Page 1 of 309 1231151101 ... LastLast

Thread: [0.90] Deadly Reentry v6.4.0, Dec 16, 2014

[0.90] Deadly Reentry v6.4.0, Dec 16, 2014

This update is by Starwaster.
    ialdabaoth (who is awesome) created Deadly Reentry 2, based on r4m0n's Deadly Reentry; this is a continuation. This continues NathanKell's work on Deadly Reentry continued, and he might contribute more at times.

License remains CC-BY-SA as modified by ialdabaoth.
    Also included: Module Manager (by sarbian, swamp_ig, and ialdabaoth). See Module Manager thread for details and license and source: http://forum.kerbalspaceprogram.com/threads/55219
    Module Manager is required for DREC to work.

Note: Does not support KSP 0.25 Windows x64 release.

[spoiler=A few words on difficulty (some portions may be obsolete)]
    A note on settings (regardless of whether you're using FAR):

1. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want traditional DRE functionality: don't change anything
    2. Playing on Stock Kerbin, want "harder" / hotter reentry (i.e. faking an 8km/sec reentry): set the shockwave exponent and multiplier to taste; I suggest exponent 1.12 to start.
    3. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want heating to be realistic: don't change anything.
    4. Playing on Earth or 10x Kerbin (RSS), want traditional Kerbin sized-level of heating (aka "easy") set _heat_ multiplier to 12 or so.

• (RSS specific shields should no longer be required as of the latest version)

INSTALL INSTRUCTIONS:
    1. If you currently have Deadly Reentry installed, go to KSP/GameData/DeadlyReentry and delete everything (files and folders) except custom.cfg. Also delete any old versions of ModuleManager (modulemanager.dll for example) in your KSP/GameData folder.
    2. Extract this archive to your KSP/GameData folder.

USAGE INSTRUCTIONS:
    Be careful how you reenter. Make sure your craft has a heatshield (the Mk1 pod has a built-in heatshield, as do stock spaceplanes; the Mk1-2 needs a heat shield from the Structural tab). For a low Kerbin orbit reentry, try for a periapsis of about 20km. On Kerbin, do not deploy your parachuteuntil speed has dropped below ~350m/s. (typically you should be at a safe velocity by the time you reach an altitude of 7km)

Use the new Toolbar menu to enable the debugging menu. This lets you change settings in-game, and shows additional information when you right-click parts. After making any changes, hit save to write to custom.cfg. Use the toolbar button to hide the debugging menu.

[Spoiler: Compatible 3rd party shield packs!]

[Spoiler: Click me for Frequently Asked Questions!]

==========
    [Spoiler: Click Me For Change Log!!!]

Download (latest official)

Source on Github

Last edited by Starwaster; 16th December 2014 at 23:46. Reason: KSP 0.90 release (DRE 6.4.0)

[0.24.2] Deadly Reentry Continued v5.3.2, Oct 4 14 again

...reserved...
    Last edited by NathanKell; 7th October 2014 at 16:14.

Awesome as always, Nathan :-D

Aw, thanks!

A note to anyone playing with Human-size Kerbin: setting temperature mult to 8 (instead of the stock 25) seemed to work just about right for me.

Nice to see this being working on Nathan. If I wasn't already hitting the crash level of memory usage I'd give it a whirl.

Great work!
    Accomplished with RT2, RSS, FAR, RealFuels:

Thanks, folks.

Ratzap, except for like a meg or two of parts, it shouldn't take any memory to speak of.

I see your name, Nathan, on an awful lot of the best mods, do you ever get any time to actually play? Or eat?! Cheers for the hard work.

Quick question - the global scalar for g-tolerance: set to 2.5, does this mean that all parts will explode at 2.5g's? Or is it a multiplier to some other property? How would I "turn off" g-induced damage?

Rocket Scientist TheCanadianVendingMachine's Avatar
    So, this is DR Continued, continued?
    Seeing a spacesuited astronaut standing on a platform on the end of the robot arm in space is a crystal-clear sign we live in the future.

You can't fix Stupid with Duct tape
    (Intended to be "Stupid")

Quote Originally Posted by p1t1o View Post
    Quick question - the global scalar for g-tolerance: set to 2.5, does this mean that all parts will explode at 2.5g's? Or is it a multiplier to some other property? How would I "turn off" g-induced damage?
    As an addendum to this question, have the g values changed significantly from the 2.3 version? I've only just started dipping my toes into DR and it seems wise to be aware of significant changes of that sort.

Semi-related: re-entry effects are positively terrifying now and I love it.

Page 1 of 309 1231151101 ... LastLast