Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do you have to recover a vessel to gain the science from it?

Do you have to recover a vessel to gain the science from it?

Ok so I've just started career mode, and my first few missions have be Kerbin or Mun orbit-and-return missions. As far as I can tell, aside from the science you get from sending reports, you also get science when you finish the mission and recover the capsule (recovery of ship from kerbin orbit, recovery of ship from mun flyby...etc). So my question is this: How does this effect missions that do not return safely to Kerbin, like satellites that stay in orbit, or unmanned landers?

You don't get recovery science points from them, simple as that. Just put antennas on them and transmit the data.

transmitted data is added to your total, data you keep and are unable to recover for whatever reason is lost. crashing, running out of power or fuel and unable to return, terminating flight ect...

But now I wonder if there is any loss/gain of total points when comparing transmission to delivery by hand?

YES YES YES....there is. And it tells you that when you get a report....if you transmit you only get 20-60% of the data....which is why I have NEVER ONCE TRANSMITTED DATA. It is useless. You can make 500-700 science on one trip to minmus. You can do an EVA report for every area you are in. (LKO, HKO, Low munar orbit, High munar orbit, etc.) I ended my minmus trip with like 8-9 eva reports, ONE crew report, SEVEN goo canisters and ONE science station thing. I got like 4-500 for the science i collected then you get a bonus for recovering a vehicle that has been to other places (1-200 science).

Quote Originally Posted by Mykill Metal View Post
    if you transmit you only get 20-60% of the data....which is why I have NEVER ONCE TRANSMITTED DATA. It is useless.
    I think you haven't tried out the system enough. You can transmit multiple times and there's a diminishing return, meaning you have to do more transmits to break even, however in the end you get the same amount of points. Yes you get recovery bonus but in some cases it's a lot easier/better to just transmit.

Transmissions are by no mean useless. Last night I sent a twin probe mission to Duna system, one probe landed on Duna and one on Ike. On the way there they did all the science they could, in solar orbit and then in Ike/Duna orbit, not to mention atmosphere and whatnot. I probably missed a few altitudes and experiments, but I came out with over 2000 science points, from two probes. Nothing returned whatsoever, just transmitted.

2000+ science for a single launch from KSC isn't all that bad, when all you do is transmit.

I was talking manned craft. Of course you would have to transmit probe data. But if you WERE to bring the probe back and land, you would get more SCIENCE. There IS a loss. There is no arguing that. And by useless I meant "not getting 100% of the science".
    Last edited by Mykill Metal; 19th October 2013 at 06:41. Reason: added a word

Oh and had you done a manned mission and recovered it you would have gotten probably 3-4000 science...you LOSE at least 40-60% of the data. Meaning you LOSE 40-60% of the science.

Quote Originally Posted by Mykill Metal View Post
    Oh and had you done a manned mission and recovered it you would have gotten probably 3-4000 science...you LOSE at least 40-60% of the data. Meaning you LOSE 40-60% of the science.
    You don't lose any of the data. You simply gain an added recovery value, which looking at my manned Mün/Minmus missions wasn't much. The extra you're getting is EVA reports and surface samples. By doing several transmissions you 'mine out' the data of a specific location and in the end get the same amount you would've if you had returned that same data, just without the added recovery which in my view wasn't much.

Each location has a "progress" that you eventually complete, thus I'll still get the science points that I "missed" first time around once I do send a manned mission to Duna. I'm not sure if the recovery points also have a progress/diminishing return but that's for down the road.

Also as far as my own testing/playing has shown me each experiment can only hold one result, so you wouldn't be able to trigger them for each new location. EVA reports you can do that with from what I can tell since they're stored internally in the pod/module, but not with standalone experiments. I may be wrong though, I'll have to test more.

Either we're talking about two different things or you are just wrong.... If i launch a ship into orbit with one goo canister. Do the goo experiment. Then transmit the data. I will get say 20 science. If i did the exact same thing but instead of transmitting I came back down and recovered it, it would be 25 science + the recovery bonus. It says it on the transmit button how much data it will transmit. You will only receive the posted amount of data. Usually it says 20-60% depending on what you're sending.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast