run: chmod 700 [file]
    Now execute the file with: sudo [filename]
    Now follow the rest of PolecatEZ's directions.

    I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but I don't use a Mac so I'm giving the most straightforward directions to running a script on both Mac & Linux.
    I reposted this to page 1, hopefully this helps a few peoples.


    Quote Originally Posted by TaranisElsu View Post
    So what are the guidelines for mod makers? So far my mods have been small because they are mostly plugin code, but my Life Support mod does have a large number of (currently ugly) parts. What size should I make my textures? For small, medium, and large parts? What type of texture should I make? I know not to use png anymore, but which is best?
    You'll ask a lot of modders and get a lot of different opinions. For my 2 cents, norma/shadow maps shouldn't need to be very large, maybe 512 max. All else should be relative to the actual size of the object in game or the level of fine detail you want to preserve. Until Squad makes some kind of dynamic texture quality loading, I would also suggest you release a hi-rez and low-rez pack for your users.

    .png's are actually fine, but you need to remember that the file size for .png is does not reflect properly what the RAM usage will be. The size on your hard drive is just an illusion. The game bases things on pixel dimensions when it re-constitutes the graphics files, so 512x512 is about 750k-1mb regardless of the .png file size, for example. In my next update, I'll try running things through the .png converter before I shrink them to see if I get better results.

    Another note is consolidation of textures using the MODEL command. This is helpful, but not as much as you want to believe. It does cut down on initial load times and a little on your RAM footprint (and HD space)...until you make a space ship with 20 - 30 copies of the same part. Then, that lower texture size starts to look real nice, as the next lower size knocks off 75% off the total load for that craft. This is the reason why B9 still ran like a pig on some systems even though the creator did a very good job on using MODEL for consolidation.

    Quote Originally Posted by wasmic View Post
    EDIT: Oh, and I have a question. Is it possible to get a version that doesn't downsize the IVA's? I'd like to reduce the part textures, but I'd also like to keep the IVA's as they are.
    I can't think of where I did reduce the texture detail of the main "inner" piece for the cockpits, all the detail should still be there. I did reduce some shadow maps, and ripped out an alpha channel, but LOD should still be very much intact. Not all cockpits have a "main piece" though, and are very much just a collection of little bits. You can still see your Kerbal family photos and read the sticky notes just fine.
    Last edited by PolecatEZ; 4th October 2013 at 12:06.

  7. #117
    Spacecraft Engineer kyle.mk.howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    233
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by amo28 View Post
    This is the latest version of the UNIX script: Debloat script. It was updated when PolecatEZ updated the debloat script for removing stock IVA textures.
    It SHOULD work on Mac with the same instructions for Linux.
    Instructions:
    Paste the contents of the pastebin link into a file in your /Gamedata folder. Call it debloat.sh.
    In a terminal, cd into the /Gamedata folder, and run: chmod 700 [file]
    Now execute the file with: sudo [filename]
    Now follow the rest of PolecatEZ's directions.

    I'm sure there are other ways of doing this, but I don't use a Mac so I'm giving the most straightforward directions to running a script on both Mac & Linux.
    Should I be just downloading the file? When I save it, it saves as a txt and I have to change the name of it in finder. I am only getting one file..

    Anyways, I run terminal and I get to sudo debloat.sh and terminal says command not found.

    Help?

  8. #118
    Spacecraft Engineer kyle.mk.howard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    233
    Blog Entries
    1
    I got the script to run, but the commands in the script are coming up not found. :/

    edit: found the issue, changing the command in my script to see if this works..

    edit 2: and the script still doesn't work. Now I need help.
    Last edited by kyle.mk.howard; 4th October 2013 at 11:58. Reason: failure report

  9. #119
    So...I know what a normal map is but what's an alpha channel? While I'm at it, whats an "emmisive" and a "specular"? Sorry if its a bit of a n0o0o0oob question.

  10. #120
    Rocket Scientist Sapphire's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    962
    Quote Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
    So...I know what a normal map is but what's an alpha channel? While I'm at it, whats an "emmisive" and a "specular"? Sorry if its a bit of a n0o0o0oob question.
    From my little experience using GIMP, an alpha channel is a transparency layer. Like how .jpgs all have white backgrounds, but .pngs can have transparent backgrounds.

    Addons making your game crash? Try this!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •