This update is by NathanKell.
ialdabaoth (who is awesome) created Deadly Reentry 2, based on r4m0n's Deadly Reentry; this is a continuation.
License remains CC-BY-SA as modified by ialdabaoth.
Also included: Module Manager (by sarbian, swamp_ig, and ialdabaoth). See Module Manager thread for details and license and source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219
Module Manager is required for DREC to work.
A note on settings (regardless of whether you're using FAR):
1. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: don't change anything
2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want "harder" / hotter reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start. You will need heat shields built for RSS. Place this file in your DeadlyReentry folder.
3. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want heating to be realistic: don't change anything. Use RSS class heat shields. You can get heatshields configured for RSS, and much more, in the Realism Overhaul release thread.
4. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want traditional Kerbin sized-level of heating (aka "easy") set _heat_ multiplier to 12 or so.
1. If you currently have Deadly Reentry installed, go to KSP/GameData/DeadlyReentry and delete everything (files and folders) except custom.cfg. Also delete any old versions of ModuleManager (modulemanager.dll for example) in your KSP/GameData folder.
2. Extract this archive to your KSP/GameData folder.
Be careful how you reenter. Make sure your craft has a heatshield (the Mk1 pod has a built-in heatshield, as do stock spaceplanes; the Mk1-2 needs a heat shield from the Structural tab). For a low Kerbin orbit reentry, try for a periapsis of about 20km.
Hold down ALT+D+R to enable debugging. This lets you change settings in-game, and shows additional information when you right-click parts. After making any changes, hit save to write to custom.cfg. Hold ALT+D+R to make the window go away and disable debugging.
*Recompiled for 0.24.2
*Recompiled for 0.24.1
*Nerfed overpowered 1.25m heatshield, had double the dissipation it should.
Source on Github