This update is by NathanKell.
ialdabaoth (who is awesome) created Deadly Reentry 2, based on r4m0n's Deadly Reentry, and I'm maintaining it in ialdabaoth's absence.
License remains CC-BY-SA as modified by ialdabaoth.
Also included: Module Manager (by sarbian, based on ialdabaoth's work). See Module Manager thread for details and license and source: http://http://forum.kerbalspaceprogr.../threads/55219
Module Manager is required for DREC to work.
A note on settings:
1. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: don't change anything
2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want realistic levels of heat on reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start. You will need heat shields built for RSS.
3. Playing on Real-scale Kerbin (RSS), want realistic heating: don't change anything. Use RSS class heat shields.
4. Playing on Real-scale Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: set _heat_ multiplier to 12 or so.
You can get heatshields configured for RSS, and much more, in the Realism Overhaul release thread.
1. If you currently have Deadly Reentry installed, go to KSP/GameData/DeadlyReentry and delete everything (files and folders) except custom.cfg. Also delete any old versions of ModuleManager (modulemanager.dll for example) in your KSP/GameData folder. If you already have ModuleManager1.5.dll or a more recent version that that, keep it, and do not extract the one in this archive.
2. Extract this archive to your KSP/GameData folder (per above, do not extract Module Manager if you already have 1.5+)
Be careful how you reenter. Make sure your craft has a heatshield (the Mk1 pod has a built-in heatshield, as do stock spaceplanes; the Mk1-2 needs a heat shield from the Structural tab). For a low Kerbin orbit reentry, try for a periapsis of about 20km.
Hold down ALT+D+R to enable debugging. This lets you change settings in-game, and shows additional information when you right-click parts. After making any changes, hit save to write to custom.cfg. Hold ALT+D+R to make the window go away and disable debugging.
v4.6 = \/
*Made AblativeShielding tweakable.
*Added fix from HoneyFox to detect shielded parts the way FAR does
*Added version checking (per Majiir's template)
*Recompiled for 0.23.5
Source on Github