Page 1 of 85 1231151 ... LastLast

Thread: Modular Fuel System Continued v3.3 (OBSOLETE)

Modular Fuel System Continued v3.3 (OBSOLETE)

Note: This has been superseded by Real Fuels (for all your MFS/RF needs), and Modular Fuel Tanks (for your stock-MFS needs).
    RF is by me: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64118
    MFT is by taniwha: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/64117

Consider this thread over and done.
    ===========
    I'm maintaining Modular Fuel System in ialdabaoth's absence; he has blessed the endeavor and was even kind enough to send me his dev build for this (and Deadly Reentry, which I'm also going to be working on). So here is the promised thread.
    This integrates Chestburtster's work with extending MFS compatability; indeed Chestburster and I are working together on this so it's not fair to say it's just me maintaining it!

Description
    Modular Fuel System does the following:
    *It allows any supported tank to be filled with exactly how much or how little fuel you want, of whatever type you want (though different tanks may allow or disallow certain fuels; jet fuel tanks won't take oxidizer for instance)
    That's the classic modular fuels.
    Then, there's the Real Fuels mode. That opens up some new options. First, new resources get added, so engines can use real-world fuels, and KSP fuels are changed to be their real-world counterparts. Also, Isps are made realistic for the type of engine. Finally, engines can be of multiple tech levels; at higher tech levels they have higher thrust, lower mass, and better Isp.
    Second, engines can have multiple configurations (for example, an upper stage could support a kerosene + liquid oxygen mode, and a liquid hydrogen + liquid oxygen mode). These modes have different thrust, Isp, etc.

You can access all MFS-related GUIs ingame by going to the Action Group editor in the VAB/SPH and clicking on a tank or (if RF is installed) an engine.

Now, I'm offering three premade builds, in case the whole unzip-RealFuels-thing was confusing.
    Regular Modular Fuels (no RealFuels): https://www.dropbox.com/s/rge60psous...mCont_v3_3.zip
    Modular Fuel Tanks with Real Fuels (KSP-style masses of engines and tanks): https://www.dropbox.com/s/7vj48njyo6...ont_v3_3RF.zip
    Modular Fuel Tanks with Real Fuels and realistic masses (for use with the Real Solar System mod): https://www.dropbox.com/s/lpq7wgkdse...t_v3_3RFRM.zip

Also, see the Realism Overhaul release thread for an alternative set of engine configs for RFRM. With those engines I don't feel obligated to maintain their original mass or thrust, so they have a much more diverse and realistic feel. (Successor to KATO Engines)

From the readme:
    This update is by NathanKell and Chestburster.
    ialdabaoth (who is awesome) created Modular Fuels, and we're maintaining it in his absence.
    This update supercedes any dev release by NathanKell or MFS Configs release by Chestburster.

License remains CC-BY-SA as modified by ialdabaoth.

Also included: Module Manager (by sarbian, based on ialdabaoth's work). See Module Manager thread for details and license and source: http://http://forum.kerbalspaceprogr.../threads/55219
    Module Manager is required for MFSC to work.

Mods Supported, beyond Stock KSP:
    AIES
    B9 (partial--full soon)
    FASA (frizzank's Gemini etc.)
    HexCans
    Kethane
    KOSMOS
    KSP Interstellar
    KSPX
    KW Rocketry
    NovaPunch
    RLA Stockalikes (partial--full soon)
    Rocket Power Industruies
    Rocketdyne F-1 in real scale (use in RFRM mode for real mass. Must have space taken out of part name, so it's now F1_RocketMotor)
    Space Shuttle Engines
    SDHI Service Module
    Spherical Tanks
    Taverio's Pizzan and Aerospace (TVPP)
    THHS
    Touhou Torpedo's Mk3 and Mk4 mods

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    0. Download the appropriate archive! See thread for details. MFSC now offers three builds (though any build can be made into any other).
    1. Delete any existing ModularFuelTanks folder in your KSP/GameData folder. This is VITAL.
    2. Extract this archive to your KSP/GameData folder (NOTE CHANGE)

To go from ModularFuels, alone, to Modular Fuels + Real Fuels: extract the RealFuels.zip in the ModularFuelTanks folder.
    To go from Real Fuels to Real Fuels + Realistic Masses, go to that RealFuels folder you created and change the line useRealisticMasses = false to useRealisticMasses = true
    (To go back, set it back to false)
    To go from Real Fuels to just ModularFuels, delete that RealFuels folder.

