Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: B9 4.0c Texture Reduction Pack (Extreme)

B9 4.0c Texture Reduction Pack (Extreme)

This is a texture reduction package for the B9 Aerospace 4.0c mod. B9 is created, distributed, and maintained by bac9.

You MUST have B9 Aerospace 4.0c installed to use this package.

This reduction pack frees up 1.09GB of the 1.30GB RAM footprint claimed by B9 4.0c running on a Windows platform. You WILL notice some loss of texture quality when viewing the B9 parts at extreme close range. Examples include: blurred-out lettering, fuzzy-looking rust patterns, less detail on heat tiles, etc. When zoomed out so that the entire craft is visible, the quality loss in the textures is hard to discern.

If you enjoy bac9′s beautiful artwork and want to keep all the details, do not install this package. If you rarely spend time examining your craft from 10cm away and are more concerned with freeing up RAM for other mods, then this is the right package for you.

To use:

1) Install B9 Aerospace 4.0c.
    2) Download the texture reduction pack on Spaceport: click here (mirror download on MediaFire).
    3) Unzip the archive into your KSP root folder. Agree to merging folders and overwriting existing items with new ones.

To uninistall:

Re-install B9 Aerospace 4.0c.

Following bac9′s preference, this work is licensed under .

This package contains model textures only and does not include any plugins or other functionality of the B9 Aerospace 4.0c mod.

Credits for the original work:
    bac9-flcl – 3D modeling, textures
    Taverius – Configs, craft design, testing, 3D modeling

Screenshots

Here's a look at some of the original textures by bac9:

Here's the same craft using the reduced textures:
    Last edited by attosecond; 25th October 2013 at 10:30. Reason: now with before and after screenshots

So, how much does this reduce the textures to? 256? I usually rescale my textures based on part scale and detail. The biggest parts get a 512*512 texture, while the very smallest get a 128*128 texture. I also always rescale normal and emmissive maps to half of the diffuse, though I never reduce them to under 128*128. Also, especially with B9, I find that a reduction from 1024 to 256 definitely is noticeable, even during normal flight.

How much does it take off from their own low resolution texture pack ?
    In 23.5 (Yeah it needs updating)

Thanks so much for this, even with the low textures I had to delete B9 as it was just too big. Of course if the Squad reduction pack gets updated that might change but for now I'll take whatever lets me use more mods.

Quote Originally Posted by wasmic View Post
    So, how much does this reduce the textures to? 256? I usually rescale my textures based on part scale and detail. The biggest parts get a 512*512 texture, while the very smallest get a 128*128 texture. I also always rescale normal and emmissive maps to half of the diffuse, though I never reduce them to under 128*128. Also, especially with B9, I find that a reduction from 1024 to 256 definitely is noticeable, even during normal flight.
    For the most part, the textures were reduced by a factor of 4: 1024x1024 -> 256x256. It was not automated, however. Textures were evaluated on a per-file basis, and the most complicated were reduced less (or not at all, in the case of two IVA views). A few received more reduction, due to their simplicity. With proper choice of bicubic sampler in Photoshop, the image quality loss can be somewhat mitigated. I don't notice the changes during normal flight, but then again I wear glasses. Maybe someone with better eyesight would see something troubling.

Quote Originally Posted by Mokmo View Post
    How much does it take off from their own low resolution texture pack ?
    I neglected to measure this, but if memory serves that pack takes about 200MB off, whereas mine takes off 1.09GB.

Nice! I will have to try this! Any plans for KW rocketry? That mod needs some reduction. It sucks i have to choose between my fav mods or ksp will crash. Stupid 32bit program limits.

No plans as of now--I just completed my NovaPunch reduction pack, and I'm ready for a breather. If there's a big clamor I might tackle KW sometime soon--I don't use this mod, myself.

Quote Originally Posted by attosecond View Post
    I neglected to measure this, but if memory serves that pack takes about 200MB off, whereas mine takes off 1.09GB.
    I think the reduced texture pack that comes with B9 4.0c freed up almost 1GB of RAM for me.

VERY, very helpful, thank you.