AN OVERVIEW OF FUEL TYPES AND TECH LEVELS ARE IN THE README BELOW THE CHANGELOG

==========
    Changelog:
    v3.3 = \/
    *Swapped how thrust and mass are changed by TL increase.
    *Made the battery multiplier (how much charge per unit of volume) configurable in MFSSettings
    *Changed Xenon around. Tanks now hold 1/10 what they used to, and Xenon is now 10x as dense. It's kept pressurized at a hopefully reasonable temperature to yield that 0.2 g/cc density (what I've set it to).
    *Changed tank masses again to try go get them ever closer in line with the real world.
    *Added Balloon tanktype (practically no basemass; structural integrity kept by internal pressure). C.f. Atlas missile / LV. Same for BalloonCryo. Since the tank goes all the way to the skin they hold slightly more (at least the StretchyTank ones, the only ones so far, do).
    *Fixed propellant ratios so that they are displayed in percents rather than 0.x ratios that get rounded.
    *Added tooltips for hovering over autofill buttons to say which engines use that mixture.
    *Added SRFirefox's fix for NTRs so nuclear fuel lasts longer. Also increased ElectricCharge generation.
    *Added Syntin; changed Methane to LqdMethane to comport with other fuels.
    ===============
    Oh, and because I know how this game works, the pix:

About a quarter of the engines we support.
    Last edited by NathanKell; 30th December 2013 at 03:27.

You forgot the bit about ialdabaoth being awesome. I think it was a license requirement

Quote Originally Posted by NathanKell View Post
    ialdabaoth (who is awesome)
    Second line of the readme, as shown above. And he is, I'd say it even without the requirement.

Uweeehehehehe.

Okay, it's not confusing now.

Although if Sabres are now Configurable, I'm going to have to fiddle with my planes...again...I added a fuel tank to both of them to accomodate the fact the LH2/LOX has a lower Density :p
    Signature Pending, please wait...

Cool.

Configurable in the sense that a hybrid engine's modes are stored the same was as a modular engine's configs. Don't think any other fuel modes have been added for SABREs...

Cool.

Configurable in the sense that a hybrid engine's modes are stored the same was as a modular engine's configs. Don't think any other fuel modes have been added for SABREs...
    Oh. Well w/e that's easy then, but I still have to see how messed up the Delta-V is again. :p

Oh yeah, if you're not using LH2/LOX, you'll have to reconfigure your tanks. We no longer support LF/Oxidizer for engines (replaced with LF/Lox, like real life; the third mixture is hypergolic NTO/MMH), and the ratio for LF/Lox changed slightly. LH2/Lox ratio didn't change, although density changed ever so slightly for both.

Of course, for any engines we haven't touched yet, there's still LF/Ox.

Oh yeah, if you're not using LH2/LOX, you'll have to reconfigure your tanks. We no longer support LF/Oxidizer for engines (replaced with LF/Lox, like real life; the third mixture is hypergolic NTO/MMH), and the ratio for LF/Lox changed slightly. LH2/Lox ratio didn't change, although density changed ever so slightly for both.

Of course, for any engines we haven't touched yet, there's still LF/Ox.
    Well, Sabres. The one's not so easy to add tanks to because they're welded, it was too flopsy without it (it's still a bit flopsy WITH it, frankly.)

I'd already added an extra tank to both of my spaceplane designs to compensate for the lost Delta-V, making up the rest with their more efficient flight profiles from the reduced weight. I'm going to have to check them both to make sure that with all the changes they still work and have acceptable amounts of delta-V.

I've also got to recreate the cfgs for the welded body of the one, because I just deleted them without making a note of the values. Bleh. Can I add them to a new .cfg file I can stick in there, or do I have to put them in one of the existing ones?

Thanks for taking this over! Looking forward to where you take this, as well as deadly reentry!
    Accomplished with RT2, RSS, FAR, RealFuels:

Also, do you have any info on how I can estimate how much propellant I'll lose due to evaporation(for example, LH2 on an interplantery flight with a nuclear rocket)
    Accomplished with RT2, RSS, FAR, RealFuels: